1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fired Culley

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaDakota, Dec 5, 2021.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Felt bad, man waited his whole career and jump at the opportunity that was given. Sadly we all knew he was gonna b da scape goat.
    No oline, no marquee vets, no qb, holes everywhere. At least he got paid, but there goes any future chances of culley being hc.

Idk y we went through all this circus of pissing of watson by hiring a scapegoat HC just to bend the knee a year later and go for a coach he wanted afterwards.

Incompetent trash franchise makes cheap ass tilman looks good.

B-Bob and T_Man like this.
  2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yeah, that is the bulls**t spin job the Texans and their media sycophants (looking at you Sportsradio 610) want Houston football fans to swallow. Let me get this straight: They go out and deliberately hire a guy with NO head coaching experience - a guy who had never even worked as a offensive or defensive coodinator in college or the NFL and then one year later let him go because he was " incapable of performing the basic duties of an NFL head coach". Well DUH! Those ass clowns knew this a year ago and now they expect us to swallow that somehow it was Culley's incompetence that forced their hand.

Oh really? Let's recall Nick Caserio's presser when he announced Culley's hiring when he positively gushed over Culley saying that if you "weren't excited to get him, then you needed to go get some caffine to liven you up". His offiial press release went as follows:

"Heading into this process, it was imperative to find a head coach that our entire organization could rally behind and David is unquestionably that leader," Texans General Manager Nick Caserio said in a release. "David’s infectious energy, passion for the game and ability to command a room was clear from the start. As he shared his vision for how a head coach should lead a football team, it further solidified our belief in him. His mentality of being selfless and willing to accept any challenge while investing in each person within our program resonated with all of us. I could not be more excited to welcome David Culley and his family to Houston as the next head coach of the Texans."

And leave us not forget that this guy was chosen over Kansas City offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, Indianapolis defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus, Buffalo assistant head coach/defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, Detroit coach Jim Caldwell, former Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis and Carolina offensive coordinator Joe Brady.

So now, after one season, Easterby and Caserio suddenly came to the realization that the unqualified guy they hired to be the head coach is not qualified to be a head coach in the NFL and because of that he (Culley) is the one who's responsible for his firing. Oh and how about the tweet on the Sportsradio 610 Twitter feed tonight where he said:

"I came to this difficult but necessary decision after reviewing our football operation," Caserio's statement reads. "While a change after one season is unusual, we had philosophical differences over the long-term direction and vision for our program moving forward. We appreciate Coach Culley for helping us navigate through a difficult season, but it is my responsibility to make decisions that I feel are best for our organization. The search for the next coach of the Houston Texans will begin immediately."

Yeah, B U L L S * * T! As if Culley ever really had ANY say or influence in the long-term direction and vision of this team that contradicted Caserio's and Easterby's because that would have meant that he actually operated as a legitimate head coach who was totally in charge here from the start and we all know that was never the case nor was it ever going to be allowed by Easterby and Caserio.

3. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Bingo

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

As disappointing as that is, I don't think it invalidates my theory that since Caserio was hired on Jan 7 2021 and most of the new HC hires last year took place merely a week later that Caserio didn't really have time to get whomever he might have wanted during last year's search. It also lends credence to the idea that Caserio is the primary driver of the hiring process and that Easterby is just the gladhanding stooge and carpetbagger we all suspect he is.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Yes. They did. This team was built not to compete. They hired a comically unqualified coach and gave him a roster full of total has-beens and never-weres. This was a tank job from the beginning and to think otherwise is beyond the pale.

You can argue this was the correct strategy because the team was in such a state of disrepair, but it's rare to see such a blatant and obvious faceplant from an NFL team as the 2021 Texans were.

Getting Mills reps and a high draft pick was probably going to happen anyway, but it legit never felt like this team had a chance at even thinking about competing, and that's not common even for the most moribound franchises year over year.

B-Bob and conquistador#11 like this.
  6. Fantasma Negro

It was a rebuilding year, were you expecting to win the superbowl with Tyrod Taylor? This was a year for evaluation, that was it

primtim24 likes this.
  7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think, in general, most people agree that David Culley was not the right person and is not HC material. So that brings it all down to criticism of the team for hiring him in the first place. But I think some of the outrage that they hired the guy needs to be tempered by the very real possibility that back when we were doing this hiring, NO ONE who was worth a damn would want to come to this team.

