1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. superpro

superpro Member

Cannot believe our Jeff Crew can get mad and express his opinion this strong too. But well done, Jeff.

Your valuable opinion and deep understanding of the game will help to creat a clean and reasonalbe board. It also will improve the BB IQ of some extreme fans on this board.

Eventually, I hope your role can send away some name-calling fans here. Next time, when someone calls another "Yao-only" fan, please make sure they include you too. I am surprised you were not named "yao-only" fan this time.

Keep it up, man.

2. tothomas

tothomas Member

My 2c on the some general points made on this post.

"Mobley makes stupid plays."

Agree, what can you say about some of his shot selections. I still think I saw just as poor from Vernon Maxwell, though.

"Trade Mobley"

Arguable, I say there is not a better guard at his price, but I others make valid arguments for it.

"Fire Mobley."

Stupid

Take Mobley out of every game this season and we have a losing record. I say take him out instead of replace him with player X, because this thread says fire. Just throw the positives he brings out because he makes dumb plays.

"Mobley is a six(?) year veteran and shouldn't make these plays anymore."

Don't agree with this totally.

He has that much experience in which kind of offense? Neither Mobley or Francis have had more than one year in the same offense. Injuries, and personel changes have left the Rockets revamping their offense every year. Now a coaching change has it happening one more time. In that time period Mobley developed many bad habits. To expect him to suddenly change overnight is unfair as long as his upside out weighs his downside. I do not think that at this point in the season anyone can make a case that Mobley’s downside is greater than his upside. He is still a major positive for this team because of scoring, defense, and hustle. The Coach controls when Mobley’s on the floor. If the JVG can get someone smarter to put in at critical times, he will. Right now it appears, in JVG’s, mind Mobley is still the guy he wants there.

Just as an aside, I thought Speedy Claxton’s wild shot in the last minute trumped much of what Mobley did wrong.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Look, I concede that he is stupid and makes dumb plays and made especially dumb ones last night.

But crucify him for those. Don't split hairs about when Yao passes up shots and decides to throw it back out for him despite being on a hot streak and single covered (it was to the last set play we ran, Van Gundy said throw it to Yao; Mobley did just that), or for when he fought for a board and fouled the worst free throw shooting guy on the team, especially if it worked out for us. . Maybe if he'd fouled Vince Carter down the strecth we would be 9-2 and not 8-3.

Plus, give credit where credit is due. He stepped up and hit a huge shot in the clutch. He was the only guy to show up on Monday night vs. Philly. He has stifled Jason Richardson, Allen Iverson and Vince Carter in consecutive games.

You take the good with the bad. But you guys just take the bad. That would be more acceptable if we were 3-8. We're 8-3.

4. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

This is reasonable:
    This is not:
    You never ever give away points.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lol, you just registered, so I guess you don't know. But, Cat-bashing has been the national pastime of this BBS for years now. Your 3 years of bashing makes you about as original as this thread.

6. superpro

superpro Member

Michecon, very well said. Couldn't say it better.

BTW, did you catch the moment that Mobley stared at Yao and shouted something for giving him a hard pass, which leaded a turn-over in the previous game. WTF, if I were Yao, I would just walk over to him and tell him shut-TFU. This b**** has made numourous mistakes in his career while he could not bear a bad pass from Yao. Whom the hell does he think he is?

Fisher is the most disliked player on the Lakers team,which is the major reason that I cheered for every team to beat Lakers, though I live in L.A. And I don't think he is making more money than this b****.

But I would take Fisher for this b**** in a heartbeat.

Want to hear your take on this.

7. superpro

superpro Member

Again, not that I want to start a fight with you, but I see this differenly from you.

I don't think Fisher on the Lakers' team make more than Cat does. Let's just play the virtual GM. Let's replace Cat with Fisher. Are we better or not?

I would say we are a better team. Fisher has a better shot selection and is willing to pass and probably a higher percentage shooter. Further, he is a faker. He is very good at defending fastbreak teams, which is badly needed by Houston now.

Oh, BTW, Fisher is the least liked player of mine on the Lakers team. But I would like him a lot if he is on our team.

What's you take on this?

