1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First round QB: Not the Belichick way

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bobbythegreat, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Please read the post over again.

2. Remii

Remii Member

I thought he had Cutler when he got to Denver but didn't want him.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If by "the second" you mean the second year he was coach there, then sure. Also, while he traded up to get Tebow (which largely cost him his job), he didn't want him enough to take him with his first first round pick

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

My bad, you're right, that was the beginning of the Fox era.

Regardless, this argument is stupid. Everyone that has gone with this method has sucked and gotten fired. So you are saying that we should do the same and hope to somehow luck up on a Brady ourselves?

Since it worked for Belichick, it was stupid for the Colts to draft Luck and for the Panthers to draft Cam Newton in the first round, just plain idiotic. Why draft any QB in the first round when BB has the winning formula and everyone is refusing to use it? :rolleyes:

5. Remii

Remii Member

Bobby, we don't always agree... But I know you're smart enough to expect this type of backlash when many around here want the Texans to draft a quarterback with the 1st pick and anything suggesting otherwise is unacceptable.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I did expect backlash, and honestly, I don't mind it. I just wish it was more intelligent backlash. I think that since O'Brien's coaching mentor has NEVER drafted a QB with his first pick, and none of his mentor's acolytes have EVER drafted a QB with their first pick that it is reasonable to assume that O'Brien, as a BB acolyte, probably wouldn't either. It's really not that hard to understand.

All of the nonsense about Brady and the success of BB acolytes is irrelevant since I was just talking about their mindset in relation to drafting a QB early.

7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I don't know why I'm engaging in this when I'm pretty certain you're just a huge troll, but the point you are missing is that since the league has evolved into a QB league, BB has never NEEDED a QB. Therefore, we don't know the BB way in the Texans' scenario, rendering your list useless.

8. Fullcourt

And who are the O'Brien protégés that went on to be a head coach in the NFL? Crennel, a defensive guy, and McDaniels, who DID take a QB in the first round. Am I missing anyone?

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Okay, let's give this another try.

First, when are you claiming this evolution happened? Was it a "QB league in the mid 90's? If so, I'm pretty sure he was in that situation in Cleveland.

Second, this isn't just about BB, are you saying none of BB's acolytes were ever in a situation to need a QB?

How about we look at it this way

If Coach A teaches group B
    and A never does C
    and group B has never done C
    and Coach D is a member group B
    Then it is reasonable to believe that Coach D will not do C.

10. the shark

the shark Member

not only has he had Brady but when he took over as the coach of the Pats they had Bledsoe as well. Your rationale doesn't make sense here. He's had his qb and thus why waste a pick drafting another qb in the first rd?

11. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Mangini

12. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

By the way, I suggest this become the standard response to OP's topics

[​IMG]

13. Fullcourt

Ah, right. Can anyone recap the QB situations for Cleveland and NYJ when Crennel and Mangini showed up?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Jets had Chad Pennington and Brett Favre under the Mangenius and the Browns had Trent Dilfer and Charlie Frye.

15. Fullcourt

[​IMG]

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Okay so if it's a 2000's thing, you still have all of the Belichick acolytes that never picked a QB with their first pick and only one that ever even picked one in the first round at all. It shows that BB acolytes don't think about the QB as a good use of your first pick in the draft. O'Brien is a BB acolyte, so it would make sense that he wouldn't use his first pick in the draft on a QB.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This is a great thread

said no one, ever

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

It's not about that. It's that to hypothesis Belicheck and O'brien think the same and from that etrapolate he will not be drafting a QB is a little whacco.

It's no different than me hypothesis when O'Brien was at Penn State his first recruiting was quarterbacks and while recruiting he only looked at QB's 6'3" and taller. So because of that BO'B will only be looking at QB's in the first round and it won't be Johnny Manziel.

Actually that makes a lot more sense than what Bobby G wrote and it's still assuptuous and stupid. O'Brien will draft the best player that will help this team the most. From everything I read he believes the QB is the most important player on the field. He wants the QB to be a"A Partner" in his system, a general on the field.

You can argue that there is a defensive player in the draft that will help us more than any QB. But to suggest that he will draft the Belicheck way is an insult to O'Brien. If anything Belicheck has learned from O'Brien more about Offense than the other way around. Just a dumb hypothesis.

19. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Took the words right out of my fingertips.

20. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

HAHAHA!!

Game. Set. Match.