1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fired Jack Easterby

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by coachbadlee, Nov 11, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

So who will Calhoun’s mustache fancy next?

First it was Rick Smith, then Easterby, who’s next?

justtxyank and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

If that is from November 2020, we didn't know half the **** Easterby had done. Much of that came out in January-March of 2021. So no, I didn't know how deep Easterby hooks ran into the McNairs.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Quote me right. I said Easterby became irrelevant after Caserio became GM. It was ALWAYS a matter of time before Easterby was gone. The question was, How long would it take?

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I wouldn't put too much stock into anything Pancakes has to say. After all he's been nothing but a shill for whatever propaganda ownership wanted to spew to the masses. He's been doing so since the days of Bud Adams and the Oilers and for the last 20 odd years with the Texans. I listened to his "reporting" on Sportsradio 610 today and it was the usual McClain spiel. If you listen closely, he minimizes the role played by ownership in this mess although he did let it slip that Cal and Janice had finally "come to the conclusion" that Easterby no longer served any purpose in the organization. Whatever. Don't forget that it was Easterby who was behind Cal's hiring of Caserio against the recommendation of the search committee. And, that it was Easterby who was pushing to hire McCown. And that it was Easterby who enjoyed such a close, spiritual relationship with Cal and Janice. Had it not been for Flores' lawsuit, he'd be the current head coach and we'd all be witnessing the cluster of all cluster****s.

What I see is that now that Easterby is gone, all responsibility for this organization's failures will be pinned on him. I already see that happening after listening to Sportsradio 610 this afternoon where the discussion was about why the Texans aren't a desirable spot - a place to come and win a championship - for coaches and free agents and the prime reason was pinned on the poisonous Jack Easterby. Quite convenient I'd say - especially since the real problem with the Texans from day one has been ownership and since that hasn't changed, I see no reason to believe that the fortunes of this team are going to change.

J.R. and a time to chill like this.
  5. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Cal is way worse than his Dad. At least his Dad made personal success himself through struggles and therefore was competent in business. And therefore the Texans had some good W/L seasons under him. (No I don't believe that success is only defined by winning a championship. Marino, Barkley, Malone/Stockton are all still considered great players.)

Cal was just given everything.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I get what you are trying to say here. But I disagree a bit. When we got rid of obrien, it was pinned on him, rid of culley a little pinned on him. Yes this organization likes to do that. So do others like the Yankees and the poor sap that recorded their games from CF.
    And yes, when Cal took over for his dad, it was a drop off. But when the team itself began its, not drop off, but nose dive into chaos and bum***kery, was when that snake Easterby came over. He manipulated BoB into thinking he could be a GM, he conned Cal into thinking BOB could be a GM, they got rid of Gaine, they got rid of players Easterby didn’t like, they brought in Caserio…
    Do I think ownership is dumb and can be tricked into idiot decisions, yes. And hopefully they can hire football ppl to make those from now on. And do I blame them for falling for Easterby and his schemes, also yes.
    But when a conman creates a pyramid scheme, yes you can say the victims are gullible and share some blame, but good god this man was at the hub of it all. He threw people in FO and players under the bus, and he made plenty of comments to justify himself. Cal is dumb for falling for it, but Easterby deserves all the problems to be pinned. The fact that his burner account is still going just shows how much of a psychopath he is.

macho GRANDE and houston19519 like this.
  7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Aside from the players, my understanding is that Easterby was really cancerous within the Texans organization. There were a lot good people fired on Easterby's whim. People were also encouraged to report on others within the organization.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Fair enough. I will say that most of us saw the writing on the wall early on with Easterby (and BoB), both of which you downplayed or straight up argued against until $hit completely hit the fan.

clos4life, Rudyc281, havoc1 and 2 others like this.
  9. conquistador#11

The trade with Dhop happened March 16th, a day after the Ides of March. And we were already talking about Easterby's influence there and the firing of Brian Gaine prior to that.

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Yet somehow caserio was hired. More downplaying of da easterbunnny

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

That trade was all BoB. He didn’t like Hop. I wouldn’t put that on Easterbunny.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And that was before all the **** came out. Easterby was littlefinger from GOT. Easterby’s influence was in the organization off the field, obviously. Yes, he tried to get McCown hired. He helped get Caserio hired. However, When Caserio was hired…Easterby signed his contract exit paperwork (he just didn’t know yet). Caserio wasn’t going to immediately get rid of a friend until he could. When Lovie was hired, we knew Easterby influence was gone because Lovie was going to put with him being anywhere near the field. Easterby basically disappeared in 2022. It was just a matter of time before he disappeared from the Texans.

