1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flag Football Tips

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bob Barker 007, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Bob Barker 007

Last year, I played intramural flag football for the first time, and my team got destroyed. I do not want to lose this year. For those of you that played, what tips do you have for offense and/or defense?

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Get good players.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Don't let the other team get your flag! :eek:

4. yo

yo Contributing Member

In IMs, if your QB isn't a good scrambler, you have no chance.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Gorilla glue flag to the end of your weenus. Game over. Win. Celebrate.

6. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Have a great pass rusher on defense and have a good QB scrambler on offense. Shifty speed guys in flag are also great to have (especially if they're short, so flag pulling is a bit harder).

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

screen plays!!! and lots of them!

8. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

It's all about getting in space. Ain't no one bringing down a fast, shifty player in space in flag football. Utilize screen passes and misdirections. Throw in some trick plays, too. Those are always fun.

9. conquistador#11

get the hot chick, because there is always one that wants to play, and convince her to line up as center. get up there under center and peyton manning away with fake audibles. that's what I do. "bro, we're playing four on four"

1 person likes this.
  10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I played safety in high school and was ok at best. In flag football I was a HOF ball hawk. Got burned a few times down the sideline, but your team can't be mad when you're intercepting EVERYTHING that went to the middle of the field.

So to answer your question, find a modern day version of me from 7-8 years ago.

11. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. It’s all about speed and skill, not so much size. Recruit the people in high school that played the skill positions. There’s no room for offensive linemen size players in flag football.
    2. Your center is a receiver too, use him as one, don’t have him “block.”
    3. Your “blockers” should have great lateral quickness.
    4. Mobile QBs are ideal unless they are the Aaron Rogers of intramurals. They don’t have time to sit the pocket in flag football so QBs that are mobile can buy time for their receivers to run their routs if they can scramble.

It’s been some time since I've played flag football so I can’t remember all the quirks of the game. Plus, I played at UH, rules might be different at different schools.

12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

HOT ROUTE!

13. itony

itony Member

all about spin moves and laterals!

it really is more about speed than size

14. gambingo

gambingo Member

Pick the athletic black guys

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

When I played, we played a team that ran weird once they got the ball. It was about changing the vertical level of the flag once any of our defenders got close enough to pull.

If all of you are fast, there's nothing more distressing than having all your linemen release after the snap and everyone's running go routes.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

I always use the Blue Fifty Two Seven Eleven play... always works against strong blitz.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

don't overlook the mental side

You definitely need at least one guy on the team who is willing to start a fight every game.

18. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Offense is easier to manage , draft guys who have good coverage skills on defense. The teams I played on were explosive on offense , but defense we would give up plays too. We had speed , not great defensive instincts were across the board.

Speed & more speed ( Oregon- esque)

19. platypus

platypus Member

Just have your QB yell omaha

20. Bob Barker 007

Does anyone have recommendations for protecting the QB as he scrambles? One of the main rules for this version of flag football is that blockers are not allowed to use their hands. What are your favorite trick plays?