1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Firefox?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by sourav004, Mar 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. sourav004

sourav004 Member

I have internet explorer right now and i am thinking of getting firefox but is it really that good?
    If i get it will i have to delete internet explorer or will it work along side internet explorer?
    I know im probably late with the whole firefox thing but better late then never.

2. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

If you hit up the 'Search' button, you will find nothing but gushing (and deserved) praise for all things Mozilla.

3. sourav004

sourav004 Member

but if i get firefox will the internet explorer still be needed or can i delete it. I know the windows operating system uses internet explorer but will firefox sub in for internet explorer or will i need to have both installed.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Keep both installed. BTW, I think it is rather a very hard thing to delete the IE.

5. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

No, Firefox will not replace IE. If it's even possible to remove IE from your system, it isn't easy.

6. droxford

droxford Member

I, too, was using IE exclusively and have been since Netscape started losing the browser wars (way back in the IE 3.x days)

I recently installed Firefox, and can relate to your caution.

However...

Firefox is good stuff. There's a lot of hype about it right now, and I wasn't tremendously ecstatic about a new web browser. It does a few things different (better) than IE. But, that's a good thing. It's good to know that Firefox doesn't suck worse than IE.

With that in mind, there are a few things about Firefox that make it worth your time:

1) First and foremost - It's safe to install. It's a very small install, it doesn't mess with IE in any way. It's lean (isn't bloated with a bunch of useless junk), and is harmless to install. If you don't like it, a simple uninstall cleanly takes it off your system again.

2) Tabbed browsing is great. Instead of having a bazillion browser windows running, I have one. Very nice!

3) Integrated pop-up control. I know IE now has this in the latest version. But firefox has had it for a while and it works very well.

4) Better security. Since Firefox is open-source, the community updates the browser as is needed by new threats, unlike IE where you have to wait for MS to come up with an update.

Those are the 5 big whammy's for me. There are also many other features that make Firefox really cool, but those 5 are the big cahoonas.

Try it out. Download and install it. It won't screw up your current setup and it's a pretty cool app.

-- droxford

7. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

where's the 5th?

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I've been using Firefox for some time now. I have a stupid question:

What is "tabbed browsing" exactly? I'm not even sure if I'm using it correctly.

9. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Different pages can be opened up within your browser, located in tabs at the top of the toolbar.

It's the only Firefox feature that I'm not a fan of. Even with MS' current OS, I still like having 19 browser pages open.

10. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

DO NOT attempt to remove IE from your system. At the least, you need it for Windows Update. You do run that, don't you?

11. KaiSeR SoZe

Also you'll still need IE for some websites, very few sites aren't very compatable w/ Firefox though the majority are

12. KaiSeR SoZe

whaat? I couldn't live without tabs

I middleclick everything

13. sourav004

sourav004 Member

cool thx for the info.
    I guess i will try it out and see how it goes. I havent had any problems with IE personally but i heard there are like many security issues. Ill try out Firefox since it is a cooler name then Internet Explorer and since its getting rave reviews from people.

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Firefox owns.

15. droxford

droxford Member

hrmf... I meant 4.

I have no concept of math.

Ohh.. here's your fifth one: <insert picture of a hand shooting the finger>

-- droxford

16. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Tell me about it. It's hard to remember what life was like pre-Firefox...

17. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I sometimes hate web browsing at school since I'm so used to Firefox. Like you guys, I always middleclick, except when I do it in IE, no tabs open up. :(

I also find myself right clicking, looking for the quote option, the photo size option, the "reload every..." button, etc., from all my extensions. Probably should have mentioned Firefox to our school network admin, but he probably wouldn't like us messing with the computers even if it was an improvement.

18. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/tabbed-browsing.html

Great feature i use all the time. Like KaSieR said, I middle click everything that i click on with the mouse scroller rather than right clicking to open a new window.

19. sourav004

sourav004 Member

OOOOO man
    FireFox is the coolest thing. I dont know how i ever lived without it.
    The tab thing is the best thing ever. It makes life a whole lot easier.
    I highly recommend it.

Plus: The sites seem to load up a little faster now. I dont know if its just my imagination.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Where is the "reload every.." button? I heard that was a feature, but never knew where to set it..