1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Firefox 3 question??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FLAGRANT1, Oct 14, 2008.

1. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Hey guys I know a lot of you on this board are more profficient on a PC than I am and I have a question about firefox 3. Firefox is the browser I use on all my home computer and laptops. I think it is more fast and secure than IE of course. I attempted to download it to my work desktop and when I downloaded it I was given the option of using space in my documents or downloading it directly to the desktop. When I realized how many icons were now on my desktop after the download completed I moved them into a file in my documents to clean it up. Now the browser is useless. There is an error message stating that the "firefox.exe" file has been moved and now the browser will not work properly. I went to my task manager to uninstall but it was not there. I also rebooted the computer and ran a search for the firefox.exe file to uniinstall. I deleted the file after I ran a search and found it. I attempted to install the browser again and my system is telling me I don't have enough space which means that all the original apps did not uninstall when I mistakenly(I guess) deleted the .exe. Can one of you please help me digg out of this hole?

Thanks in advance.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Holy crap. No. :D

3. droxford

droxford Member

Wow... I hate to say this, dude, but you're about to get flamed for that question. That's very, very simple computer stuff you're talking about.

4. Christopher

Christopher Member

You just ruined your whole computer.

5. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

It might just be easier for you to take your computer to your IT guys and have them fix everything for you...

6. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Hey, dipschitt you got an answer to the question or are you or are you just using unnecessary words when you could have just strait up said "Hey guys I'm a douche!!"

7. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Is the website down?

8. SwoLy-D

Allright... seeing as how droxford confirmed my suspicions... I'll attempt to help you... :eek: AND trust me, please, you don't mess with wangdoo... I mean, droxford, dude.

We'll do this one step at a time.

Can you check how much space you have left on your hard drive and delete some por... I mean, some files you don't need? :confused:

9. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Check your disk space first. Open up Windows Explorer (right click on the Start button and select Explore). Right-click on your C: drive in the Window Explorer and select Properties. Make sure you have a sufficient amount of free space so that...1. Windows will run and 2. you can install new software. I would make sure to have at least 5-10GB free. If you are beneath this threshold, then make some free space. Delete your p*rn, music files, temporary internet files or anything else that you are sure you won't need. Try reinstalling once you have a sufficient amount of free space.

Personally, I'd download the install file to a temporary location and accept all of the defaults when prompted during the setup. This will make the install as simple as possible. Do not install things to weird locations and make sure to delete the install file after you've successfully installed Firefox.

10. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Thanks for your help. I just don't have much personal file storage space and this is intentionally set up by the company. The only thing I have downloaded is now taking up to much space and I can't uninstall it. I was thinking I could download the browser onto a flash drive, copy a shortcut to the desktop and uniinstall that process through the task manager. Would that work?

11. droxford

droxford Member

At this point it sounds like you downloaded the Firefox installer to your desktop....

.... but after reading this, it sounds like you ran the installer and actually installed Firefox onto your desktop, then moved it to your "My Documents" folder. Now, when you click on the shortcut for Firefox (which is still pointing to your desktop) it can't find the Firefox.exe (because you moved it).

To uninstall an application, normally one would go to the Control Panel, not Task Manager. If you have have moved the Firefox.exe, however, you would probably not be able to remove the application.

Deleting the .exe does not uninstall a program. And, certainly, if you've deleted the .exe, all shortcuts that pointed to it will no longer work.

If your "system is telling you you don't have enough space", it's because your hard drive is full, not because the application did not properly install.

If I am accurate in the way I'm interpreting your problem, I recommend following these steps:

1) clear off hard drive space, by deleting old, large files. This will give you the room you need to work.

2) re-run the Firefox installer and install the application on your desktop again.

3) Now, go to Control Panel and properly uninstall the Firefox application from your desktop. This should not only remove the Firefox.exe, but also remove all the other stuff (registry entries, dll files, etc.) that gets installed with Firefox.

4) re-run the Firefox installer again and install Firefox in "c:\Program Files\Mozilla\Firefox" (almost all Windows programs should be installed in "c:\program files" on a normal PC). The installer will give you the option to create a shortcut to Firefox on your desktop. This is probably what you want.

5) delete the files that you copied to your My Documents folder.

12. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

That was very good of you. Thank you........ I'll see if I can apply this.....

13. SwoLy-D

Hey, droxford :D, you forgot

7) don't call me a dipschitt ever again, please

and I will add :eek: :

8) "Jeffry!?!? Apologize to Mr. McDowell...!" <- name that movie...

14. droxford

droxford Member

Nah, I think my context was lost in a text-based communication. And, really, I don't know if I accurately diagnosed his problem, but I gave it a shot.

As for the movie quote...
    ...hmm.. Coming to America?

15. SwoLy-D

Very well explained and played, sir. We have a winner, mister droxford, movie connoisseur. :eek:

"NONSENSE. The man is beneath me, and so is his daughter. I will do no such thing." :D

Take the defaults, FLAGRANT1, but note if it installs on the desktop again... it should NOT.

16. Jimes

Jimes Member

Props to droxford for overlooking an insult and giving a very helpful response.

17. droxford

droxford Member

Do ya think I got his problem properly diagnosed? I'm hoping my directions won't worsen his situation.

18. Jimes

Jimes Member

Your directions sound good to me. The diagnosis is likely correct b/c installing to the desktop and moving all the files manually would do exactly what he described. The only question is if it will allow him to re-install Firefox even though it's still not technically un-installed. I assume it will, in which case the solution should work.

19. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

It sounds like the IT department has given FLAGRANT1's network profile a severe space limitation (as he previously mentioned). If that is the case, he may be screwed all around without getting them involved...which might ultimately undermine his initial goal of sneaking an unapproved browser into his computing environment. If you have to get IT involved and they're giving you a lot of caca for this, just tell him that you have proof that he has been secretly reading the hot secretary's emails to her boyfriend. You'll get Firefox installed without a problem and a lot of extra profile space. ;)