1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Five perfect free-agent fits Andrew Bynum to Phoenix? How about Josh Smith to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 45souf, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I still the most likely target of the players discussed is Andrew Bynum. Morey likes to gamble and really likes Bynum's talent.

2. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Me too. Let's roll with what we have for now until something better comes along.

3. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

After Josh Smith plays for us for about 3 weeks people will love what he brings. He would be the perfect FA for us right now. He can guard PFs,SFs, and is a good help defender. He runs the floor and finishes just as good as anybody. He won't be a primary scorer here so no need to worry about him shooting a lot of ill-advised 3s.

I can't wait!!!

4. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Since we have so many PFs, we should trade w/ Atlanta for Smith rather than signing up right up.

5. SeabrookMiglla

bynum's talents wont be worth much if he is sitting out, and never has an opportunity to gel with the team. after having a yao who had injuries for so many years, i think morey knows what he would be getting himself into with bynum. unlike yao though, bynum seems to be a diva. unless it was for very cheap, i wouldnt take bynum. josh smith, is another story though...

6. jocar

jocar Member

I think "degenerative" knees is a deal breaker, if true. Rather get Smith on a decent contract to help facilitate a trade for Love/LMA in 2014.

7. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I think a backup center who could be a possible future replacement for Asik is at the top of Morey's to do list...

8. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Josh Smith is a ground rule double. We don't need/want that. For our second star we need a home run. It's laughable that some people think his poor shot selection will automatically disappear. And if he doesn't get his touches, you better believe hell whine about it

9. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

I say no to PF position. I think our Rookies will be killing it next year. and i think specially T jones & T. Rob. they gonna be our starter n backup PF. if we want to get some then get someone for SG & SF & C backups so we dont burn out our starters. and get someeon who has all around skills n not just 3-pointer shooter.

10. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

again no to smith

11. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

I agree with this and Marcin Gortat comes to mind. His contract is favorable and expires after next year. If we trade for him, it would not cost us too much I believe for salary purposes (Houston can afford his contract right now). After that we may even be able to still add a Paul Millsap if desired.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I am not sure I would go after Bynum, but remember the Rockets and Morey targeted him this last off season and has asked about his availability in the past.

If we wiff on Howard and Paul, I could see Morey deciding that Smith isn't good enough for the money he will cost, and roll the dice on a big 1-2 year deal on Bynum with the belief that if he doesnt work out the Rockets will get the cap space back with a short contract to Bynum.

I don't buy all the praise Morey is giving to Asik, he wants Howard or the potential of Bynum.

13. basketballholic

Why would we give up an asset for a guy on the last year of his contract at the start of the season? Morey will just keep his options open rather than do that.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Right now Motiejunas and Jones are terrible defensively.

Robinson at times is elite defensively, but he is completely lost half the time on offense.

I think that the Rockets will look to upgrade anywhere but SG, it is going to depend on what is out there. Lin has turned it on nicely, but you better believe the Rockets would deal him if Paul wants to come here (he won't)... same with Asik if Howard decides he wants to come here.

I am rooting for the Lakers to not make the playoffs, because that opens up Howard and Gasol for the Rockets.... Howard doesn't fit on the Lakers, and anyone that has watched the Lakers the last month knows Gasol still has plenty left...

15. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

While I see your point signing Bynum or Smith in my opinion would likely cost more assets and be for a riskier deal longer deal. I've watched J Smoooth play my share and while I feel he'll run with Houston well, he's not as helpful for Houston in the half court offense. His defense will help but we are talking about a next to max contract for that price it better.

Keeping his options open is definitely a good idea for Morey that's what got us Harden. That said I also feel its somewhat of an unpopular one. I would rather give up an asset that we do not need for Gortat than give up more whether through trade or by releasing players for a signing Bynum or Smith.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

1.D12
    2.bynum
    3.j.smith

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Yeah. IMO, Aldride or Love would be ideal. Smith would be an upgrade, but I just don't see him a as cornerstone on a championship team.

That said, I wouldn't complain if Morey snagged him this offseason.

18. basketballholic

We would not be acquiring Smith to be a cornerstone if we did acquire him. Core...yes. Cornerstone...no.

19. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

No to Smith. There's a reason the Hawks didn't resign him.

20. JMG524

JMG524 Member

I'm all for Smith. He's not the ideal candidate but he's the closest we can get. The guy is 27 and is nearing his peak. Not to mention he runs the floor like a guard and can finish around the rim. He won't need to worry as much about shot selection in our uptempo offense where he'll constantly get the ball in transition for wide open dunks and jumpers. In addition he'll be the perfect complement to Asik defensively in the paint.