1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

FIRE RUDY T!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocket113, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

There was a leap in your 'logic'...never mind.

2. c2u4erm

c2u4erm Member

you have got to be kidding me, over-achieving? this team should be a heck of a lot better than they are. This team only went to the lottery last year because they had the most injuries i have ever seen at one time on a team in my life. This team now could/should be a lot better and would be if they would stop playing the stupid game of one on one and then taking the first ridiculous shot they can find. i mean come on i think in mobleys mind when the ball is being passed to him is where am i gonna shoot from? once this rockets team learns how to share the ball they will be good that is if they ever learn. They win a big game with good ball movement and say they understand and then go back to the same old crap. no way is this an over achieving team if anything its an under-achieving one which is very irritating :mad:

3. Dani

Dani Member

RUDY, you can go now of this team. You never will win your third ring with Houston, you should assume it.
    Rudy must be fired now! He can´t coach at this team. The rocks players needs a tough coach , with RT they do that they likes.
    The team have a lot of talent. How many teams have a PG SG and a Center that all these would can be all-stars?
    Any team have that combo Stevie-ming, a guard and a center already superstars. That could be one of the better duos of the league. Bryant-O´neal, Walker-Pierce and our duo. Well, now look what are these teams. A dinasty, and a conference finalist. But the best of all is that: Lakers and Celtics don´t have players like Cuttino, taylor, Griffin, the bench is so much worst than the rockets bench. Rudy have the most talented team with the kings and dallas, but Houston is at lightyears of that teams. And the rocks are already on his fourth year together, so that can´t be a excuse. The only excuse that rockets have is they have a coach that can´t resolve the problem of the team. A problem that he had caused.
    You imagine for a moment this team coached by any other coach. Inclusive John Lucas could does it better, i´m sure. Also with Van Gandy Kruger, Dunleavy and sidney Lowe(might the best of all).

Bah, I know Rudy won´t be fired NEVER (it looks that if you have won 2 rings you can do anything).

----------------------
    Sorry if you can´t understand something, I don´t speak english.

Gasol must be All-star!!!! Aupa Pau, y Raul

4. tslee98

tslee98 Contributing Member

The problem is that the Rockets are fighting to hold onto a playoff spot, but their best chance of making it this year and the next several years is to change their system. It's going to take several steps backward before the Rockets can really develop into a team that will contend seriously, but because of the pressure on this team to succeed now, that's not going to happen this year.

[1] The Rockets cannot base their offense on Yao Ming (not yet, at least). Yao is not physically prepared for that challenge. You can't base an offense where the central piece is something that's going to disappear during the stretch.

When Yao finally gets a break from basketball, hopefully he'll use that time to recharge instead of to film more lame commercials and be better prepared for the physical demands. Until then, the offense cannot run through him. That does not mean that he can't be a part of the offense or that they can't begin to develop an offense. Both should be done.

[2] Because Yao is a player on the verge, Tomjanovich is too content to wait to develop an effective offensive system. What incentive is there to develop an offense that will be tossed out when Yao is rested and ready to go next year. Hopefully the incentive of keeping your job.

But maybe I'm being naive here. Maybe Tomjanovich just can't come up with an effective system for his players. Maybe his best strategy is to pick the players to fit his system (the one that won 2 championships). Probably is that that old system would lose today because of rule changes, particularly zone defenses.

[3] The other big problem for the Rockets is that there are too many young, talented, unproven players so no one knows where they fit and the coaches are not giving them that answer, either. Until that happens or until some players take charge and lead, the Rockets will continue to look like a bunch of ballers at a gym looking to catch some pick-up games. That didn't work for Team USA in the World Basketball Championships last summer, and it sure won't work in the NBA.

5. hrocket

hrocket Member

Rudy T. is too much of a players coach that he cannot publicly or even privately criticise his players. In effect tehy feel they can do whatever they ewant on the court regardless of the game plan knowing that in the end, the coach will still defend them.

Here's what's wrong with the rockets:
    Wrong system for a wrong team.
    Too much talent on the gurad position.
    Believe it or not deep down, francis and mobley are jealous of the hype and atention that their rookie center are getting. That's why no mater how many times people say to pass inside to Yao first, they intend to shoot instead.

Suggestion: Trade mobley for Payton. Payton might be okld but still he got at least 4 good years left in him. Then move Francis to the 2 guard. Trade Mo Taylor for R. Horry to get rid of his fat contract. If these does not work, then they should be thinking of getting a new coach.

6. cagey veteran

cagey veteran Member

I have an enormous amount of respect for Rudy T. and think he is an excellent coach, but I believe he is better with veteran players than trying to motivate this young team we have now and teach them the will to win. I think Rudy T. deserves a chance to stick around, but as Tulsa RocketFan and some others may have said, we need veteran leadership on the floor.
    We need to add some new pieces to the equation. I think a lot of the Rockets are pretty close friends and reluctant to light a fire under each others asses. We need Mario Elie type players, not necessarily the best player in the league but with an intense desire to win and not afraid to critisize teammates when they are not hustling. This team is inconsistent, makes a lot of bad decisions, makes too many bad passes, with sloppy ball handling.
    I would definitely be in favor of getting Sam Cassell or Gary Payton as others have said. We need players with the scrappiness of Dennis Rodman but without the mental problems. The Rocket players need to have a winning attitude first, and be friends secondly.
    This is Steve Francis' team, but he still needs some guidance to know how to win. Let's get some cagey veterans to teach this team how to win and take the young talent under their wing. Glen Rice is an excellent player at his best, but he is chronically injured, not enough of a leader, but the only guy who has been around the league for any length of time, and therefor e not enough.
    Does anybody have any ideas about which veterans we could add to the mix would help out, and who might be free agent material soon, or could fit in salary wise? Possible trades?
    I agree, if they are not going to change the roster and get some veteran leadership, then Rudy T. has got to go. He just doesn't seem to be able to motivate this team to play at a higher level by himself. And they need to work on the basic fundamentals of the game and figure out a way to give Yao some more touches and work on his offensive moves. This team has a lot of talent but no burning desire to win, and something needs to change if they are going to get better.

