1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First round QB: Not the Belichick way

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bobbythegreat, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Member

I think after working with BB and Brady and seeing what having a great QB can do its more likely he picks a QB in the 1st round.

2. Major

Major Member

All of BB's acolytes have also sucked as head coaches. I'm assuming the hope here is that BOB is not anything like the others. If he is, we might as well fire him now.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well he very well might be the first BB acolyte to decide to draft a QB with his first pick, but I think there is plenty reason to doubt that he will. The fact that BB and all of his acolytes have never done so shows sort of how they think about using a high draft pick on a QB. I think it's more likely that O'Brien, supposedly being a QB whisperer, will see a QB who will drop to a later round who he thinks that he can turn into his guy and decide to either trade back for more picks, or pick another player with his first selection. You get a hell of a lot more utility out of the draft if you can pull that off.

Of course, maybe he won't think that way, maybe he'll break from what everyone else under the same coaching philosophy has done, but since he's brought in Crennel as DC and other Patriots guys to coach with him, I think it's unlikely that he'll want to do things radically differently.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Mangini already mentioned.

Al Groh - LB coach in Cleveland
    Nick Saban - DC in Cleveland
    Jim Schwartz - Personnel Scout in Cleveland

Saban might be the only one you could call a protege though.

5. likestohypeguy

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GVUTiuPuxMc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't really count Groh as a Belichick acolyte because he's really more under the Parcells tree than he is a BB guy.

Also, I don't really count Schwartz because he never had a legit role with Belichick, he was just a scout for a very short time.

IMO the BB acolytes are Saban, Mangini, McDaniels, Crennel, and now O'Brien.

7. Major

Major Member

So I was stupid enough to give you credit and assume that your basic facts were right and just the interpretation was stupid. As it turns out, your facts are completely off too.

BB has had 4 members of his coaching tree become head coaches for any reasonable length of time (2 others lasted less than 2 years). I believe 3 of them took a QB in the first round - one with a 1st overall pick.

Jim Schwartz (though he was just a scout): Matthew Stafford
    Romeo Crennel: Brady Quinn
    Josh McDaniel: Tim Tebow

(Mangini - none)

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Damn.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The only one I missed was Quinn, and that's because it wasn't the first selection they made in the first round. Schwartz doesn't really count because he was just a scout under Belichick for a very short time, and I mentioned that Josh McDaniel traded back up into the first round for Tebow after picking Demaryius Thomas with their first selection.

The point still stands that none of them have ever made a QB their first selection, though it seems two of them have traded back into the late first round to pick up QB's

10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Bobby: read the thread title and tell me your point still stands. Jesus.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As to what "tree" I'd put Schwartz under, he was probably influenced a lot more coaching under Jeff Fisher in legitimate roles on the team than he was by being a scout for Belichick for 3 years.

12. Major

Major Member

So now you're down to arguing about first picks only? How many #1 overall picks did these guys combine to have?

13. Major

Major Member

Have any of BB's acolytes ever picked a defensive end who's name started with C with the #1 overall pick? I think we can safely say Clowney is out now based on extensive history.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, the title should be changed to "First pick QB" rather than "first round QB", either way the idea is that O'Brien isn't going to use his first pick on a QB which was the point all along.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Good job there Bob-O

16. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes!!!!!!!!!

Without brady, BB would be just another run of the mill nfl coach...

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting argument.

[​IMG]

18. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

That's not quite true. The Patriots' early success resulting 3 SB wins was with an elite defense and Brady as a game manager.

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Matt Cassel was amazing in New England, terrible in KC.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly, and that goes into what I was trying to say, it's a philosophy of BB that he can take later round QB's and "make them good" by teaching them his system, the better they get at running his system, the better they'll be as a QB. I think that's why none of them ever drafted a QB with their first pick and I think a "QB whisperer" like O'Brien will think the same way.