1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Seriously... it's not even close. I really like Scola, but the Rockets needed a big man like this. They lose their two worst defenders and their two best offensive players. I really like the deal IF Morey uses it as a part to the whole. Fire Morey, my ass. Give me a break.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Oh my...this all over again. You guys are acting like astros fans when they were moved to the AL...automatically giving up on the team. Either you're a fan or not! True fans wouldnt give up on a trade just because of a single trade. No one knows what moreys plan is....give him some time, lets see what he has in store. Morey has been praised for all his other trades, alston for lowry, landry for martin, that guy spon....whatever....for scola and then he does this one trade, in which he finally gets an allstar starter and now he absolutely sucks and should be fired? That's pretty sad if you ask me...

3. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

You realize the Lakers gave up the 6th man of the year and a top 3 PF for Chris Paul right? It's not like the Lakers got CP3 for peanuts.

4. thekad

thekad Member

I don't think they thought he would turn those things into Chris Paul and then trade him for Pau Gasol.

5. Mr. Space City

he's a genius for making other teams around him much better while his team remains mediocre

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Unless this trade leads the Lakers to another deal landing them Howard they arent better .....

They have Bynum who cant stay healthy.

They lose both Odom and Gasol in the deal .... depleting their front court.

Any deal for Howard and they most likely throw in Bynum .... another three star team with no depth.

7. jank1434

How realistic of a chance did Houston have to get Chris Paul though? Now Morey can have the time to focus on Dwight Howard. Thabeet, Bud, Lee, Twill, Morris, Lowry, Patterson for Dwight :rolleyes:

8. nodstonothing

nodstonothing Member

I'm not saying it's a good trade, but wow are Martin and Scola overrated on this board. There is more to basketball then your PPG average. Martin and Scola were two of the worst defensive players in the league. You can't just turn a roster full of marginal players into a contending team, it takes baby steps. At least now we have a true elite player and more cap space. I've been critical of Morey but at some point, you have to do something to shake things up and land a true difference-making player and he has done that.

9. nodstonothing

nodstonothing Member

How did Morey GIVE the Lakers Chris Paul? They gave up an all-star big man in Paul Gasol and the sixth man of the year in Odom, both of whom have rings. Get real.

New Orleans did pretty well in this, but the Lakers got who they wanted and we got what we wanted (an all-star). You have to give something to get something.

10. thekad

thekad Member

In essence, they just traded for him, then flipped him to the Lakers. All the pieces going to the Hornets are from the Rockets - except Lamar's bad contract. Hell, Morey, being the nice guy that he is, might just take that off New Orleans' hands.

11. nodstonothing

nodstonothing Member

According to ESPN, Hornets were not interested in the deal until the Lakers agreed to put Odom in it, without him they didn't want the Rockets players.

12. jank1434

Thank you. I still do not understand the belief that Houston traded CP3 for Pau Gasol. I have no idea where that is coming from.

13. thekad

thekad Member

You're probably right. 32 year old Lamar Odom was definitely the linchpin of the deal.

14. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

6th man of the year Lamar Odom? He's obviously worthless :rolleyes:

15. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

The deal is not officially done yet. It might switch up a player or two. Hopefully the Rockets can just trade someone else like Chase Bud instead of Kmart. Man with Gasol, The Rockets would really need a guy like Kmart playing on the perimeter.

I felt like the Rockets gave up two very good players for Gasol who isn't as good as he used to be. I felt like the Rockets got the worst end of the deal as always. Even though its Gasol and he's a 7 footer, I just think we gave up too much for that. I thought the Rockets are in rebuilding mode. Gasol isn't young and he's not going to make this team any better than they were last year.

Unless The Rockets can pull off another trade for a star player to go along with Gasol but if not, this trade is a completely FAIL.

If this trade was a few years back, then it would be a great trade. But right now, Gasol isn't going to get this team that many wins. Scola and Martin together are much more of a threat than Gasol alone. Im just speechless.

16. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

Something needed to give. Obviously its not fun to tank but its the best option in the long run. Morey is one of the top GMs in basketball firing him would be a awful idea. If you want mediocrity for the next 10 years fire Morey.

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

Overrated GM. We will see what he has in store though.

The plan can't be to buid around Pau Gasol

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

The Rockets have become like a grocery store, assets going in and out on a daily basis. So far, the store hasn't really made a profit. The analogy someone used in the Texans thread about "nuts being on the dresser" (and I have no idea what that means) in some strange way applies to Morey. If he doesn't come up with a "keeper" lineup pretty soon, he, the dresser, and his nuts will be out the door.

19. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

TBH, I really don't know if I can agree with that. I'm of the belief that if you have a chance at a top 10 player, you absolutely go out and get him. Yes, we did give up a lot, and time will tell if we gave up too much. Nevertheless, we're a fringe playoff team with Scola and Martin, and that's the worse place to be in the NBA. Right now, we've set ourselves up with ample cap space which we didn't have before the trade to get better either with Nene or possibly Dwight Howard and D-Will next season as much of a longshot that is.

Sure, if you look at the aggregate point differential in Scola and Martin vs Gasol, it looks bad. Going beyond that though, Scola and Martin were never dominant scorers--they needed to get their points within the flow of the offense, and when defenses crunch down in the 4th quarter and when whistles are being swallowed, our offense looked stagnant. Gasol is a player who you can dump the ball to and let him do work. He's a player that commands double teams and forces defenses to adjust--thereby making his teammates better. And hopefully Morey has more up his sleeve, using the freed up cap space to get someone to pair with Gasol. If that happens then I think we can agree that this trade was a win. Right now, it is 50/50.

20. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

If you think you are a better GM, why don't you apply for that position? :rolleyes: