1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Silas 2.0

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Oct 21, 2022.

1. i3artow i3aller

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I completely understand and acknowledge that he came into a difficult situation. I'm not as focused on W/L as maybe I came across earlier, but I'm struggling to see any encouraging signs over the last few years that are attributed to him. It just doesn't seem like the players respect him. We have multiple instances of things like Jabari yelling at Sengun, Christopher mocking him, KPJ pouting blatantly. These things shouldn't be allowed to happen, in my opinion. There's just no accountability.

Can you point me to a source on this? That's very interesting. To me it seems like we are taking way too many tough midrange jumpers, especially KPJ and Green. Our offense is brutal to watch.

That's a fair point I'll admit. We are no doubt trying to win next year since we don't control our pick. I'm just very worried about players continuing their bad habits and not being held accountable any longer.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If he had veteran stars on his team and he underachieved, he would have been sacked in his second year, latest in his third year.

It's a difficult situation but rebuilding in a loose environment like Houston actually extended his coaching gig.

Alexander was letting go of vets like JVG and Adelman.

You could be of different opinion but I am sure of it.

5. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Silas now crying about a report on him crying is absurd. Stop crying, get a new job and quit lying about players liking you. KJ Martin and his dad called you out, John Wall called you and the entire org out, your scrub bench player clowned you in front of everyone. Plenty of NBA players and Ex NBA players have said he has lost the locker room a long time ago. If you are not good at something, admit it and take responsibility. Tired of this franchise blatantly lying to fans. We were told by Stone that incremental improvement in the form of Wins will happen this season, and people will be held responsible. This was said in exit interviews last year. Silas has had the least amount of pressure of maybe any pro sports head coach ever, and has still failed in record breaking fashion.

If you ask any ex player what they think about him as a head coach, it won't be good. Players who left, threw a ton of shade before they left. Not one single player has mentioned Silas in a positive way (as HC) unprompted, not one. The only time they say anything positive about him is when people are pointing out his obvious faults and they have to come to his defense because their agents trained them to respond this way to come across as professional.

#1405 BallSoHarden, Mar 29, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Looking back in hindsight I'm not sure this makes any sense anymore.

Part of why Harden/WB asked out was because they hired Silas instead of Lue or keeping D'Antoni, so it's not like the Rockets got an obvious green light from their stars to hire him. Also, if the stars were the reason Silas wanted job, he did not do the behind the scenes work to make sure Harden/WB would stick around and wanted him here. Whether that was selling them on the idea or even just touching base with them.

On top of that, the reason why some people thought it may work was because of what Silas stint with Dallas/Luka or his prior assistant coaching stints with Steph/Warrior and Bron/Cleveland. But after 3 years, we have seen zero imagination, creativity, or player progression on offense at all. Luka basically ran what Harden was already running here with D'Antoni and still runs that kind of offense now. Rockets don't ever try to run anything the Warriors run. Lebron runs his own offense that Silas was never going to be able to recreate with someone not Lebron.

So what new thing/scheme/philosophy/whatnot was Silas supposed to bring to that Harden/WB Rocket's team to get them over the hump? That 6 game winning streak before ASB after Harden was traded? There wasn't anything that great in that stretch from a coaching or scheming standpoint.

You can't even say, tough-nosed, gritty, defense style like say a poor-man's Thibodeau because we have seen zero evidence of kind of team under Silas tenure.

Plus there is a difference between tanking and having the worst 3 year record in the history of the NBA. Other teams/franchises have tanked, or just been completely incompetent. Other owners have decided to spend zilch on good players to field a reasonable team.

If it was that much of a double-switch by the FO/Stone, the rest of league would have probably understood if Silas resigned after 1 or even 2 seasons. Especially, if he was that pissed at the FO for giving him a team he thought undercut his chances to win.

I mean the NFL had a whole investigation and scandal from the Dolphins because of the Flores situation yet Flores is still in the NFL and probably will get another chance in a few years.

