1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First the National Defense Authorization Act and now SOPA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RedRedemption, Dec 15, 2011.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Papa Kennedy made a deal with the devil for wealth and fame. All tragedies befallen on the Kennedy's is simply Satan collecting his due and proper.

2. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

He didn't talk about ending the Fed. He talked about allowing silver to be minted as currency in competition with Federal Reserve notes, just to clarify. I happen to know quite a bit about the subject.

3. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

JFK's plan to introduce silver as a legal currency was done via executive order just before he was assassinated, and Johnson very quickly revoked that executive order when he came into office.

4. Classic

Classic Member

quick google search:
    http://www.rense.com/general44/exec.htm

Sorry to digress the thread but my comment was more about who really runs things and whether we can really look to our elected officials to bring about change or continue the status quo of the corporate banking & military industrial masters.

5. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Could you mention a link, or some book towards it? ( and not Goldstandard.com or something like that, a serious academic work please.) Like I said, it's not something that would overwhelmingly surprise me because I have an extremely low opinion of JFK, but it's something to inquite about.

6. NMS is the Best

If I am not mistaken, Ron Paul is the only presidential candidate opposed to SOPA and the indefinite detentions in the NDAA....

7. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

What's Anonymous doing about all this?

If this **** goes down, I'll just have to use the Internet less.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I thought he did it by betting on the movie industry and skyscrapers in like, 1920.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I imagine they'll hack the living **** out every company and website that agrees to sell of their services for a monthly fee.

10. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

The link that Classic provided describes the executive order (http://www.rense.com/general44/exec.htm).

This link shows the actual text of executive order 11110 (http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=59049#axzz1gjDu8ykV).

11. Classic

Classic Member

Looks like this gets voted on tomorrow in the house subcommittee. Good luck to the ACLU. Not holding my breathe though given the recent vote on NDAA.

12. Major

Major Member

That article was from December 14th. The bill has been delayed and potentially killed, and has lost some of it's powerful corporate proponents. It's future is uncertain.

1 person likes this.
  13. Classic

Classic Member

Great news! Thanks for the correction.

14. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Well GoDaddy.com has pissed off a LOT of people by their support for this bill -- thousands of domains being transferred off them. Rival companies are offering transfer discounts so now is a good time to do it if you want to.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the first I've heard of this but doing a little research this order doesn't seem like it was JFK's attempt to undermine the Fed but an attempt to actually control the flow of silver from the US Treasury and actually strengthen the Fed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_11110

[rquoter]On November 28, 1961, President Kennedy halted sales of silver by the Treasury Department. Increasing demand of silver as an industrial metal had led to an increase in the market price of silver above the United States government's fixed price. This led to a decline in the government's excess silver reserves by over 80% during 1961. President Kennedy also called upon Congress to phase out silver certificates in favor of Federal Reserve notes.[1][2]

President Kennedy repeated his calls for Congress to act on several occasions, including his 1963 Economic Report, where he wrote:[3]

I again urge a revision in our silver policy to reflect the status of silver as a metal for which there is an expanding industrial demand. Except for its use in coins, silver serves no useful monetary function.

In 1961, at my direction, sales of silver were suspended by the Secretary of the Treasury. As further steps, I recommend repeal of those Acts that oblige the Treasury to support the price of silver; and repeal of the special 50-percent tax on transfers of interest in silver and authorization for the Federal Reserve System to issue notes in denominations of $1, so as to make possible the gradual withdrawal of silver certificates from circulation and the use of the silver thus released for coinage purposes. I urge the Congress to take prompt action on these recommended changes.

[edit] Public Law 88-36The House of Representatives took up the President's request early in 1963,[4] and passed HR 5389 on April 10, 1963, by a vote of 251 to 122.[5][6] The Senate passed the bill on May 23, by a vote of 68 to 10.[7][8]

President Kennedy signed the bill into law on June 4, 1963 and also signed an executive order (11110) authorizing the Treasury Secretary to continue printing silver certificates during the transition period.[9][10] The act, which became Public Law 88-36 (77 Stat. 54), repealed the Silver Purchase Act of 1934 and related laws, repealed a tax on silver transfers, and authorized the Federal Reserve to issue one- and two-dollar bills, in addition to the notes they were already issuing.[11] The Silver Purchase Act had authorized and required the Secretary Treasury to buy silver and issue silver certificates. With its repeal, the President needed to delegate to the Treasury Secretary the President's own authority under the Agricultural Adjustment Act.[12]
    [/rquoter]

Regarding the question of that JFK was killed over this consider the following.

[rquoter]According to author Jim Mars, Executive Order 11110 issued by President Kennedy on June 4, 1963 authorized the issuance of $4,292,893,815 in United States Notes. Mars further asserts that after President Kennedy's assassination, the order was never carried out.

The claim is not borne out by the facts. First, E.O. 11110 had nothing to do with United States Notes, and did not affect any section of law referring to them. Second, E.O. 11110 did not anywhere mention any quantity of money; wherever the $4 billion-plus figure came from, it was not E.O. 11110. Third, The President had no authority to issue such an edict. Even utilizing the provisions of the Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1933, the most the President could issue without statutory authorization was $3 billion.

The reason for the move was that the President had just signed legislation repealing the Silver Purchase Act. With this repeal, the Treasury Secretary could no longer control the issue of Silver Certificates on his own authority. However, the issuance of certificates could be controlled under the President's authority. Hence, for administrative convenience, President Kennedy issued Executive Order 11110.

Ironically, the purpose of the order and the legislation was to decrease the circulation of Silver Certificates, with Federal Reserve Notes taking their place.

To conserve on the silver needs of the Treasury, President Kennedy requested legislation needed to bring the issuance of Silver Certificates to an end and to authorize the Fed to issue small denomination notes (which it could not at that time). The Fed began issuing small denomination notes almost immediately after the legislation was passed. And in October 1964, the Treasury ceased issuing Silver Certificates altogether. If anything, E.O. 11110 enhanced Federal Reserve power and did not in any way reduce it.
    [/rquoter]

Having just heard of this I willing to say that there might be more to it but I think given what is reported here I am not convinced that JFK was trying to undermine the Fed or that the Fed had reason to kill JFK over this. Further this executive order wasn't repealed by LBJ and was only repealed by Ronald Reagan.

1 person likes this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Back on topic very against SOPA and hope that bill dies a thousand deaths.

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Amazon, Google, and Facebook contemplating the "nuclear option".

That would be epic.

EDIT: Of course an even better solution would be to replace DNS. BOOM!

#37 rhadamanthus, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  18. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

That is awesome.

19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

from Hope and Change to SOPA 'n Blame.

it's been quite a 3 year ride.

20. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Been writing every-time this POS bill is proposed and will continue to do so.