1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First Concert Experience

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Trick question...which show? There were three. I was at the second one. Some chicks, maybe part of the band entourage, did a striptease on a platform where the mixing was in the back of the floor. I'm not sure if that was done all three shows or not? It wasn't kid safe. Parents must have shat a few bricks after seeing that.

1 person likes this.
  2. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

My parents were both musicians/wannabe performers, so I'm not really sure when I first attended a concert.

My mom went to see Alice Cooper in the 70s when she was 7 months pregnant with me (for some reason, she thinks that explains a lot).

When I was still a little kid, in the early 80s, me and my brother and my mom moved to the metropolis of Nashville ... Michigan (I think the population was around 2000 people). My mom got a job cleaning used appliances for resale at a company called "Sandy's Appliances," owned by a guy named Sandy. We also rented the ground floor of an ancient house owned by Sandy, on the condition that we didn't move the baby grand piano (also owned by Sandy) in the living room (that's the reason my mom took the place - she got to play a baby grand piano every day we lived there). A different lady lived on the second floor - I saw her boobs one day when she opened the upstairs door and she waved to me. That was awesome. Sandy gave us bright yellow paint to paint the grey and cracking exterior of the house, and we painted the first level but we never really finished it (I'm not sure why) - I remember my mom at the very top of a ladder painting a smiley face at the apex of the roof by the attic. The smiley face smiled down at us for the entire time we lived there.

Sandy also owned a concert park called "Sandyland Park." I didn't realize this at the time, but apparently Sandy had something of a history with country music (see here). Sandy gave my mom free tickets to go see the shows. I saw Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis, Juice Newton, Moe and Joe, T.G. Sheppard, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, and Jerry Reed (who only played a few songs - apparently someone close to him had just died. I believe I probably saw the saddest version of "The Bird" he ever performed).

In my early teenage years, and in yet another town, there was this kid who no one liked. I was a real jerk at that age, but I thought I'd be nice to this kid because he seemed decent enough and I wasn't really sure why everyone else was so mean to him. So, he got two concert tickets for his birthday and invited me to go - I realized that, if I said no, he'd have no one to go with. So I went .... to see Bullet Boys, Winger, and Cinderella. At the time, I was into punk rock. This was not something I was looking forward to. During Winger's set, I peed in an empty bottle and threw it at the drummer (hit the kit). Cinderella had that ballad about not knowing what you got until it's gone, and when they played it the singer descended from the ceiling while playing a big white piano suspended by cables.

That was kind of awesome.

The End.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude Astroworld!XLR-8, Texas Cyclone! that one that splashes water everywhere..

Ah back in the day

4. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I saw the Beach Boys at the 'Dome after an Astros game around 1980 or so, but I count Rush's "New World Tour" at the Summit in February of '83 as my first real concert experience. Golden Earring opened.

Regarding shows at Southern Star, I'm amazed to this day that for the price of an Astroworld season pass you could see an entire summer's worth of shows at Southern Star. Unbelievable. Best Cheap Trick show I ever saw was there.

5. cson

cson Contributing Member

The Bamboo Shoot & Thunder River ! (crap I'm old)

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ Bamboo Shoot and Thunder River didn't splash so much.
    Tidal Wave, sir. :eek:

7. tinman

Supporting Member

that's right, it's the tidal wave! i love that thing because it's freaking hot in houston.

i had that astroworld/waterworld pass too. I like the slide "The edge"..

8. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

f i never been to a concert want to go to the coachella one. It looks nice

9. Surfguy

Anyone see AC/DC ("Back in Black" tour) and Yngwee Malmsteen (sp?) opening at AstroWorld? That was quite the show. Some of what i remember is some chick with our group kept screaming really loudly just because she thought it was funny...and i wanted to throw her under a rollercoaster and watch her body parts go flying cause she was being stupid. I also remember Malmsteen ripping on guitar playing parts of "Eruption" with the guitar behind his back. Weirdo. lol. AC/DC was really good, too. I've seen them multiple times back in the day but that was the best one out of all of them.

10. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rare Earth, in Cape Girardeau, early '70s? honestly can't remember.

the first i really remember was CSNY @ the Liberty Bowl, August 25, 1974. band included:

Neil Young
    David Crosby
    Stephen Stills
    Graham Nash
    Joe Lala
    Russ Kunkel
    Tim Drummond

Elvin Bishop Band warmed up, back when they still featured Mickey Thomas (Fooled Around and Fell in Love), and then Jesse Colin Young played a set. Main even started at 8PM, they were 20 minutes into Carry On @ midnight...

#70 basso, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  11. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I'm younger than most of you it seems and I didn't start getting into concerts until recently, but now I go a lot because I love them.

My actual first one was ZZ Top in Beaumont in either 2006 or 2007, I dont remember, they had Cross Canadian Ragweed and Los Lonely Boys opening. Only thing is, it was really really cold. And I had broken my foot and has this protective boot thing on, and I was an idiot and didn't wear a sock under it so my foot was extremely cold. So the whole time I was pretty much miserable. Cross Canadian Ragweed was ok, no complaints. But the Los Lonely Boys were terrible. I would have been ok if they hadn't played so long, but it seemed to last forever. They were just playing random instrumental stuff and it really sucked. I absolutely hated them (I turn the radio any time I hear them now). They completely ruined that concert experience for me, because by the time ZZ Top came on I was so miserable that I didn't care, and we left 2-3 songs in.

My first one that was actually good though was U2 with Muse in October 2009. That one was awesome. Had a fantastic time, both bands were great, and the stage show and effects blew me away. And the one that really got me hooked on concerts forever was Muse with the Silversun Pickups in March 2010. Since that concert, I've been to 5 more concerts and 2 festivals, and I have 3 concerts and 2 festivals lined-up for sure in the future, and 2 more concerts and 2 more festivals that I might go to.

12. Surfguy

I'm also waiting on one of you real oldies to say the following:

The Beatles @ Coliseum in Houston - 08/19/1965

Any takers?

13. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I would kill to have been alive for that.

I really want Paul McCartney to come back to Houston. He hasn't been here in a really long time and thats the closest I'll ever get to the Beatles live. Plus his shows look amazing

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

The first concert I ever went to was one that my father dragged me to (along with the rest of our family) and it was for Rickey Skaggs. My dad was (and still is) a huge bluegrass fan and country fan and back then, Skaggs could do no wrong in his eyes (I don't think he really feels that way now). I actually don't remember much about his performance; I remember the opening act more in The Whites. Anyway, I was around 6 or 7 and I think it was in the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville but I honestly don't remember but it was like '79 or '80.

Fastforward to the spring of my junior year in high school, me and 2 buddies went to Murfreesboro, TN (specifically MTSU) to see "The Triple Threat Tour" which was Bell Biv DeVoe, Johnny Gill, and Keith Sweat. Although I mainly went for BBD and JG, it was Keith Sweat that stole the show. He was unbelievable. That was in 1990; it would be close to 14 years before I saw another concert - The Cure at the Curiosa Festival at Starwood in Nashville; also saw Mogwai, The Rapture, and Interpol (the first of 2 times I have seen them live).

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I was only six, but there was an older teen down the street from us who did go. It was big news in the 'hood.

16. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

[Flashback sequence from 6 years ago] http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=84156&highlight=velcros [/Flashback sequence from 6 years ago] :cool:

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My Dad likes to brag that he once saw Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin in a double bill at Jones Hall.

Yes, that Jones Hall. Can you imagine?

18. Surfguy

LOL. I hate having the same conversation, too. I guess that was six years ago...so whatever. My bro has a habit of repeating the same damn things every time I see him because he forgets...and I want to strangle him. Who wants to have a conversation with someone who can't remember previous conversations that occured a few days ago and repeats those same conversations? It's called "you talk so much you don't even care if you told me yesterday...but I care because I don't want to hear it again". Six years ago, though, and in writing...is okay. :p

#78 Surfguy, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

some group named Pearl Jam opened for u2 at the summit for the zoo tv tour.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No way I totally remember -- that was freaking awesome -- he definitely wasn't laughing at you. Surfguy was going absolutely nuts -- to see a band before the lights came down was a BIG deal in the 80's.