1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fireavery.com

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mooch, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Mooch

Mooch Member

I always liked him as a coach, but the past three years he has choked when it mattered the most.

2. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

i say as long as he keeps choking, keep him coaching.

stupid mavs.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

as long as they continue to play like the last 2 years. Keep him.

That site btw is pretty funny.

4. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Maybe it's just that the Mavs players suck and they are just as soft as the site claims Avery to be. Where was Dirk on that picture when Chris Paul put up that shot? Not even attempting to contest it. The Mavs have given up on that game and the series long ago. They are not going to find a better coach so they can just go burn in lottery.

Howard couldn't hit a jumper to save his life in game 1. How come he doesn't play like that against us? Stackhouse couldn't hit jack **** in game 2, why doesn't he play like that against us? The Mavs had their golden opportunity 2 seasons ago and they let Wade take it away from them. Now they are going to never win one, or suffer for a long time before they do!

Fire Avery? Are you Mavs fans daft? The same guy that wanted to trade Charmin-soft (I like Dirk, for the record) for Kobe Bryant last season when he was on the market?

He's not the only choker on that team. It must be frustrating to have talent that just withers away at the first sight of real competition. :eek:

5. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

The Mavs are DONE and Mark Cuban has no one to blame other than himself. If you remember my post a few weeks ago, I think Cuban has meddled way too much with the team instead of letting the people qualified for the job to select the players and staff.

Cuban's time as the lovable owner that is "the best owner in pro sports" are OVER. It's been a myth all along and now he's getting exposed as Jason Kidd is getting absolutely demolished by CP3.

This website has nothing to worry about, I don't think Avery Johnson would want to come back even if they offered him a raise. Why would you want to work for an owner that physically stares you down during a game like he wants to fire you on the spot? Why would you want to work for an owner that confronts you in the locker room immediately after a tough loss? Why would you want to work for an owner that lets Steve Nash go because he's "too old" to pay $60M, uses the money he saves on Steve Nash to sign Erick Dampier, and then trades the younger players on the team for Jason Kidd?

FireCuban.com (better yet keep him, because I love seeing the Mavs get blown up. How soon til their fans hop off of the bandwagon?)

6. Blue Brick

Blue Brick Member

Didnt they start something like this when we kicked their a$$ (for 2 games only) at dallas back in 2005?

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Avery has the wrong players for his style. He needs veterans with some real toughness because Avery is not much of a motivator and doesn't seem particularly bright when it comes to Xs and Os.

8. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

I don't know too much about Avery but he seems like a decent coach. He kept the team motivated through the 67 win season, and it does take serious motivation to keep a team hungry through all that. Very few coaches in this league could NOT use veterans with real toughness, it's a trait that is sought after throughout the league for the most part.

I doubt Avery stays regardless. The Mavs suck. I woudln't want to be stuck with that bunch of crap. Seriously, Kidd is great and all but the guy is ancient. If you think he even has a chance against CP3 you're r****ded, which Mark Cuban is I guess? You traded away the future PG (just because the owner didn't like him), a good backup C, and change for a washed up legend who is getting demolished by his second coming?

I can't believe we couldn't finish that team 4 seasons ago. That still eats at me sometimes.

9. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Grilled burgers and dogs last night and invited a few friends over. Since I'm up here in Denton, all of them were Mavs fans.

There was NOBODY playing last night they wanted to keep. That includes the coach. Fans up here have had it. They know they peaked in Miami and everything since has been down hill.

They were so PISSED last night, they couldn't even watch the second half. So lots of time was spent on the patio.

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

I always thought he was overrated. The Dallas team got talents and all he needed to do was sitting there pretending to be coaching. NBA decided to give him the coach of the year award for his doing that.

11. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I wonder what Mario Elie is thinking?

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

"Avery's gonna be fired soon - head coach here I come!"

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That team was a joke until cuban took them over. I for one applaud an owner who will take a chance on being great over wallowing in mediocrity. Cuban basically ended up getting terry, harris, stackhouse for a bunch of expiring contracts. His ability to take on contracts has allowed them to get better.

14. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

Chiming in only b/c it's a good story...

but, I was a player for the first team that Avery ever coached.

It was the summer of '92. The Fonde all-star high school league was starting up. Our squad was the only team without a coach. Word got out, and somehow, somebody got ahold of Avery. He was/is real present in the community...so he came on as our coach for the season.

He was a great guy and a player's coach. He was really loyal and I can see that to a fault with his current team. As has been mentioned, he is not the reason for the Maverick's failings.

The Mavs have no inside presence at all. Dirk is a great player, but when your best back to the basket player is Stackhouse, your team is definitely lacking in the post. The trade for Kidd will set them back further as there is no core to build around an aging Dirk, Terry, and Howard (who, I suppose, is still a young player). In a conference with Duncan, Shaq, Yao, Amare, Byrum and the like, there will continue to be first round exits year after year until they can get some physical players inside (no Dampier doesn't count), especially on the defensive end.

15. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

I've had a theory for a couple of months now that Dallas would lose in Round 1, Avery would get fired, Phoenix would hire him, and JVG would end up in Dallas, meaning Carlisle will go to Chicago, and Thibodeau succeeds Riley in Miami.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

JVG will never work for Cuban.

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I thought the same thing. He inherited a high octane offense and arguably the most talented roster in the league. The only problem they had was defensively and that goes with the territory when you have a Don Nelson coached team. He basically demanded these guys play a bit of defense and left everything else alone. Not too hard.

Since then, the team has set all time records for choking in clutch situations and it seemed obvious to me since last season that the players are not listening to him. He also leaves me extremely underwhelmed when it comes to making adjustments and doing any real coaching. He is a career assistant coach IMO because he is one-dimensional but very passionate and seems like a guy you could go to war with.

I would love to have him come to Houston and work under Adelman just so we could hear his shrill voice resonate throughout the Toyota Center.

18. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I really think AJ did so well against the Spurs was due to his familiarities with the Spurs. The Mavs beated the Grizzilies, the Spurs, and the Suns and went to the 06 final. But let's not forget the Suns played without Amare Stoudamire and the Suns went on 2 7 game series vs the Lakers and the Clippers. So, AJ and the Mavs actually missed their best lucky shot to be a champion.

The defeats to the Heat and the Warriors showed AJ's inexperience and AJ failed to adjust to different strategy. AJ was simply out-coached.

AJ has vowed to bring defense to the Mavs but only with temporary success. The last game vs the Hornets, the Mavs' defense was so out of sync and their rotations were in a mess. The Mavs have players that can be a very good defensive squad - a big center, a mobile 4, athletic wing, and a good defensive PG in Kidd. So, I dont know what's wrong if anything but the coach's fault.

With all the shortcomings of AJ, this short lil General actually out-coached JVG. And people think Mark Cuban will want JVG!? LOL!

19. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

except they traded away this years first and the 2010 unprotected first so they won't even have picks to burn with anway. LOLZ

where's a fail image?

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

maybe they need to re-hire Del Harris as an assistant coach?