1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First Concert Experience

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Jan 21, 2011.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Grateful Dead at the Summit in probably '79. I was around 12 and bored to tears.

The second concert was pretty memorable though. The Rolling Stones at the Astrodome, with ZZ Top and the Fabulous Thunderbirds opening. That rocked.

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This is all great stuff guys. If anyone feels so inclined, drop a comment on the Press story as well. :)

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Power Windows tour -- January 15, 1986 The Summit.

4. raj87

raj87 Member

Mott the Hoople, with Queen as the opening act, in New Orleans back in the 1970's. As expected, Queen stole the show.

5. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Pink Floyd '94- I was 16 without a license and my girlfriends Dad dropped us off outside Rice Stadium while it poured the entire night.

one of the best concert experiences of my life.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Nope. That can't be right. There were two shows played at The Summit that tour. I was at the second show with a different crowd.

Do you remember oversize bunny rabbits on each side of the stage? It was the Presto bunny tour. I swear it was.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I remember Shaw talking specifically about the Texas Jam on Styx Behind the Music. He was saying he was totally embarrassed to follow all those great bands with that ridiculous rock-opera of the Mr. Roboto era. He was so ashamed that he had to get so drunk and high that he could barely function just to get through the set. LOL. I've played a few gigs like that, come to think of it.....

I think I was at that show. We were in the lower section on the side of the stage and we saw them come out before they brought the lights down. Our whole section starting yelling at them and Alex laughed and waived at us. Pretty sure he was making fun of us. Then the lights went down and the opening to Bugs Bunny starting playing, then BAM.....opening riff to Spirit of Radio. Damn, what a way to start a show!

8. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Saw Def Leppard in 1987. My mom hesitated a long time before letting me and my sister go to a concert for fear we might get killed, take drugs, or raped in various orders (I was 13, my sister was 12). We wound up getting tickets the day of the show, and they apparently released some sweet seats at the last minute. We wound up getting lower prom at the Summit right in the middle about 12 rows up. Since the stage was "in the round" we were damn close to the stage.

Tesla opened up and rocked the place down, and Def Leppard put on their typical awesome show. That was one of the best concerts I've been to, and it was a fabulous choice for my first show.

9. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Whitesnake at The Summit. Wasn't even double digits old yet.

10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Mine was Triumph Allied Forces tour in 81. It was the first of many times I'd end up seeing them. I was at all those Houston shows you all were talking about in this thread.

Being a kid of the 70's I've seen KISS more times than I'd like to admit. My kids (and Crazy Dave's) have been exposed to KISS like it is second hand smoke. We opened our mouths one time and said, "next time they tour we'll take you all to see them."

A month later we find out they are touring and kids are admitted free with adult tickets. We took the kids out of school early and made the road trip from Austin to the Woodlands for the kids to attend their first concert.

Here are my 2 kids with some look a like's on the way into the show, Max 8 as Gene, and Maggie 10 as Paul. Dave's 2 kids were dressed as Ace and Peter. Notice the homemade KISS shirts that spelled KISS when they all stood together.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Naw, Im sure you are more up on them than I, had not checked on them in probably 5 years or so. When I checked around and heard that the word at that time was no way, I put it to the back of my mind. I figgered that if they came back around I would hear about it.

SO anyway, I just checked around, and it appears you have the latest that there is. The only information I could find says festivals in Europe, maybe tour in 09, blah blah...so in other words...they were just talking ****.

I do hope they decide to do it at least once, I would love to see one more show. I make a point of taking my girl to shows from bands that influenced me, so she can learn waht makes me tick. Which reminds me, Judas Priest doing one more tour...gotta make sure we go to that one.

12. cson

cson Contributing Member

Kiss Lick it Up tour 1984 at the Coliseum.
    First tour w/o makeup, I was 14.

13. cson

cson Contributing Member

I forgot all about the Texxas Jam!

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Rush - Farewell to Kings tour. 1976-ish. Houston Music Hall. Very few concerts that I saw afterward measured up.

UFO with guitarist Michael Schenker opened. Schenker was an uncontrollable force of nature.

15. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Van Halen - 1984 Tour at the Summit. I was 11 and went with my older brother (13 at the time) and my dad (50 at the time). There was a band opening called The Velcros. I remember my mom having to repeat everything to the three of us for about a week because, collectively, our hearing was completely shot. Instead of a tour shirt or anything, I got the white and red neckflap cap. Wish I still had that thing... I'd wear it to work on Fridays and do David Lee Roth jumping kick splits. :cool:

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

caucasian???? :confused:

caucasian???? :confused:

:p

17. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I'm not a fan of styx, in fact they suck!! But their behind the music is probably the best BTM of all time. It was like watching Spinal Tap but with a "real" band. I laughed until I cried and then laughed again. Did I mention that they suck big time?

First concert - Michael Jackson/Jacksons Victory tour at the Astrodome.

18. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

Depeche mode on the ultra tour, forgot what year..

btw if your neice is a 12 year old metal head chances are she's not a good kid...

19. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Wow..I feel young for once.

I don't remember which was first

REM Green Tour - The Summit (either mid 89 or early 90)
    or
    PIL with Flesh For Lulu - #'s (nov. 89)

20. no_answer

no_answer Member

The same summer I was born, dang you're old Jeff. ;)