1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Silas 2.0

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Oct 21, 2022.

1. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Can’t agree more.

2. LukaMVP

LukaMVP Member

I guess the logic of the front office is that if the young players are developed rapidly and become star players in a couple of years, then it'd cost a hell lot of money to re-sign them when their rookie contracts expire. If the Rockets get Wemb next summer I bet a good coach will come in town to replace him. Just don't let the kids jack up stats and inflate their values, so their will be retained for reasonable prices and then you will have a solid support cast around Wemb or some other franchise player. Rockets have some solid young players but I doubt anyone of them has shown signs of being Doncic or Morant caliber. Next year's draft will be stacked and the Rockets are doing a good job currently tanking for a higher pick.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One thing really stands out looking at our players compared to our ex players. Rebounds and Assists have dropped dramatically. I guess you get what you pay for.

2022/2023

MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL TO PTS

Harden
    36.8 44.1 33.3 92.9 7.0 10.0 0.7 1.1 2.9 22.0

Westbrook
    29.4 40.4 32.7 80.0 5.5 7.5 0.4 1.1 3.8 15.8

Gordon
    30.6 44.2 33.8 87.2 2.3 2.9 0.5 0.9 1.9 12.9

Green
    34.3 41.9 35.8 80.0 4.4 3.4 0.3 0.8 3.1 21.3

Porter
    34.9 41.0 33.8 73.3 6.1 5.8 0.5 1.3 4.1 18.1

KJ Martin JR
    25.2 53.1 32.7 65.7 4.9 1.5 0.6 0.4 1.3 11.0

MIN RB AST BLK PTS

Capella
    26.7 11.6 0.7 1.4 11.1

Senguin
    26.5 8.6 2.0 1.1 16.5

Fernando
    18.5 6.5 4.5 1.0 5.5

Garuba
    16.0 5.6 1.2 0.8 4.4

5. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

I don't mind losing, I just want see some fight in this team. And the most important is to see growth and development.

6. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

I still remember, before last Christmas i made a wish - 'let siliass gone', this Christmas no exception, but i hope i won't repeat this yr after yr, cuz it's as BORING as how we lose games now (we got chances to win actually).
    Stone, ya hear me!????

ashleyem likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Carpe82

Carpe82 Member

I bet this guy is under 20

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’ll give him till the allstar break, but he better start packing his bags. This is a bullsh#t product and Houston deserves better. If you can’t demonstrate some level of progress in 3 years, I’m sorry, you’re not a good enough coach.

All I hear is excuses:
    Year 1 it was Harden left and injuries
    Year 2 it was youth and inexperience
    Year 3….we’ll see
    For the love of God, no Year 4 if we don’t make progress in year 3.

not asking to be playoff caliber yet; just asking for a sign of progress. It’s not too much to ask.

#509 Aruba77, Nov 19, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    AroundTheWorld and slothy420 like this.
  10. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

If we can’t demonstrate some measure of progress in 3 years the blowhards may be onto something ;). Lol

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I was going to make a thread on that very topic because of all the complaints that "I don't see growth" .... but what's the point, the loud mouths direct the narrative ....

That's just untrue, if you can't see growth among these kids, you probably aren't watching the games and are just looking at box scores complaining.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You take out a very good finisher in Wood - that is what you get.

DD

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ton-Rockets-Stephen-Silas-future-17597743.php

“I actually feel good, as strange as it sounds for us to have the record that we have,” said Silas, after a morning shootaround and before his team’s winning percentage fell to .188. “People who have been watching the games have seen how our team plays. We’re a hard-playing team. We’re young. We’re exciting. We’re hard to play against. We make mistakes. We had a really tough schedule to begin the season. We have two rookies that we’re playing and five second-year players that are in our rotation. So I actually feel good about where we are.”

“I’ve been around the NBA for a long, long time,” said Silas, wearing a Rockets sweatshirt while sitting in an office decorated with writing all over the walls. “I was with LeBron (James) in his first year and I was with Steph in his first year and I was with Luka (Dončić) in his first year, and things were uneven and hard, but you have to go through it. I am more than prepared to go through it and will be happy to see the results of it.”

“This year it’s really been we’ve got to be hard to play — we have to be,” Silas said. “If we’re not, I should be held accountable to it and I’m not afraid of that at all.”

Does Silas feel a clock ticking within the Rockets’ organization?

“For sure. I do. I feel like there’s a clock ticking,” he said. “I feel like we still need to improve. I feel pressure to make sure that our team is improving and playing the right way. And the nature of being an NBA coach is that — it’s wins and losses at the end of the day.”

Dealing with all the losing is still a daily challenge for the 49-year-old Silas, who is highly experienced in the NBA but still young as a head coach.

“I owe it to the players to take the losses hard,” he said. “We’re in a rebuild. But on a day-to-day basis, I’m preparing for our team to win. And I’m preparing for us to have winning habits and all the stuff that we’ll need to be as good as we’re going to be once we have a little bit more experience.”

Silas wants to see the other side of 3-13 and this long rebuild.

He keeps coaching for the light and believing that experience, even when it’s this painful, is the best teacher in life.

“We’ve set this thing up for our future success, right? And it’s been difficult, for sure,” Silas said. “We’ve all had our hands in digging this tunnel to success, whether it’s Rafael or Tilman and Patrick (Fertitta) or myself. And we want to get through this tunnel.”

TimDuncanDonaut and Os Trigonum like this.
  15. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Are you telling me that these players are being utilized properly? I watch every game...

For example yesterday's game.

You approved with EG's decision to simply not pass the ball?

Jalen is 20 years old. Why did he sit on the sidelines for so long?
    In the second and fourth quarters of every game, he is always substituted in at the 7 to 6 minute mark. There are instances when we simply go straight iso KPJ for numerous consecutive possessions, and Jalen is just in the corner. Silas doesn't comprehend flow; if you haven't touched the ball in a while or have been sitting on the bench for a while, it might be difficult to get back into a flow.

Has Sengun recently been replaced in the finalmoments of a game?

And JC isn't even able to crack the rotation? if we aren't going to play him more than 10 min why isn't he down in the G League?

I don't know what you're seeing. You're a joke, for defending this man. I know with a great coach we would be be better than where we are at the moment.

The list goes on with Silas...

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahahha look at this cunning fox turning our attention to our record when nobody has nothing against the record but against every other things hes done and not done...

AroundTheWorld and clutchdabear like this.
  18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I've supported Silas, but here's my problem, he's not consistent. If you want to develop players, then Sengun and Garuba needs to pay more, along with Tari.

If it's about development cut back EGs time. KPJ haven't shown enough to get the playing time he has.

It's ok to lose,l while developing, but have a consistently applied strategy

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol dude you lost me on cut back... why not sit him for the season..bad teams stay bad for decades for a reason...why waste valuable resources?