1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

flopping vs. embellishing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by awc713, May 15, 2015.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

[​IMG]

Curious to see how fans view flopping and embellishing, and if they are the same thing, or if there's a difference.

NBA fans who hate Harden always cite his flopping. To me, he's not flopping, he's embellishing. I'm not defending embellishing, but I do think there is a distinct difference. Harden forces defenders into fouling him, either by showing the ball or by positioning his body in a manner that forces the defender to place his body in a poor position. Regardless, most times [not every time], it seems as though a foul does in fact occur, and Harden embellishes the existing foul.

Perhaps flopping, as seen above, is essentially the embellishment of a foul before a foul in fact occurs.
    Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. awc713

awc713 Member

Here is CP3's 'flop' when he drove on Harden last game, apologies for screwing up the link in the original post:

https://vine.co/v/eKdMg3XtJAW

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't "love" embellishing but it doesn't really make me mad, no matter what player does it. If there is a foul there I might laugh at the embellishment, but I don't get mad because I get it. You want to make sure the ref sees the foul.

What I can't stand is faking contact. It just makes me so mad. That's flopping. There was one play last night where Chris Paul was driving and he put his forearm into the defender's chest pushed forward as he drove by and then threw his head back like he got fouled.

Honestly, it's cheating. You are flat out cheating by tricking the referee into thinking a foul occurred when none did. It should be punished.

1 person likes this.
  4. Remlap

Remlap Member

^^^ That CP flop was unbelievable that the refs fell for it and also the announcers (yes, YOU Jon Barry).

Not to mention he took about 5 steps before getting the ball in the air

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yep, this is one I was referring to. Horrible, horrible call.

Seriously. How do you get a continuation on a travel?

He took four steps after he picked the ball up on the drive.

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Repped.

These are essentially my exact thoughts on the topic. Don't love embellishing, but if there's a foul, there's a foul. Faking contact is just shameful.

That said, James is guilty of both - though 95% of the time I'd say he's merely embellishing.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The CP3 play offered in this thread was a legit foul on Harden.
    Did CP3 embellish a bit? Sure.
    But it was absolutely a foul.

The only anger I'd have in the call is that they've not been giving Harden similar calls throughout the series, with the exception of a few quarters here and there (second quarter last night).

8. ibm

ibm Member

ideally you'd like to see neither. but there is a difference.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How many times did Ariza and Brew run into Jordan under the goal for it to be a NO FOUL

All season . .you inside the circle. . .automatic foul . .. not last nite
    It is sad that players are FORCED to embellish to get typical obvious fouls

Rocket River

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's not true. The rule isn't in the circle automatic foul. That's on charge attempts.

For bigs, when attempting to block the shot, if they go straight up, they are usually not called for the foul if directly square and in front of the offensive player.

They didn't show the replay so was hard to tell, but Jordan did at least appear to go straight-up. He probably got some body in a way that it could have been called a foul, but i can't be sure. That said, you want them to call it the same both ways - Smith has been called for more than one foul on Blake when Josh has basically just gone straight-up.

I want Jordan to pick up fouls as much as the next guy, but he is a really smart and athletic defender. It's easier said than done. The refs aren't just going to call fouls if Ariza or Brewer or Harden jump into him.

11. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

That's a pretty nice gather step

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't agree that it was a foul. Harden was moving his feet alongside Paul's movement. That was a legit defensive move. Paul bumped into the defender. It should have been a no call. If it is a foul, it's only because NBA officiating almost always call that, which I absolutely hate it.

That said, Harden does the same thing often, intentionally bumping into defender and getting the call. That's why people hate him. But Harden usually doesn't act like what Paul did there. It was pure acting.

13. ibm

ibm Member

+1.

and the and-1 call was even worse.

14. JackLordsHair

JackLordsHair Member

That is horrid to watch, not sure there is a player in the NBA i dislike more than that tranny looking douche Paul, its no wonder he is doing a lot of commercial work despite being an awful actor. How that is continuation just further magnifies how awful the NBA officiating is over all and how certain players can literally get away with murder and nothing is done about it. At the risk of jinxing us for Sunday i sooooo hope Paul blows out his hammy completely in game 7 dude is a farce and faker as much as he is a "hall of fame" NBA PG.

15. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

anyone have a gif of Blake flying like 30 ft. on his flop yesterday?

16. marky :)

marky :) Member

What's worse is that Harden gets more hate for flopping/embellishing than Chris Paul.

17. sabesque

sabesque Member

Not all embellishments are equal. Blake Griffin doing a summersault when he got that hard foul from Harden (the flagrant) was theatrics.

Griffin plays so hard... i just lose respect when he acts so soft on fouls.