13. HstnSprtsFan101

It feels like we can finally begin to move forward & make some real strides. Hats off to whoever finally let their nuts hang a little bit. Expecting to see an energized squad

14. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Same here. I can finally support this team again. Looking forward to being disappointed every Sunday again lol

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Let the bidding war for his services commence.

desihooper and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's going to be really funny if suddenly the Texans come out Sunday and just stomp a mudhole in the Raiders.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. Nero

Nero Member

You know, as a long-time resident of Houston, and a fan of Houston sports since the days of Bum and Earl, I think what is most disturbing about this whole thing is this:

Houston is largely a 'working class' kind of a city. Sure, there is a percentage of the population with the 'pinky-in-the-air, sipping-wine-spritzers' etc etc, but it's a pretty small percentage compared to the region as a whole. For the most part, Houston is a city of people who work hard and try to do the best they can when they can. And there is nothing wrong with that.

But then our beloved (but perpetually 'bridesmaid') Oilers get moved out of state by that nasty ball of grease Bud Adams, and then a few years later, we get Bob McNair to come along and rescue the city from NFL purgatory... and we think, 'Finally! Someone who seems to 'get' the people of Houston! This new team, The Texans (ugh what a horrible choice for a team name!) would start slow, but build a solid organization, brick by brick, until it would eventually become something of which we could all be proud!' That was our hope anyway.

But as it turned out, being rich or good at 'business' in no way ever translated into creating a solid organization. Sure, a few good records here and there, but the spine was never really there and so in the playoffs those teams were always exposed as frauds, at least that's how it felt.

And the Bob McNair loses his battle with Father Time, and leaves the whole thing to... his kid.. who.. I don't know... I don't know what he is really. Is he good at anything? Is he even of average intelligence? Well, I know what he is NOT.. he is NOT someone who 'gets' the people of Houston.

The man clearly has no clue about.. ANYTHING.

And a viper like Easterby could smell that prey from a thousand miles away.

The fact that the guy was ever allowed in the building in the first place.. the fact that BoB was ever allowed to last more than 2 years in the first place.. the fact that some of this organization's most beloved legacy players were cast aside.. the fact that a work environment was allowed to be created which was so toxic that people had to have HATED working there..

It tells me that the 'owner' of this team is asleep at the wheel. And yes, even the asleep-at-the-wheel owner must have finally been made aware of something even HE could no longer tolerate from Easterby, and finally sent him packing.

But Cal will stay. So, why on earth would anyone ever expect anything to change?

Ok, maybe the eternal optimist in me will convince me to 'give Caserio a chance'. After Lovie gets fired, maybe they will finally start making some good cutting-edge hires, and start making shrewd decisions in the draft and on the trade market, and maybe this whole thing will heal and the organization can finally become what we have all always wanted it to be: something we can be PROUD of.

I know, I know.. it's a silly naive hope.

And that right there is what is so disturbing - that we all know that our hope is naive.

Seriously - when is the last time you could visit another city and PROUDLY wear a Texans t-shirt.. instead of just being embarrassed?

Cal.. please, for the love of God.. just sell the team.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

But Cal is serving BBQ at training camp and giving people discounts off of Brandon Cooks jerseys. Man of the people.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Andre is going to return to the organization in some capacity

Caserio is and has been since he arrived calling the shots ( except the Culley and Lovie hire) and he has really turned this team around with cap space and draft picks galore.

Cal has been trying to some degree to engage with the fans and trying to get a pulse on the fans and city - grilling burgers at training camp answering questions on Reddit

Most of all Cal fired Easterby!!!! Let’s give that man some credit.

I like Lovie I really do and firing him after one year would really look bad for organization but don’t we any way so….

But you know what would really ease that backlash??….

To hire Demeco Ryans as next HC with Andre back in the fold and Ryans as the new HC who has done remarkable things at San Fran…unless they fire baby shanahan and hire Ryans themselves.

And I can see Caserio really liking Ryans as well I think Caserio wants a defensive HC and a team with a dominate defense.

macho GRANDE and Stephen66 like this.
  20. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

To expound on what you mentioned. I remember the days in middle school where we actually had pep rallies for the Oilers. Those 3/4 sleeve oilers tee shirts were the bomb. Campbell was god, everybody did white shoes dance in the back yard. Bum was the everyman represented. Gilley's was rocking and Houston was what every drug store cowboy wanted to be.

I'm up here in Albany NY these days, and sadly my blind devotion for the reincarnation of this team always stayed in tact. My usual line for anyone questioning my love for the Stros up here is its OK I love the Texans as well, so not considered to be a bandwagoner. When I say I'm a Texans fan the facial expression usually reads. Bless your heart.

Today I feel like our legacies can come back to the building, that free agents may look at us a bit more, that these men can be men, and instead of bible study on Sunday morning they can look at film.

It may be fools gold, but somehow today feels like the dementors have left Hogwarts.

macho GRANDE likes this.