1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire TV Stick vs. Chromecast vs. Roku Streaming Stick

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Jan 7, 2015.

Tags:
?

Which streaming stick fits best?

1. Amazon Fire

11.8%
  2. Chromecast

51.0%
  3. Roku

25.5%
  4. My penis..... in your mum

11.8%
  1. VanityHalfBlack

Which stick measures up?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I have a chromecast.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Chromecast is nice.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Nothing beats Gary Busey slurring Ameuzon Firree TV Schtilck.

6. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

LOVE my Chromecast, use it all the time.

Just got a Fire stick over the holidays (for the upstairs tv...only because I got it pretty cheap), but haven't tried it yet.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Can't vouch for the others, but we use the chromecast every night. No cable box in the bedroom, as we just cast apps like Netflix and Showbox for movies and shows.

8. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I have the Chromecast, Fire TV stick, and a Roku 3 (not the stick, the standalone box). I use the Roku 3 the most, the Chromecast 2nd, and the Fire TV almost never. I got the FireTV for $19, the Chromecast for $39, and the Roku for about $80.

I've used the Roku (1,2,2XS,3) for many years, and haven't really found anything I like better. Roku 3 is for Netflix / Amazon Prime / League Pass. The Chromecast I use mostly for streaming NFL games and YouTube videos from the Chrome browser. FireTV, I haven't really explored much.

#8 Mack, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  9. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Chromecast for ease of use. I know amazon has a remote but with my parents they always know where their phone is. They forget where the remote is a lot. Simple press of a consistent icon and boom they are streaming.

10. theimpossibles1

I have fire TV stick. Super quick processing, great picture, only drawback is the lack of HBO GO.

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Chromecast. I feel like eventually the content will be there for it. You can't go wrong with the Roku stick either because of all the current apps that support it.

12. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

all i know is my roku was the best delivery system for ballstreams.. if i still needed that service i would go with the usb powered version of the hdmi stick, since i lack a powered hdmi port.. it even had a decent dlna channel.. my xbone handles all the netflix/hulu/dlna stuff so im good.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I am not familiar with the Fire stick, however it seems as if its a competitor to Roku.

Roku and Chromecast are designed for different platforms. Chromecast is a supplement to existing TV service. Its not an option for me as I do not want to be dependent on a PC. The lack of a remote is a problem too.

Roku can be a supplement or a replacement. There are hundreds of apps. The Roku platform is very smooth and easy to use. The Roku is also easily portable, taking it from one TV to another.

14. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

What the hell are you talking about?

15. Nero

Nero Member

Chromecast requires some other device in order to work - some kind of computer or portable device, to 'direct' things to the Chromecast stick.

Roku and Amazon Fire Stick are 'stand-alone' products, with their own remote controls, and their own specific menu system and methods of operation.

I happen to have one of each, and to be honest, even though my Roku is almost 5 years old now (it's one of the early top models with the USB port on the side, which is REALLY handy by the way), I think it is still the best of the bunch.

Now it's not the Roku 'stick', it's the actual Roku, but it's still small, and the new ones are even smaller. I am not sure if the Roku 'stick' operates in the same way as the regular Roku though. DO NOT lose the remote though, for either of the Roku or the Amazon stick! They are tiny!

All three are good devices, as far as I can tell.

The Amazon stick works well, once it is set up and updated and everything. It does seem to have a little of that 'closed ecosystem' that Amazon is famous for though, so keep that in mind.

The Chromecast is more of a sort of 'general purpose' item, and from what I can tell, you can 'send' a lot more to it than you can to the Amazon stick, at least as of now. Of course, the downside is, it's still buggy - I have yet to be able to get Ballstreams to function using the Chromecast.

And the Roku is just flat-out the best 'media-streaming box' I have come across. It just plain works.

1 person likes this.
  16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

The device I use the most is my Logitech revue. I have my cable box running through it to. Basically is an old Google TV box, with a keyboard /touchpad combo

17. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I'm enjoying the amazon fire stick. I only have amazon instant video and I haven't had a problem with how it's integrated. The remote and ability to use your phone as a remote is nice. I admittedly never fully utilized my chromecast other than casting tabs and youtube videos though.

18. VanityHalfBlack

Was going to get the fire stick but I'm not waiting till Feb to ship. The majority seems to go with Chromecast, good choice.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I bought a Chromecast and used it 2-3 times. It's neat but I have no real need for it. Honestly I don't even know where it is in my house since I haven't used it in maybe 10 months. I use the Roku (2XS) box just about every day though.

But like others have said, those are two different types of products.

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Fire Stick is ok for what it is: a Netflix/Amazon/Hulu portal that heavily emphasizes Prime content. I bought it for $19 and it was a great addition to my small bedroom TV.

A couple of gripes: it doesn't have HBO Go yet (same as my PS4, which is my main media player) and the NBA Game Time interface is awful (for those of you with League Pass). I don't know why the latter has so many different UX dashboards across devices, it seems like a lazy product offering.