1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flash Mobs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Timing, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Timing

Timing Member

Kind of funny, I hear Ashcroft is trying to get these people designated as terrorists. We need to have a flash mob at a Rockets game one night. At 7:53pm everyone scream, MOOCHIE SUUUUUUUUCKS!!!!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030808/wr_nm/life_mob_dc_4

E-Mail Brings Together Flash Mob at NY Toy Store
    Fri Aug 8,12:03 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - It's become a case of mob rule in New York.

A growing flash mob craze -- when crowds organized by e-mail turn up in unexpected places -- brought a mob late on Thursday to the flagship Times Square store of Toys "R" Us, where a giant dinosaur roars menacingly at customers.

The mob of some 300 people gazed at the dinosaur, as if transfixed, then fell to the floor screaming and waving their hands in the air. As store staff hurried to call security, the mob dispersed as quickly as it gathered.

The flash mob was the sixth in New York and the latest in a string that has popped up around the globe. Organized by e-mail, recipients are invited to arrive at a certain place, at a certain time, and receive instructions for a particular mobbing event.

On Thursday evening in London, Britain's first flash mob -- a crowd of more than 200 people -- marched to a furniture store selling sofas with instructions to make mobile phone calls in which they praised the merchandise.

The New York-based Mob Project started in June with a man named Bill who sent an e-mail to some friends. Since then, it has spread across the nation and to many cities in Europe.

Europe's first flash mob hit Rome last month when a group gathered at a bookshop and peppered staff with queries about nonexistent books.

At Toys "R" Us in New York, Maria Peters, a tourist from Texas, said: "They just picked me up off the street and gave me directions.

"It was just like a big mind game," she said.

Other New York sites that have been mobbed are Central Park, where the crowd tweeted like birds and crowed like roosters, and a Hyatt Hotel, where the mob burst into applause.

Organizers like to remain anonymous but say the fun of the flash mob is its absurdist, inexplicable nature. However the flash mob could just be a flash in the pan, they say.

A man who seemed suspiciously like an organizer and gave an obviously false name said after the Toys "R" Us event: "Unfortunately all the media coverage, it's going to just destroy the cachet sooner or later.

"You can imagine that the next one or two ... people are not going think its cool, it's not really a happening, it's a media event," he said.

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

That sounds like a lot of fun. I especially like it when we start trends that europeans follow.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I read about this last week and I am into it!!! Let's start a flash mob!!!

4. Oski2005

We should go protest a kids movie, that seems pretty absurd and hilarious to me. We'll just show up at a theatre showing Spy Kids 3D, come up with some reason to protest, then take off after like 15 minutes.

5. underoverup

underoverup Member

Done the right way a flash mob would be hilarious--
    Everyone meet at the waterwall and begin praying like its Mecca for 2 minutes then scram. Be there at 5 sharp and don't let Ashcroft catch ya or your going to Cuba. :rolleyes: :)

6. Oski2005

I don't think that would be funny, it'd be like mocking Muslims and Islam or something.

It should be more like a hippie freakout without any serious issues and for the purpose of making us laugh only.

7. RocketMan Tex

Here is my idea for a flash mob:

1. Get a group of 75 people together.

2. Attend a speech given by Orlando Sanchez.

3. Two minutes after the speech begins, all 75 people break out in hysterical uncontrollable laughter that lasts 90-120 seconds. When the time is up, everyone goes silent at the same time.

4. All 75 people get up and leave the room.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I heard that is how Dean gets all his crowds together.

9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

How 'bout several hundred people showing up at a high profile trial or something (where there are cameras), and at a designated time, everyone rips off their shirt to reveal a black T-shirt with big white letters that proclaim:

The new Rocket's Logo SUCKS!

10. RocketMan Tex

11. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

These people should be shot. Get a job and grow up.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Huh. Maybe you're not my internet double after all. I thought it was pretty cool.

Though, when I first saw the term 'flash mob', I thought it was a giant mob of people who all opened their trench coats and flashed people at the same time.

OK, everyone, congregate at the entrance to the zoo tomorrow and at exactly 2:13 pm, we'll flash everyone! :D

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That sounds like a good idea for a flash mob. Let's do it!

14. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

I've been enamored with the flash mob idea since I first read about it a couple months ago. I love anything fun or humorous that jolts people out of their normal stupor for a few minutes. The world could definitely use more light-hearted absurdity.

15. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Sorry to sound like a square but I'm not too big on harassing retailers about non-existent products and the like. Aren't these large crowds a safety hazard as well?

This can lead to bad things. I fear that it's only a matter of time before violence rears it's ugly head at one of these.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You would like The Phil Hendrie Show. :)

17. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Then it would have become something else. The fun would be gone. You know, like sporting events.

I think the world needs much more of this.

18. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

I've listened, but he's a little too mean-spirited for my taste. There seems to be a verry fine line between silly and obnoxious. :)

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Um having a bad day maybe?
    Flash mob paranoia rears its ugly head...
    RUN *FLASH MOB* RUN ahhhhhhhhhh!!! :eek:

20. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

No, it's just that I don't want my day to day affairs affected by a bunch of slackers with nothing better to do. Sure would be fun to get caught in a K-Mart style raid over one of these just for being too close to the action...