1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flood TNT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKET RY, Apr 30, 2009.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

If you would rather watch the end of any other game, and I mean ANY game, over the start of a Rocket playoff game, then your definition of "huge fan" is a bit different than mine. I would not be calling myself a huge fan if I were you.

And yes, TV does 'work that way' for the other major sports. The NFL gives you the option. MLB gives you the option. In fact if the game had been on ESPN I bet they would have shown the start of the Rocket game on ESPN Classic or something until the other game ended. I recall this happening last year.

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

TheFreak. I'm a big fan. I'm not rich and I don't live in Houston, but I've ordered League Pass every year and buy Tivo just to record and rewatch Rockets games.

Of course I wanted to watch the full game last night.

That said, I don't expect my selfish love of the Rockets to be Turner's #1 concern. I don't see how it makes sense from their point of view. All of sudden, what channel do you expect them to not show regular programming?

Options are:
    TBS (really funny) - they're mostly comedies and movies
    CNN - really, cut into CNN?
    TCM - classic movies
    Cartoon Network - this makes no sense either
    TruTV - reality tv reruns

TNT IS NOT ESPN. That needs to be remembered. ESPN has 4 SPORTS NETWORKS.

NFL playoff games on major networks might all get shown entirely, though I'm not sure about this off the top of my head. BUT...we all KNOW this: NFL games get CUT OFF ALL THE TIME because of rights issues. You can be watching a great game and then you can't see the end of it and then you end up watching the analysts in studio watching the game on the tvs behind the camera and tell you what's going on.

So stop with that lie that this BS doesn't happen in other sports. It's okay to vent. It's okay to be mad. I was mad-texting my HTown friends last night about them being able to see the game and not me. But DO NOT LIE. And please understand the issue that TNT just doesn't have the flexibility to do what ESPN does and while IT IS POSSIBLE, don't expect it because it doesn't make complete sense the same way it does on ESPN.

Ugh....at least this issue should be over with. Rockets-Lakers games are high draws and I believe that they'd even delay the start of it a little if necessary. And what's the likelihood of another EC playoff game going triple overtime?

3. TheFreak

I don't blame TNT, I blame the NBA. What am I lying about? When does a playoff game in the NFL not get shown in its entirety? This has happened before?

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

My apologies.

My point was that regular season NFL games get cut off all the time. In the playoffs, I can't recall a situation off the top of my head where a game start has been missed. But if CBS is showing a Noon game and a 3:30pm game, and the Noon playoff game goes into triple overtime, you're telling me CBS really has a plan to show the beginning of the 3:30pm game? What channel would it be on? VH1. Rock of Love viewers would be writing in like crazy. :D

Look, I'm not happy about it, and I sure hope it doesn't happen again. I know ESPN has contingency plans, and so does FOX...but there is no NBA on FOX. So again, I just hope TNT won't let this happen again because I know TNT loves the audience that a Lakers-Rockets series will pull in.

5. TheFreak

I believe the playoff games are always on different channels in the NFL. So the overlap would never be an issue. Like the noon game would be on CBS, and the 3pm would be on FOX. The regular season may be a problem but not if you have Sunday Ticket. You still have the option of never missing a down; you can go to a sports bar if you don't want to buy the Ticket. The NBA has given us no such opportunity here. It's so annoying because the NBA should have seen this coming with the way that series is going. Come to think of it, even the games that don't go into overtime and end relatively quickly still seem to cut into the start of the next game on a regular basis.

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Hey guys, I was wondering... its My20 done with their games now for this season, or will they continue in the 2nd round?

7. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

No they are not. I just called them.

Looks like everyone is going to miss most of the 1st quarters of some of these playoff games coming up.

#87 JBIIRockets, May 1, 2009
    Last edited: May 1, 2009
  8. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

i emailed tnt i hope you all do the same
    they can interrupt the tbs broadcast,
    they have exclusive rights and they need to cater to their customers
    if not they need to give up the rights
    or allow a home team broadcast

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

No as in they will continue? And if it is continue, is it all through the post season including a potential finals? Just asking you since you did call them (pff I wouldn't even know where to look for their number). Thanks!

10. JBIIRockets

They do. It's TBS. Heck back in the 90s, TBS also showed playoff games.

11. JBIIRockets

I meant to say my20 is NOT showing any games in Round 2. We are all at TNT's mercy.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I have no problem with tnt leaving that boston/chicago game on, you think most of the nation would rather watch the beginning of our game then that thriller? absolutely not. i know it sucks if you weren't here but for most of the country what they did makes sense.
    on the other hand, If turner was allowed to start the rockets on tbs and didn't then rocket's fans have a right to be upset, but do we know that was an option?

secondly if anyone would rather watch any part of that boston/chicago game over any part of the rockets, i think calling that person a hardcore/true fan would be an inappropriate label.

13. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Anyone get any emails back?

14. Hmm

Hmm Member

indeed.. let us find out how truly understanding the majority of ClutchFans will be this time.. when it happens again during this series.. where every game will be pivotal.. and there'll be no my20 safety net for the locals..