1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Five questions with Marcus Camby

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Apr 21, 2012.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not much but whatever. Lock if necessary, thanks.

[rquoter]Q: You guys won four straight on the road and haven't won since. What's changed? What's stopped this team from building on that?

A: It's something that we've been questioning ourselves, too. Normally teams play better at home, but we just haven't been able to carry that momentum from the road ... so we definitely need a whole lot of help from a lot of teams right now.

Q: If you can separate the playoff chase from this question, just tell me about the move to Houston. How do you grade it so far?

A: It's been great being back home. Portland was eliminated last night (Tuesday) and they're getting hammered tonight (Wednesday), so being traded here, just being in a situation to actually compete for the playoffs is great. With me being a free agent [in the summer] and the Rockets looking for a big man in the middle, I hope we can get something done in the summer.

I want to stay. I actually built a house from scratch in Houston like five years ago with the intentions of finishing my career down there. So it's crazy how things play out.

From the coaches and from management and my meetings I've had with them, I think they enjoy what I've been doing with my play and my leadership. I know from talking to my representative that there's going to be a lot of suitors at the end of the season, but this is where I want to be. It's something we'll definitely address at the end of the season.

Q: Do you have it in your head how much longer you want to play?

A: I want to play 20 [seasons]. That's the goal. That's the magic number. I'm at 16 now, so we'll see.

Now I'm more able to think the ballgame through and see different spots out there on the court where I can make plays for my teammates. [Smarts] definitely helps balance what you lose physically. It definitely does. Coming in, I don't want to say I was a Vince Carter high flier, but I definitely had more spring than I do now. But I still think I can do all the little intangible things out there.

Q: It sounds like you're still following the Blazers pretty closely, so I've got to ask you now that it's LaMarcus Aldridge facing hip surgery: How much more can these guys take?

A: The franchise has been going through a lot ever since training camp. First, Brandon Roy announced his retirement, then a month later Greg Oden is out again for the year. Then the trades. ... [Aldridge's] situation was kind of sad, because it was the end of the season and they weren't going to make the playoffs. It's something he should be able to bounce back from, but it sucks for him because he was going to play on the USA team this summer.

Q: You know those of us in the media throw around words like "curse." But what about the players on that team? In the Blazers' locker room, are guys asking: What next?

A: They might not want to admit it, but when I was there, my goodness, people were saying, "Are we really snake-bit? Are we really cursed?" Doubts and talks like that came about. Everybody just tried to brush it to one side and remain positive, but it was hard to escape because everybody was talking about it. It's hard to argue when it keeps happening year after year after year.[/rquoter]

2. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

camby is a great guy i hope he can become our "deke" and stay with us till his retirement.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Deke 2.0

4. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

I think he'll be perfect to pair with our incoming draft picks

5. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

No offense intended to Dikembe, as I loved him while he was here, but Camby's been playing better for us than he ever did. The dude's 38 and putting up 9.4 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 24 minutes per game. Not to mention the 7.5 points that no one thought he'd chip in.

6. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

He is averaging 10 points, 12 boards and 2 blocks 9 an 60% FG in april. If you take out the Denver game that he went out after 7 minutes, he is averaging 12 points 12 boards 3 assists in the last 5 games.

7. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

No, there was a stretch few years back that during a stretch deke was averaging almost 15 boards and 3 blocks in a stretch of games where yao was injured and he started.Deke was insane during that stretch.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I was mainly referring to their role on the team, but like someone else mentioned, deke had similar numbers when he played extended minutes here. If he had to start, you could pretty much pencil him in for 10 and 2. The extra scoring is the only real difference, but then again, Deke didn't try to score. He probably could have put up 7-8 points on a couple hooks and put backs.

#8 RV6, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  9. SidDaKid

SidDaKid Member

{RealGM} Camby Prefers To Re-Sign With Houston

Marcus Camby hopes to re-sign with the Rockets this offseason.

"With me being a free agent [in the summer] and the Rockets looking for a big man in the middle, I hope we can get something done in the summer," said Camby.

"I want to stay. I actually built a house from scratch in Houston like five years ago with the intentions of finishing my career down there. So it's crazy how things play out.

"From the coaches and from management and my meetings I've had with them, I think they enjoy what I've been doing with my play and my leadership. I know from talking to my representative that there's going to be a lot of suitors at the end of the season, but this is where I want to be. It's something we'll definitely address at the end of the season."

Camby believes he can play up to four more seasons.

"I want to play 20 [seasons]," said Camby. "That's the goal. That's the magic number. I'm at 16 now, so we'll see.

"Now I'm more able to think the ballgame through and see different spots out there on the court where I can make plays for my teammates. [Smarts] definitely helps balance what you lose physically. It definitely does.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/220620/Camby_Prefers_To_Re_Sign_With_Houston#ixzz1shPpipuX

10. ketchupNmustard

Sounds like a winner to me. I especially like how he knows that he must see the game in new perspectives, due to the change in his strengths and weaknesses. He still having 15+ rebound games, double doubles, so why not try and hit that "magic number"? I see the Rockets signing him this summer...now for someone for him to back up? I don't know.

11. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

12. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

if camby is able to do what he is doing with one hand and a bad back, he is definitely welcome here the next 4 years.

13. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Camby is what I hoped Dalembert would be, which is consistent. I thought the Bear would have more offense and better passing skills but Camby beats the guy in every category: shooting, rebounding, passing, effort and leadership. He's already become my favourite player by diving on the floor, playing with a bad back and knocking down threes with that crazy slingshot! He's won me over and he should retire here.

Dalembert should be let go, I rather they develop Smith or draft a big than seeing that guy play for us again. He did have some good offensive games and game changing plays but the 20% he gives us at times and his ego are something I rather see leave than stay.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That was a great read, hsf09. Thanks. Sure, it was short, but he said a lot, IMO. Biggest thing for us is that he wants to stay. I could care less about keeping Dally since he's so inconsistent, but Camby has been money. He's been a warrior out there, even taped up and hurting. I hope he ends his career with Houston. I'd be happy with that outcome.

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'd like to see us release Dalembert, sign Asik and Camby and let them split minutes.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Of course he "wants" to stay - after all, the guy lives in Pearland. But Camby is 37 years old and that doesn't sound like a guy you can depend on as a key component for your team for the next 2-3 years. To do so is to invite trouble when he inevitably goes down.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sign him to a contract with team options in year 2 and 3.

DD

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's out there working his tail off, at least when the coach puts him in, which is more than one or two other Rockets are doing that are banged up. But putting that aside, ideally he'd be the backup 5, not the starter, and I can't think of a better guy to have as a backup center.

19. Jet036

Jet036 Member

Why isn't anyone asking the most important question? What kind of contract do you think he'd get?

20. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

It's pretty impressive that he's still playing at his age and really dependable physically. I remember when he was on the Knicks he was a bit fragile--considering how hard it is to stay healthy as a big man, I'm really surprised he's still productive given his early issues staying health.

He's definitely got a lot of wisdom--he knows exactly who he is and what his role is. It'd be awesome to get this guy for a discount.