1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fired Culley

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaDakota, Dec 5, 2021.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Here's one more thing to consider when Nick "File Clerk" Caserio comes on to spout more CYA misinformation at 11 today: Culley did not hire any of the staff and NEVER had any say in any operations or personnel. Yet, Nick and Jack want you to swallow the reason that Culley was let go was because he reused to make changes in football operations over which when he NEVER had any authority in the first place. This "philosophical differences" BS is just cover by the Easterby/Caserio marketing machine. There's no doubt in my mind that if Caserio wanted other assistants, Culley would have parroted the company line 1000%.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yup what's even worse is they let Culley face the firing squad for days about his own status while Caserio postponed his own end of the season media session.

4. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Obviously last year was a waste year, everyone knew that, even experts were predicting a 0-17 season, everybody knew it was a lost year, thats why they let JJ Watt walk, so he could play elsewhere, one of his last years in the NFL, and nobody wanted to take the job, by risking it have a bad season, and never had another chance of coaching. Culley was a bad coach, he made a lot of mistakes during the games, that a normal HC wouldnt do it,
    he barely made halftime adjustments, they played great in the 1st half, then the other team made adjustments and couldnt make more adjustments in the run (except last game). Culley is a good guy, but an awful HC, having Culley for a 2nd year wouldnt let this team really win anything, and we couldnt see what Mills really had, before deciding if he is the QB or we draft another one in 2023.

Also one of the reason Culley was fired, was because he wanted Tim Kelly back as a OC, and said they did a good job in the offensive part, even when the Texans finished being the 32nd offense in the NFL., thats shows how incompetent Culley is.

The Giants waited 2 years with Joe Judge, when he was clearly an awful coach, so they wasted 2 years, instead of just one, just like the Texans did it.
    The Giants also are a clown organization, just liek the Texans.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You don't need to listen. It was on 790 and it was Brian T Smith. If they hire a coach, he'll bash them. If they fire a coach, he'll bash them. It's his shtick. 790 leans hard into the hate and Brian T Smith is a the most predictable hater of all.

Nook, TheFreak and treyk3 like this.
  6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's the least valuable reporter at the Chronicle for information and the most valuable for bringing clicks because people fall for his bullshit.

All he does is play contrarian for all three teams. He is either doing a bit or is a miserable dude.

jelanit, Nook, TheFreak and 1 other person like this.
  7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Read Hillboy post #462. We had takers but the Texans decide to hired the most unqualified person possible.

"No coach of value" = it's fine for Texans to hired the most unqualified person available?

It was a sham job of a gm hiring process and a dumbass coach hiring.

The org is so fking badly managed.

Rewinded this a bit.
    Before Watson got exposed for the person as he was.

Dumbass ass owner and his religious charlatan ignored his ass and fked the relationship with that faux ass "gm search". Had reports that they personally flew a plane to hire the gm easterbunny wanted over the firm that sht owner hired to interview gms for since he said he was unqualified.

Dumbass franchise refused to properly interview the hc Watson wanted, giving the chief oc interview last min.

Fked over Watson relationship, his trade value tanked cause of the scandal and then to top it off they fire the incompetent coach they themselves hired a year later.

I'm sure these this dumba$$ franchise already have a coach they want.

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

1. Fked our relationship with Watson by hiring the most incompetent coach ever while ignoring the ones he recommended

2. Trade value sunked when Watson got exposed

3. Fired incompetent coach a year later to probably grab coach they had in mind all long

4. Wasted a season for what?

We might as well grabbed the coach easterbunny really wanted instead of this sham of faux "coach hiring process".

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Caserio:

These decisions are always difficult. Sometimes you have to make decisions that are difficult. When you rewind here and go back a year ago where we were, when I started & took over, the organization was in a rough spot. We’re in a better position now because the direction of David Cullen. Appreciation & respect for what he did for this team. Forever indebted to him. These decisions are never easy. Challenging but productive year. This business is results and process. Difficult decisions, one of the hardest decision I’ve had to make. Feel what’s best for the Texans organization. Do everything I can to move this franchise forward. This is my decision. Felt we needed to do, best interest of the organization.

What are you looking for in next HC?

No one should assume anything. Deliberate with this process. Finding best fit for this organization. Wouldn’t assume anything. We’ll be thorough.

Philosophical differences?

