1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flopping Might Be Penalized - Ginobili Rule?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sextuple Double, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Sextuple Double

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2742835

Flopping is already illegal in international play. Now, it might become illegal in the NBA, as well.

The NBA is studying how often flopping oocurs and whether officials can tell the difference between flops and actual fouls, Stu Jackson, the NBA's executive vice president for basketball operations, told The Arizona Republic, according to a report on its Web site Thursday.

"They're really difficult to determine in real time. They're meant to fool an official," Jackson said. "Are we going to be wrong more times than not? It's tough, but we're looking at it."

Jackson said the NBA is considering whether to allow its officials to impose technical fouls for flopping, which FIBA, the governing body of international basketball, allows its referees to do. Other sports, such as hockey and soccer, also allow referees to penalize players who flop.

"We have so many more plays than you do in a football or soccer game and in a more intimate environment," he said.

Jackson didn't give a timetable for the league to make a decision.

Make this change instantly please. I'm sick of Ginobili flopping around like a Power Ranger after being hit with a roundhouse.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Shane Battier, Juwan Howard, Chuck Hayes, JL3, V-Span....all floppers on the Rockets.

I would rather keep it as is....

DD

3. jdrock

jdrock Member

Battier and Hayes take legitimate offensive fouls. The rest.. maybe so.

4. dischead

dischead Member

Battier dont flop. See the scars on his head for proof.

5. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I'd call it the Divac rule. A flopping rule is way past due in my opinion.

6. Sextuple Double

Not to sound homerish, but their charges are legit. Robert Horry takes legit charges also. What Ginobili did when Bonzi was driving to the paint was an obvious flop.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Whether it is good or bad for the Rockets, flopping is something to be discouraged in the NBA. Even if I were a Spurs fan, I'd want the league to try to do something.

8. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

It's going to be tough doing this during the game, but I can definitely see some fines/suspensions being done postgame. Each flop is a fine of X amount get called for Y amount of flops and you are suspended.

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Not all of their charges are legit....there is some flopping too.....

DD

10. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

there was talk of this during the summer. i personally think they should penalize floppers because it has become such a wide spread epidemic in the nba. nobody wants to watch flopping and acting on the court but there are no rules against it so some players have adjusted their game to take advantage of the officials. the game is so fast paced and the decision has to be made so quick that flopping has become a useful tool for many players.

before we traded for battier, i always thought of him to be a huger flopper but after watching him this summer and so far this season, i don't think he is at all. he takes charges and is one of the best in the nba at it. chuck is obviously learning from him but i don't believe they are floppers.

ginobili, nowitzki, and reggie evans are floppers in my opinion. they exaggerate any contact and wildly flop around like they've been drop kicked by a sumo wrestler while looking at the referee and wondering when the whistle is going to blow. unfortunately, the call goes their way more often than not.

the problem i see is that to precisely tell if a player was flopping, the refs would have to look at replays in slow motion. similar to how nfl refs have to look at the replay to see if a wide receiver got both feet inbounds. that seems very time consuming to me. unless they look at any controversial plays after each game and assess a fine if they find players flopped during the course of the game and got away with it.

11. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

chuck hayes and battier don't flop

they take the charge

12. goyao11

goyao11 Member

this rule is gonna blow

the only thing worse than seeing an opponent taking a flop is seeing a player on your team get called for a technical when he really gets fouled

13. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

If they would just not blow the whistle it wouldn't really be a problem. Floppers laying on the ground while play continues would be punishment enough.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've often wondered what the Jazz and Spurs practices look like when they're having their flopping drills.

"No, dammit!!! You fling your arms out like this!"

15. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Most flops you see are when a defender can't handle someone one-on-one, so he just falls down. With Battier, he usually rotates to cut off someone from getting to the basket - he rarely takes a charge playing a guy one-on-one. As for Hayes or Howard, if they were floppers, they would've been constantly falling down last night against Duncan, but instead I think they were playing him straight up.

I don't think flops would be hard to call. If there's contact, the defender falls down, and it's not whistled an offensive foul, then it almost has to be a flop, unless the defender just tripped. I'm sure that only the most obvious flops will be called, so players will still be able to get away with some stuff. But still, it would be great for someone like Manu to have the possibility of a technical in the back of his mind before he tries his BS.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I don't want the referees to have ANY more control over the game then they do now.

They are already incompetent enough.

DD

17. Sextuple Double

Not every single charge is a legit charge I'll agree, but the ones they put an extra kick in the fall usually gets called as a blocking foul. Vspan straight up flops, it's the European way.

18. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

are you kidding me? battier takes fouls like a man. no one one the rockets flops. v-span doesn't even play so there's no way he can flop.

if they penalize flopping, devin harris and manu ginobili are going to be in trouble.

19. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

no one on* the rockets flops.

20. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

Most of the flopping are done by European players. If you ever watch the world cup you will know what I mean.