1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flip Saunders: Yao gets tired in the 4th qtr.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tiger0330, Nov 19, 2006.

1. tsunami

tsunami Member

I never see Shaq, Duncan, even at their primes, tried a lot to chase the quicker/faster guards on perimeter.

2. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Even when Tmac gets the ball, watch what Yao is doing. He is wrestling down low, often trying left and then right and then middel, and if he cannot get a pass, he comes out to set up picks. On every pocession, he works like hell. Just which other C does that? Look at how Shaq chills out when Wade and Kobe runs iso. And look at how Yao runs left and right to post on every pocession.

TD doesn't, and has never, play as hard on offense. Of course he can be fresher on defense. And he does NOT come out as often as Yao. And he is not 310lb and 7-6.

Stop looking at one or two things, look at the whole picture. Tell me ONE player who burns more calories than Yao in a game.

3. terse

terse Member

Yao chases the guards even if there is no pick and roll. He does this on practically every defensive turn. No another big man in the NBA is forced to do this, for a very good reason: because it wears them out. And worse than mere exhaustion is the stress that so much quick lateral movement places on the feet of a 300-pound man; this is a recipe for foot injuries.

I am sure JVG knows all this. That he does it anyway tells me a lot about his true personality.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

closing out in the 4th quarter is a mental thing. some people can handle the pressure, others can't. it's what determines the great from the good.

5. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

You mind alone cannot do **** when your legs already gave up. If mind alone can carry you over physical limit, then everybody is capable of running a marathon, but that is not the case.

6. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

You are absolutely right!

As for 3rd scoring option, it is not about getting more players, but it is about JVG creating gameplans that allow others to score, and mixing it up. When Yao is fresh, give it to Yao. When Yao is not double team, give it to Yao. When Yao is double teamed, give it to others. If others can't shoot from outside, get a gameplan to give them penetration opportunities. If you see Phoenix Suns, they don't always use the same scheme. The players move around a LOT, and shooting opportunities come from inside, outside, middle, pretty much everywhere. JVG's scheme is simply too predictable, as Phil and other coaches had said at different occasions.
    :mad: :mad:

7. Astockmarketgod

So, what do all the other teams do when the opposing team involves their C in the pick and roll?

the guard... being picked fights hard... to come over or under the pick....

instead ours give up or don't try...

or maybe its the game plan to allow our center... go up against a guard 1 foot shorter and 2 times faster...

flawed thinking in that...is if our guards can't keep up with the opposing guard... then how can we expect our bigs too...

8. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

A poster mentioned earlier to have Yao take more jump shots early to conserve his strength. That's a good idea except that I've heard that refs handle big men sort of the same way that plate umps handle pitchers. So a pitcher a that can show control on the corners early in the game expand the strike zone while in basketball a big man who plays tough inside early is more likely to get the benefit of the doubt on calls later in the game.

It seems to me that two things are really taxing Yao. One is coming out to chase guards on the perimeter in the pick and roll and the second is coming out to set picks. Why not hold off on having Yao defend or set picks until the second half so he can conserve his strength early yet still contribute on those plays later on when it counts? How big of a difference to the Rockets is it to not have Yao running around away from the basket in the first quarter?

9. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

Amen, brotha. Somebody please slap JVG for me..Stubborn sob.

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I'm not sure I buy that Yao can't be dominant the whole game, but even if he's just smoking teams for three quarters, then he's doing his job IMO. Shaq pulled in three titles and finals MVP's by being totally dominant for three quarters and letting Kobe take over in the fourth.

If we're going to win a championship then we need other guys to step up in the fourth. Whether it's Tracy taking over, or Bonzi scoring, or Rafer or Head hitting clutch threes. I think it's a bit too much to pin everything on Yao, especially when the two dominant big men of the past decade (Shaq and Duncan) are notorius for poor play down the stretch (mostly at the free throw line, but still that's a big deal).

11. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

Actually so far this year, JVG really not let YAO come out to defend the perimeter, as compare to previous season. YAO stay most time in the paint and not chasing guards. This is one of big difference I 've seen from this season.

12. zhao1109

I agree. TMAC suppose to be the man in the 4th and he needs to dominate the game. But he hasn't found his "one step" back to his game. I can not wait for it: imagine YAo takes control three qtrs and then TMAC makes ugly dunks..

13. terse

terse Member

Yao still comes out a lot on D, way more than I have ever seen any big do. And for a lot more than pick and rolls. This is not the way to use a 300-lb man if you want a long career out of him.

14. zhao1109

He has to, because he is 300 lbs and excellent target for other teams PnR and they all know this is the best way to fatigure YAO and Rockets. I hope Chunk back to court soon and he can cover that on fast rotation

15. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

It's not just turnovers...you're certain they're ready to play D? That this 2nd round rookie and euro have good decision-making skills? (along with barely over 1 assist per game in the WC and a 1-to-2 assist/turnover ratio, Spanoulis took 42 3-point shots and only made 11).

I'd like to see them play, but I'd prefer to wait until JVG determines that they are ready.

16. sidewider26

sidewider26 Member

---------------------------------------------------------------------

exactly.

17. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

Agreed 100%, Yao plays harder on the court.
    I really miss Chuck now!

18. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

you cant help but notice that no one else really scored in double digits besides yao and tracy...i think this is 04-05 again..WE NEED OUR BENCH TO HELP OUT WITHOUT DEPTH THERE WILL BE NO PLAYOFF RUN, k thx.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Wasn't it just last year and the year before that Yao was the best CLUTCH player at the end of games on the Rockets?

Yao has indeed been tired, but I blame it more on his teamates not doing enough to relieve the pressure by the opponents.

The other team's are going to take away your 2 best options in the 4th, and the problem is that those are our ONLY 2 options right now, as the rest of the team has been playing less than spectacular basketball to say the least.

DD

20. dream2franchise

I believe JVG has brushed on it, but we need to see more of it..zone. It keeps both Yao and T-Mac from chasing anybody, keeps Yao close to the glass for rebounds and blocks and keeps him fresh on the offensive end.

To make a man his size run relentlessly every second he is in the game is just ridiculous, we're not dealing with Marcus Camby here...