Fair question but out of respect, won’t say. Take a global view, take Texans out of it, end of each year, want to make an evaluation where your program is. What do we need to do to fix those problems? When you look at our team, did some things OK. Other things we need to fix. We all need to do better. It’s about moving forward, being open minded to changes, whatever that entails. Overarching thing is we need to be better and find ways to get better. Teams that can ID problems, fix and implement them, those teams have success. To take big picture global view, whatever the business entails, those that do those things are the better businesses. Have to be willing to make changes when changes are difficult.

How many years left?

Won’t get into anyone’s contractual status. Not fair to anyone involved.

Philosophically, things we saw differently.

When you hired David, did you think he was long term?

Yes, thought he was the best fit for the Texans at the time. It’s a year-to-year endeavor. We felt he was the best coach at that time. My responsibility is to assess everything. That won’t change. My responsibility is at the end of the year, evaluate everything and do what’s best for the McNair family, Texans organization.

What are you looking for?

A lot of the qualities David possessed. Coaching is a leadership position. People get caught up in Xs and Os. My responsibility is provide support & infrastructure so we can succeed.

When you evaluate a team, we have to be open minded to change, at least entertaining change. … There’s differences about next steps or how we move forward.

Tim Kelly was also fired. What would you like from the offense?

It’s about production. Offensively, did some good things. Areas we need to improve and get better. In the end, that was something we needed to do and should do.

This year, we put a good foundation in place. When you move forward, our situation is better than it was a year ago. … Some good things in place. Work in front of us. Competitive spirit is positive. You aren’t here on day-to-day basis but underneath the surface, we’ve made some advances. That has to translate to on the field.

Did you get your first hire right?

Not for me to judge. We hired David because we believed in him. Where the program is now, he deserves credit for that. Unfortunately, this is a year to year bottom line business. … In your mind, you have a vision and this is what it looks like but along the way, might run into bumps and have to make decisions.

You know NE but KC, GB, Pittsburgh, they haven’t made a change like this. What will make this situation different?

Those organizations are who we’re chasing. We’re trying to put ourselves on a similar level. … … That’s a difficult goal but that’s what we have to strive for. We’re not there. We made incremental progress and hopefully we can make more, understanding change will be a part of that.

Cal’s reaction?

Very open minded. My goal is to do right by their family and this organization. You have to have honest conversations. They believe in me. If we take myself out of it, what we’re trying to build, when I’m not here, the Texans can continue to move forward. We’re at the infantile stages of building. We’re trying to do things their family can carry on. They listen. They’re receptive and placing trust in my vision.

Deshaun?

That situation, no more clarity today than previously.

How long will this coach have?

All of us are year to year, day by day. One thing consistent in the NFL is change is constant. There’s some organizations who have less change but overarching theme is change. We’ll take it one day at a time and do what’s best.

How much control over staff will new coach have?

We won’t dictate anything. We’ll have open discussions. …

Added pressure to get this next hire right?

Only the pressure you guys put on me.

Timeline?

Don’t think there is a timeline. However long it takes, it takes.

You feel this team is in better position. Where?

Overall, the building, attitude, belief in things we’re doing. When you look at the way the players responded and performed on week to week basis, they played their ass off, with competitive spirit, chance to win more games. Attitude, approach, that goes back to what David was able to put in place. Players committed to us. We’re about the work. For 2022 Texans, it’s gonna be about the work.

Autonomy the next coach will have? Will you be in the booth?

Those discussions will be organic. … For better or worse, my perspective is unique to others in my position. Doesn’t mean it’s better or right. If I can provide input, that’s what I’m here for. I’m here to serve the Texans, the HC, the people in this building. I can’t undo I was in the press box 18 of 20 years in NE. …

JoeBarelyCares and Htown Legend like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Literally said nothing in 30 minutes except that they are receptive to trading the 3rd pick.

Flores became available and they fired the coach because of this. Culley was never the long term answer and he was hired to fire because he really didn't have any other chance to do this elsewhere. It was like a sweepstakes.

I'm not too invested in who they hire because it is what it is, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't Flores. I'm surprised they are even saying they are going to be thorough. I honestly was expecting the announcement sometime next week.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. showa13

showa13 Member

So we’re going to hire Jerod Mayo, good to know.

UTSA2step likes this.
  18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

An excellent synopsis JR. Caserio revalidated the old saying: "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit".

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

How much cap space do they have ?

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is not at all what happened. Whatever you think of CUlley and what went in to his hiring, it had no bearing on the Watson situation.

Nook likes this.