GO ROCKETS Let's give Rudy some more time.

7. montelwilliams

Matt Bullard should be head coach. He is younger, fresher, smarter than Rudy, and he knows what he's doing.

8. KingDaddy

KingDaddy Member

Dude, my mom could do a better job of coaching than Rudy. I bet she could even hit a god #@#$% open shot as well.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Screw having to fire this fool. If the man had any honor and half a testicle he would just resign on his own by now.

10. cagey veteran

cagey veteran Member

Where did that come from? Does Bullard have any experience? I don't think he is any smarter or capable than Rudy T., but he might provide a youthful enthusiasm and fresh perspective that Rudy T. may lack. What is Scotty Brooks doing these days, maybe he should coach? Some of you must think that coaching in the NBA is a piece of cake, but in reality, not many people are qualified for it or could do it successfully. If not Rudy T., then who?

11. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

Has anyone contemplated some 'FIRE RUDY' chants at games?

That would be music to my ears. Let's make it happen.

Maybe it would give Rudy a clue to get his f*uckin act together, or straight up resign.

He's a joke. As a fan, I hate the guy right now.

12. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

I think Rudy has turned r****ded. He used to be considered as one of the best basketball coaches in the world. Now he is the Forest Gump of the NBA. I really hope the Rockets suck for the rest of the year so just that Rudy can get his ass fired.

He has just been here too long and needs a change of scenery. Sort of like that science teacher you had in high school who had the messed up hair and had been teaching the same class for 20 years.

13. cagey veteran

cagey veteran Member

Bite your tongue RocketKid. Whether or not he is the best coach for the Rockets right now, he coached the Rockets to the only major professional sports championship this city has known (discounting girly-ball) and is a humble person and an all-around class act. He deserves more respect than that.

14. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

cagey veteran -

You have GOT to be kidding me!!! Rudy is getting paid LOTS of fricking money to do ONE THING - WIN!!!! :mad: :mad:

He can't even get his team to show up in the second half of a nationally televised game they had the lead in!!! :mad: :mad:

I am sick and tired of all the Rudy apologists saying that he doesn't shoot, or rebound, or play defense, yada, yada, yada...

Who fricking cares about that crap? NOBODY!!

A coach is supposed to TEACH his team...

and LEAD his team...

Rudy cannot teach what he does not know!!!!

And if ANYONE calls what he is providing "leadership" then you clearly do not understand the concept!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Rudy has got to go if we are going to have a chance to make the playoffs, because as of now, with his dumbass moves and dumbass players that he defends and praises after losses like this, we are NO LONGER in playoff contention!!!!

I said over a week ago that I feared we were in the middle of a 3-10 slide that would effectively put us out of the playoffs. Well, unless we win the next two games (and I am willing to bet BIG that we don't), then we will have done exactly that!!!

It's time for Rudy to go and for CD to bring in somebody, other than Steve, that can actually shoot the ball better than 40% from the perimeter!!! :mad: :mad:

15. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

PS:

For all those idiots who laughed off the Rashard Lewis flirtation last summer, how much would we like to have "Shard"about now?

Shoot, I'd love to have Kenny Thomas back!! At least we would have somebody beside Yao to provide offense inside the paint!! :mad: :mad:

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Rudy's days as our head coach are numbered. The whole nation saw our meltdown in front of a home crowd tonight. The Houston Chronicle wrote a column on it. Sportscenter has taken notice of the poorly executed game plan. ESPN.com has as well.

If a Houston Rockets team with two all stars cannot make the playoffs, then something is definitely wrong. This team has ZERO heart, and it showed tonight. It showed last Saturday against Detroit, and then again at Chicago.

Mark it down: if the Rockets are not in the playoffs this season, Rudy Tomjanovich will be removed.

17. cagey veteran

cagey veteran Member

Rockets-R-Us,

I didn't say I think Rudy T. is doing a very good coaching job right now, I don't. Maybe he is not connecting with this group of players, or is possibly burned out. He has had this job a long time. We're you even here during the championship years? I'm not trying to relive old glory or anything stupid like that, but the man is a local hero and to start a chant of "Fire Rudy!" in the middle of a ROCKETS game would be extremely inappropriate and just plain wrong. I wouldn't try it, though. You're liable to get your ass kicked. Believe it.

18. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

:confused:

Is that suppose to be some kind of prediction? People have been saying that since the beginning of the season.

19. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

As fans, we have every right to send a clear message to the players/coaching staff - they are disgraceful. Now I'm not saying we have the right to be complete asses, but chanting 'fire rudy' will send a CLEAR message to Rudy what we, as fans, are feeling right now. He's not getting the message. He doesn't learn. It's frustrating. Not taking anything away from his championships, but he deserves it for the past 2 seasons of crap coaching.

20. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

So the logic is - if the team or coach aren't playing to ones expectation level, one has the right to be disgracefully and openly rude?

I'm with cagey veteran & baqui99 on this one. Let the cards play themselves out. Anything you yell during a game well have absolutely no impact on reality...and you'll look foolish.

If (probably when after tonight) we don't make the playoffs, RT will graciously resign. Rockets management owes him that much respect. You should, too.