1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flips Murray is now a Bobcat...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4501615

Sources: Murray to sign $1.99M deal
    Comment Email Print Share
    By Marc Stein
    ESPN.com
    Archive

Free-agent guard Flip Murray has reached an agreement in principle to join the Charlotte Bobcats, according to NBA front-office sources.

Murray and the Bobcats have a one-year deal at the NBA's bi-annual exception of $1.99 million, with a formal signing forthcoming as early as Friday, sources said.

Murray's agent, Mark Termini, confirmed the deal when reached Thursday night by ESPN.com.

After averaging 12.2 points last season as an off-the-bench spark for the Atlanta Hawks, Murray also received interest earlier this month from the Denver Nuggets. But luxury-tax concerns prompted the Nuggets, who on Wednesday traded for Houston's James White, to limit their offer to the $1.1 million veteran minimum.

Murray has been regarded as one of the NBA's better sixth men after breaking out in the 2003-04 season as a fill-in for the injured Ray Allen in Seattle, averaging 23.9 points over an 11-game stretch.

The signing of Murray further cements Charlotte's backcourt after Wednesday's signing of restricted free agent Raymond Felton to a one-year, $5.5 million qualifying offer and potentially gives the Bobcats' second unit some needed punch after they finished last in the league in scoring last season.

Felton will become an unrestricted free agent in July after he and the Bobcats could not strike a long-term deal. He averaged 14.2 points and 6.7 assists last season, retaining his spot in the starting lineup even after Charlotte drafted D.J. Augustin.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

2. Trip

Trip Member

I've always wondered why Flip Murray never latches on to a team full-time. The guy's a proven scorer in this league, but he seems to be a late-season addition every season.

3. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

He doesn't latch on because he's a bad, bad, bad basketball player. A couple hot scoring games a year is enough to get some team to bite on him, but once they see that he's inefficient and completely lacks a basketball IQ about 75% of the time they throw him on the scrap heap.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Well said.

5. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Hmm. Denver must be a little disappointed. Believe they were holding some money out for Flip, and as a result, lost out on McCants.

The Bobcats do need scoring punch, though, and if Flip can do anything, he can score. I am shocked McCants didn't end up a Bobcat though. He had been training up there for awhile.

6. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I don't think the Nugget's were interested in McCants at all. At least they didn't have substantial interest big enough to even offer a training-camp invite. Surely McCants would hav gone to Denver if he was offered an opportunity there as they need a SG much more than we do.

Now Denvers gonna sign Wally Szczerbiak and sign him to vet min.

7. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

I like a FLIPS Murray, he's niiiiiice.

[​IMG]

8. as_sstomper

as_sstomper Member

Oh, man. I just about spit my drink out when I saw this!! Good one!