1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Flight White back on inactive list.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dakeem1, Apr 8, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Please lock if this has already been posted.

I noticed that with Landry back, James White is inactive again.

What do you guys think about this. was this the right move to make?

I know a lot of CF guys were high on White, and Cook hasn't done much for us, so why not de-activate Cook instead and give Flight a chance?

While I'd love to see an amazing dunk by White, it makes sense to de-activate him because we essentially have a similar player in Wafer, who is playing great for us. One could argue that there isn't another player that cab bring what Cook can to this team.

It's a tough one to answer because white has much more potential than Cook, who has been around the league and has proven what he can do (and I doubt he's gonna get much better than he already is).

Who go you think was the right player to de-activate when Landry returned?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

With Landry unable to play significant minutes yet, Cook is the better bench option.

James White is the least proven commodity on the team right now, despite the fact some fanboys want to see him dunk.

3. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

I would also have chosen Cook but its irrelevant since neither of them play anyway

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I'd rather suit up Sikma for playing time over Cook.

5. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

LOL nice one.

Anyway, the point is, does it matter if Cook is activated or not? Yes, landry will play limited minutes, however I think the remaining minutes will go to Hayes rather than cook anyway.

As you would have noticed, I'm sitting on the fence with this one. I am a White fanboy, however now is not the time to gamble on someone wo has potential with the playoffs so soon.

6. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

Give James White a chance, maybe he can turn out to be the next Von Wafer... :D

7. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

Von Wafer's place in our rotation is mostly a fluke. with T-Mac sucking and Luther chocking, we didn't have another guard to play on our 2. Ron can play SG temporarily but his big weight always brings him problems facing those smaller guards. James White can only play 3 and 4, but we have already got more than enough good players there. so James white is just kind of nest egg for our team, his minutes come from out team's injuries only.

8. FFz

FFz Member

I really like cook's attitude when he's on the bench. You can tell this dude has had lots of practice knowing just how to be the perfect "9th man". He's always talking to the vets and he's the first guy off the bench. It seems like hes always really into the game even though we all know he's not getting a lick of playing time unless we blow someone out.

9. langal

langal Contributing Member

bad move. you should always deactivate Brian Cook. he is just a horrible player and jerk in real life. making the jerk part up.

10. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

I rather see our "1st round pick" James White than that scrub Brian Cook.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Y'all need to get over James white, it's not like he did anything significant and they sure as hell won't sacrifice a game now just to see what he can do.

12. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

Flight will play a bigger role for us in sometime, maybe next year or so but I would rather him in than Cook. Cook is just a bench warmer that's here probably for cap relief. Cook will be making 3mil next year and it's the last year of his contract too. Why activate a guy that will be probably trade next year? He also sucks! :D

13. ringin08

ringin08 Member

Are you sure White plays 3 and 4 instead of 2 and 3? Also, if something were to happen that would cause a need, I could see us needing a 2/3 before another 3/4.

14. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

Maybe that awesome shot that hit the side of the backboard was all RA needed to see.

I swear some people in the BBS would rather see a dunk by White than a 1st round playoff win.

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

The guy sitting in section 317 row 12 seat 15 is a better bench option than Cook.

Cook never got off the bench unless in blowouts even when Landry was out so why would he get more minutes now that landry is back?

I say keep white active since if there is any blowouts in any of the remaining 4 games he will at least get some run in, cook has already been a significant bench player in the past for the lakers and shown that he is terrible, give white that chance.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

But we're likely to need a different look at 3 and 4 than at 2 and 3. We have a wide variety of skills at the swingman position already. White would only be needed incase of a severe injury, maybe injuries. Cook is a different look at the 4 spots, brings something none of the other PFs bring, so he could be needed without any injuries happening, that's why they keep him around.

17. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Lol when he was activated he wasn't getting no burn. Idk why guys actually believe that he is going to get playing time. There was a reason why he wasn't picked up by other teams. The Rockets so happened to give him a chance and see what he is made of. Don't expect to see him getting playing time unless we are blowing a team out or getting blown out. Treat this like the Gerald Green situation. Raw Talent.

18. motionsiknes

motionsiknes Member

Very correct on the Wafer issue. His story is actually pretty remarkable. If it weren't for Tmac's injury, we would probably not even seen the guy play at all (well maybe for a few games).

It's insane to think that Wafer began as a 3rd string player in our team. He played for 3 different teams that sadly didn't really give the chance to prove himself. If you remember the team tryouts last sept-oct, he was the last person to make the cut. Wafer didn't benefit from Tmac's injury only, but considering that Battier was injured as well and Barry was in/out of the lineup, the opportunity to actually play arose. Perfect timing :) And to think most 3rd string players that play real minutes (not garbage minutes in the 4th) don't really deliver expectations, it is truly a sight to behold for a fan. For him to actually not just deliver but exceed our expectations, from bench warmer to being part of the rotation, is amazing. If Wafer does become an allstar in this league (and I'm just saying if he does), it definitely becomes one of those cliched feel good stories you hear how an athlete has so many ups and downs but worked their way to get to the top.

Sorry for being overtly serious, but you can't just help the fact that we have a very special player in our team, despite all his negatives. He is a diamond in the rough more-so than Landry and Scola. Sometimes I hate that tmac got injured but when you think of it, it really became a blessing in disguise.

19. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

Yes, I know I'm a better option than Cook.

20. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

White is Wafer insurance just like Dorsey was Landry insurance.