1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First Concert Experience

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I saw the Styx VH-1 Behind The Music special about their Jam booking. Wow, you actually were there. The clips they showed looked as bad and mismatched as you described it. I wasnt a fan and still not a true fan, but the special made me appreciate them MORE.

(you probably already know) Styx "Rockin' the Paradise" was the 10th ever video played on MTV's launch. MY how times have changed.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

3. TheFreak

Damn dude, that's pretty strong.

4. TheFreak

Took my kid to the exact same show, from Austin too. :)

He's a KISS freak too now; we'll be seeing them at the Rodeo also.

1 person likes this.
  5. Fatty FatBastard

I never went to any concerts at Astroworld, but I do remember overhearing a Heart concert there right before I was fired for insubordination.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

My first concert was The Plasmatics in Peoria, Ill. I think I was 15....maybe 14. My older brother was trying to corrupt me.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

My aunt was there. Still has the ticket stub and photos of the stage. First time I saw that, I nearly cried either out of jealousy or nostalgia or both.

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I've been to over 250 shows/concerts in the past 5 years. My first concert was a Dead Prez show though.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Okay, are you being serious? Were you guys really there and remember that? Sometimes it's hard to tell with you. :)

Totally agree.

Another band like that is Journey. First thing most people think of when they hear Journey is that ridiculous Separate Ways video. It's kind of like their Kilroy. But listen to their 70's/early 80's material (pre-Frontiers) and it's like a totally different band.

They were also AMAZING live. I remember seeing them at The Summit with an unknown singer named Bryan Adams opening up for them. Adams was so drunk he could hardly perform. Hard to believe he would later become such a success after seeing that performance.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm not really sure what KC remembers and doesn't. It's probable that I was going a little nuts when seeing the band come out just before they take the stage. But, I'm not really a "nuts" kind of guy. I'm a little more reserved but I do my share of hootin and hollerin at a Rush show. It's probably the one show I am more animated at versus other bands' shows.

We had some strange seats (for me anyway) to that show (I still swear it was the "Presto" tour as I know my Rush shows I've attended). We were almost directly side of the stage on Alex's side in the lower promenade about ten or 15 rows up...so we had the vantage point to see the band come out early (well...Alex anyway).

We were there but KC says "Power Windows" and I say "Presto" tour. I'm 99% sure it was the latter cause I remember "Power Windows" (some dude going absolutely crazy like he was trippin for several songs so something like that sticks with you when you see a fan going above and beyond the other fans).

11. raj87

raj87 Member

Certainly, luck was on my side that evening. My cousin was visiting from the UK, and we decided to take a trip to New Orleans. Neither one of us knew who Queen was at the time, however he was a fan of Mott the Hoople, as they were rather popular across the pond. We were unprepared for a band as dynamic as Queen. Mott the Hoople were soundly booed after Queen's set.

My cousin did not like Queen too much. He said they were Led Zeppelin wannabes. :eek: Oddly enough, I had read a rock critic's account of one of Queen's early show. He opined that Mercury resembled Mick Jagger trying to imitiate Robert Plant. :rolleyes:

12. ima_drummer2k

I'm thinking it was either Power Windows or Hold Your Fire. I was in high school and Presto was released after I graduated. Probably Hold Your Fire because we drove and I wouldn't have been old enough to drive for Power Windows.

Only arena show I've ever had front row tickets to was Sting in 1988. It was awesome but would have been so much better if it was The Police instead. He did do some Police songs acoustically as an encore, but still....not the same.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You're probably right - I was thinking I was already in Austin when they toured for Presto -- Power Windows was the last Rush album I was really into, but that wouldn't really matter for a concert.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

UGK in Dallas...2008 ish. Cash Money opened for them

15. Fatty FatBastard

First Journey song that I liked? Separate Ways.

First Styx song? Kiss is on my list.

And Rush's Presto?

Mwa ha ha.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4wrzKYOMOLM" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

16. ima_drummer2k

[​IMG]

17. Fatty FatBastard

Styx/Hall & Oates. Tomato/Tomato.

Those K-Tel records were always confusing.

[​IMG]

18. Surfguy

Your concert had to be "Power Windows" tour. The opening was the "Three Stooges" theme (not sure about your Bugs Bunny thing unless that was on the video being played or something during the intro).

I know this because "The Spirit of Radio" opened the setlist for this tour. It didn't open the "Hold Your Fire" tour setlist or any other tour in the vicinity.

But, our concert KC refers to was "Presto". We weren't at the same show as you.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I was joking a bit there.

20. Surfguy

well, we did see them in Austin once when Primus opened for them. I think that was "Test for Echo" tour. i guess you were not at that one? i don't recall who exactly was at that one. the person affectionately known as "sperm" was there as he went for Primus. woodchuck and wheat barry were there i'm sure as well.