Some of this blame definitely falls on Stone/Tilman/FO, but we don't have the exact details of the whole arrangement to know that split fault/blame. But basically, Silas does not just get a some pass for the team he has coached for the past 3 seasons.

BallSoHarden and Aruba77 like this.
  7. Risingred

Risingred Member

It has been three years. I hope this thread would be retired in a good way.

daywalker02, DreamShook and ashleyem like this.
  8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Look, I really want to give him more of a chance, but when he comes out and says he never runs plays for the #3 overall pick, it's really hard.

DreamShook and ashleyem like this.
  9. clos4life

clos4life Member

Your problem is that you want to give him more of a chance. The dude has got to go.

PWR, daywalker02 and groovemachine like this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

At this point the issue isn't if Silas has the knowledge or expertise on how to run a offense or defense.

The issue here is it's blatantly clear that Silas doesn't have the demeanor, charisma etc to put a bunch of 19-22 year old athletes who have been treated as "alphas" their entire lives before joining the NBA in their place and make them fall in line.

You can't have a secondary assistant coach be that guy(Lucas and Hollins). That has to be coming from your head coach.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Ha, well I don't that much and got **** on earlier in this thread for suggesting someone else.

Good point and I agree that it's another reason why we should make a change. This has been an issue his entire tenure here with no improvement in that respect.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Yeah, that was a blatant lie.
    Coach only cries for his lover.

13. bmelo

bmelo Member

silas should just tweet '**** brian' and he would have all labels off him in 5 seconds

14. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

But he can't.:(
    [​IMG]

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Wow. doesn't he see how bad comments like these make him look...

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Coaching off no plan, getting at the sideline.

Throwing players under the bus in pressers, making his comments.

HardenReturns likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Not sure what thread is best for this, but...

Sort of as an aside, Bill Simmons mentioned on his pod that the rumors are that Nurse is definitely going to Houston, and that Houston is going to completely clear house. Not sure if that includes Stone or what.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I like the idea of cleaning house. I know folks will say that 3 years isn’t enough of a fair shake for Stone, but he’s been poor in a lot of important areas as GM. Player development and organizational culture are poor. The area he gets good marks for is finding young talent, which is as much a group effort as anything else. But he has to own the coaching, the player personnel decisions, the organizational reputation and culture. We are talking about being historically bad for 3 yrs with no real sign of moving in the right direction. If u are looking for a clean slate to start competing, it makes sense to clean house, including the GM. In fact, it might even be an advantage to have a new GM look at our talent through new eyes and make some objective decisions.

Little Bit and snowconeman22 like this.
  20. a time to chill

I'm not saying Silas is the perfect head coach, but this offseason is too early to get a new coach IMO. If Silas had disappointed with a more complete team with Harden and Westbrook, then he should be let go. But he had to deal with a rebuild and had the responsibility of developing a bunch of first and second-year players. If the players respect Silas as a coach, then the right move is to keep him one more year to give him an opportunity to show what he can do with a better team and where the expectation is to win.

We really don't lose anything by letting Silas show how well he can coach a more complete team next year. We will still be very early in our rebuild. Even if we draft Wemby, he's going to need at least 2 years to develop as well. There are always going to be quality coaches in the candidate pool we can get at any time

Fans need to show more patience. It was unrealistic to think we would win anywhere close to 30 games by largely bringing back last year's roster. There are several games we could've won this year that were lost in clutch situations that a more complete roster would've won (e.g. the disaster in Miami, EG fouling that Kings shooter). There's a rebuilding plan in place and hastily abandoning right now could potentially do more damage to the rebuild than showing patience by waiting to see how things play out next year with a more improved roster.

With a new coach people will be looking for a new scapegoat and that's going to be Stone. If Stone's fired our rebuild is going to need a rebuild. This thing with Silas and Stone could still work...just need to give it more time.