Think of the scenario at the time (and I'm going off memory here so if my timeline isn't right please correct me): our star QB was asking for a trade. Management seemed to be totally incapable of doing anything well and were getting negative press right and left. This guy Easterby was being touted as some weird snake-oil salesman that had the owner's ear but didn't know anything about football...so there's political drama to deal with from the outset. I think at the time the details of Watson's lawsuits hadn't yet come out but it wouldn't surprise me if the team knew about a lot of it and were probably telling head coaching candidates the truth, which is that you cannot expect Deshaun to come back to this team. So what did that leave? A team with little talent (because the inept front office had pissed what we had away in bad trades or people left) with no high draft picks to get impact players. What coach that was worth a damn would want to jump into that shitshow?

So taking that all into account, if the team hired someone that they knew would be a reasonable good guy, but would be easy to fire/replace in a year or two, I don't necessarily have a problem with that. Does everyone remember the previous decades when this team would hold on to coaches for YEARS longer than necessary because they gave people the benefit of the doubt to a fault? If Culley had been just sort of okay, and this team won 6-7 games but then proceeded to follow that up with 3 more years of going 9-8 or 8-9 and never really showing any flashes of being a contender, would we be better off to replace the head coach then? Because had the team hired someone that was just okay (instead of incompetent as Culley appeared to be), that's probably what we would have gotten.

The question becomes, is this team's situation improved enough now for them to get a coach that can make a difference? I don't know the answer to that. I certainly hope Mills and the future trade returns of Watson is enough to turn that tide. But more than anything I hope before they made the decision to fire Culley that they already had someone more or less lined up and there is little or no mystery to who gets hired next. Because if they go through another HC hiring process and end up with another HC that is garbage, then all of this WOULD have been for nothing.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Where a bunch of nothing will be said.
    “Best interest of the team/organization/franchise/Texans” … Drink!

Brian T. Smith, Houston Chronicle: Calhoun, after saying last year “We do not consider ourselves the Patriots South”, should we still believe that?

Calhoun: Good question Brian. Brian & I go way back. Remember when we did the Ice Bucket Challenge? Good times Brian. Now what was your question again?

[​IMG]

Nook and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why would you complain about him a stop gap? Their franchise qb quit. It was a lost season before it got started. Are they supposed to say we don't plan for this to be our coach after this season and undermine any authority he has?

TheFreak likes this.
  10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Dude got paid to baby sit a team for a season until they found a long term coach. Couldn't have worked out better for the guy to get out now and find a lower responsibility job with a better franchise.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Smith was going off on Cal and Co. just a moment ago on 610. While I’m perfectly fine with them trying to correct an obvious mistake, this might be one of the worst run, unprofessional franchises I’ve seen.

12. liveguy

liveguy Member

1000% correct!!!

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. gucci888

Not sure how you felt about these guys but I would've bet one of Beiniemy or Eberflus would've taken the job. And while I did not like these candidates at the time, Caldwell and Frazier would've made a lot more sense than Culley.

14. liveguy

liveguy Member

More than likely, Culley was the last coach hired last off-season was because the Texans couldn’t find anyone that wanted to take the job.

Everyone already knew what was going on with Deshaun and JJ leaving, etc…

No coach of value wanted the gig…

Rebuilding team, inept front office…NO THANKS!

Only coach they could find that would accept the gig was a guy that never had any major coaching responsibilities and didn’t mind being the puppet in public was Culley.

Never was a coordinator? AT ALL?!

Man was hired to be an interim HC.

Happy Culley getting his money tho.

Texans organization from the top down is comical.

UTSA2step and BigShasta like this.
  15. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

You ain't lying on that one.

T_Man and HillBoy like this.
  16. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

People keep bringing this tweet and the $22MM up, but didn't Aaron Wilson and others already refute this? I thought he was only getting another $4MM guaranteed?

17. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I'm not someone that really knows much about potential head coaching candidates. Considering the number of times Bienemy has interviewed around the league and then not hired on, it does seem likely he would have taken the job if offered. Not sure on Eberflus.

18. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Eberflus refused an interview request last year.

19. gucci888

He did until the Colts season was over. He interviewed the week after.

Xopher likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

What was said? I haven't listened to local radio since that baseball game in Nov.

I suppose it's a good time to listen