1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flopping fines: a one year only thing?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Yellow, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Yellow

Yellow Member

So far, I've seen plenty of them (Clippers game alone had about 5 of them, most by Chris Paul) - including our own star in Harden. Did they just try it out last year and act like they wanted to get rid of it or is it still part of the rules but just not forced? Either way, it's a facade, because I never believed they really wanted to get rid of flopping. Last night's game was a great example, because nobody can tell me that the referees did not see that Chris Paul was just flopping all over the place. It has nothing to do with speed of the game, or bad angle, almost everything he did was on the side where at least one ref had a clear view.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Chill dude. They are still fining flops. Maybe fans just aren't talking about it.

There's been five flopping warnings in the first week -- including one on a star player, Kevin Love. And Wall as well.

http://www.nba.com/official/

Refs don't call flopping fines. The league does. Last year it would take a day or two to assess the fine after the fact. So even if there is one from last night, it wouldn't be announced yet.

3. Lihao

Lihao Member

Damn i hate these flopper ,they should call a technical for flopping , they added the stupid delay of play foul but do nothing to the flopping , smdh

4. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

They took a step in the right direction with fining guys. Here is the financial penalty:

The NBA regulated flopping starting in the 2012–13 season. Any player who flops during the regular-season game would first be warned, followed by fines in increments of $5,000 for each successive flop during the season. The fines would increase to $30,000 for a fifth offense, when a suspension would also be considered.[2] In the playoffs, players are fined $5,000 for their first flopping offense, $10,000 for a second, $15,000 for a third, and $30,000 for a fourth. Any player who flops five or more times could be suspended.

I feel like they should focus more on suspensions than fines. Some of the worst offenders are the ones that make huge money. If they changed it to 2 or 3 flops = suspension, I think you would see it cut down dramatically. They could also just make it a flat fine for 15-25% of their game check.

5. Lihao

Lihao Member

they just trying to show that they working on the flopping thing because of pubic outrage , they knew a few thousands fines it's just peanut to those millionaire players hence no one will really worry about it .
    You get a tech for touching the ball after a made field goal but you can flop as much as you like during game time , doesn't make sense at all

6. The Blake Show

So then Parsons is going to get 2 warnings for flops on screens last night and Harden will be fined 10 times this year? Rockets fans resorting to this is a joke.

7. The Blake Show

It clearly matters because flopping was down a TON last year for everybody.

8. Lihao

Lihao Member

who said so ? any stats to back it up ? at least it didn't bother your point guard at all

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Says the poster named after the biggest wuss in the game.

10. Lihao

Lihao Member

to be honest ,with this kinda rule, if i'm the rich owner of these basketball team , i'll ask my players to flop as much as they can during play off, and i'm gonna pay the fines for them as long as it give my team an advantage

11. heypartner

Why are you assuming flops are always successful at creating an advantage? 3 of the 5 flopping fines so far this year were on "no calls". They are only calling blatant ones -- much like how they call technical fouls and fine/give suspensions for those, to.

The Player's association is most to blame for fighting the flopping fines. There isn't much chance at increasing the punishment beyond what they levy for Technical Fouls throughout the year. (Note: I'm not talking about fines/suspensions for fighting, but rather minor technicals like arguing with a ref. Or taunting after a slam dunk.

12. Lihao

Lihao Member

it doesn't hurt for trying during game time isn't it? even if you only get 1 call out of 10 flops , it'll be an advantage .

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Flopping warnings issued are listed here everyday. They provide the video too.

14. heypartner

No calls provide no advantage, especially if you flop to the ground.

I assume you're just trying to make a point. You don't actually believe this will work, do you?

Obviously, if one team starts flopping like crazy, it's not going to work. The league will notice and do something. Especially if the league finds out the owner is giving the players money under the table.

15. Lihao

Lihao Member

of course i'm not saying that it'll definitely work , i'm just questioning how determine they are to get rid of flopping. You get a tech for touching the ball after made FG , but only one fine per game for flopping.
    if delay of game deserve a tech , flopping definitely deserve it.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think so. I think they really do want to stop it. It hurts the appeal of the game. But, they're in a quandry about how they can fix it. Calling techs in game is problematic because they'll obviously miss some and then be accused of fixing the games. Suspensions might be a deterrent, but it hurts the product when healthy players don't play.

I think they might ultimately go that way, but it pays to take it slow. They have several seasons of unpunished flopping to analyze. They'll now soon have 2 seasons with a mild punishment. They can do some statistical analysis on how much they've affected the practice. Then they can amp up punishments and see how much more impact they have as a result. If they had gone straight to a suspension route they wouldn't know if they over-corrected.

To do so would be circumvention of salary cap rules, which is something heavily punished by the league. An owner would be a fool to pay a player's fine.

17. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

flopping rule sucks because as of now it is basically 1 flop a game that they can be dinged for. So basically you can flop a 100 times in one game it will only be charged as 1.

18. Lihao

Lihao Member

i do agree it's hard to manage techs call for flopping in game time, it's just annoy me seeing them punish delay of game which i consider as lesser offend instead of flopping.
    i hope you're right about the suspension route ,i'm just hoping for a fair basketball game without these nonsense acting from the players.

19. ts2mars

ts2mars Member

has chris paul ever been fined???

20. The Blake Show

I don't need stats, anybody who watched basketball last year saw that flopping was way down across the board.