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hmmmm, I didn't feel like the foul was the mistake. It was what took place that led up to him committing the foul that was the mistake. If I had to take my chances, I'd rather he foul and put a 50% free throw shooter with horrible form on the line than to go down and let CR or Dunleavy throw up a beautiful looking 3 point shot.

The problem was what led to the foul, a bad shot, in traffic, with a 7 footer in his face when he had the perfect opportunity to drop it back down to a wide open Yao who had just threw him the ball and whom he had to intentionally be looking the other way to miss Yao rolling into the lane with the defender on his back.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The disconnect is Yao was looking for the ball back after getting better position. Yao is unselfish. Give him back the rock and look for him. That was the play. Not some wild dribble drive against 3 defenders and trying to shoot over a 7 footer.

10. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Wah! Wah! Wah! A bunch of freakin' whiners on this board. Yes Mobley screwed up in the game and so did half the other players on the team. Every single player on the Rocks has taken bad shots this year.

There would be a very valid complaint here if Mobley's shooting percentage was weak ... But it's not ... He's done a great job THIS YEAR.

Quit your crying ... The Rocks won ... If they start losing because Mobley is taking wild shots and not giving it to Yao when he should, things WILL change. I think the Rockets did a great job for the most part of getting the ball to Yao late yesterday when he was hot, and yes it could have gone to him more but the mistakes that Mobley makes comes with the good that he brings.

He has more bang for the buck than most guards in this league .. I agree that he could be better and that he could make better decisions but that doesnt mean he is a terrible player like many here act like.

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mobley is an excellent shooting guard. maybe we judge him on the shot selection because it's a shot most in here think is difficult but plays right into the hand of mobley. maybe he is better on the run ala reggie miller. who knows. mobley is getting the job done and when the game is on the line that ball goes into his hands...after Francis. As for looking at Ming on that one play and not passing it to him...he was trying to read the defense and maybe he saw something we didn't. when you are on that court the game is so fast you have to react accordingly. Mobley's effort and defense and that huge 3 point shot earns him a B+...way to go Mobes!

12. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

I find a larger than expected 12-year-old crowd. I lose my appetite arguing.

13. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Here is the question:

Can Cuttino Mobley get "fired" when he is under contract? I thought that only happened in the business world.

Here is another question:

Can we think of anything better to post about when a player has a bad game other than bashing him in all caps?

14. haven

haven Member

He also saw something that his coach didn't. And that his coach was angry enough about to mention afterwards.

You really want to argue that Mobley doesn't ignore Yao?

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

London I respect your opinion.....wait no I dont......Please think before you post. Mobley is human and can screw up just as much as anyone else. All these stupid posts are making me sick. Think positive for once! 8-3!

16. tannersearle78

As much as I rip on Cat, it's all in good fun.

In all seriosness, Cat is very valuable to the Rockets. One or two mistakes, or one or two bad games, will never ever diminish that fact.

He's playing far better than what he's currently getting paid, so we should be grateful that he's so intent on staying with the Rockets.

Lastly, Cat's flaws aren't so egregious that they're incurable. He's a very workable player, and Van Gundy will continue to work on him.

We need him, so let's not forget that and take it for granted.

IF we should trade anyone, it should be Moochie, but the only thing other teams will trade him for is a bag of old basketballs.

17. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

London
    Preach on. You and I share similar if not exact sentiments on how the game should be played - win or lose. The only problem was that your initial post may have detracted from your solid message. I would enjoy to talk to people like you and go watch games together because you 'get it'.

It is a shame that many folks around here are very myopic - seeing things as either black 'oder' white. Chronic simpletons is what I call them. Don'r change your mentallity because of anyone - just attempt to communicate your on-point takes with more resolve. I know how you felt when you posted your original thread so I understand your pain.

I am confident in JVG and his staff that they will weed out the 'weeds' and pockets of resistance in this lovely team. It is only a matter of time - you are either 100% on board with the philosophy or you are out.

Rock on. :)

18. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

OK, let's look at your argument. Namely that if Cat makes 50% of his shot and JJ makes only makes 37%. OK, so let's assume that any particular game Cat shots 10 - 20 for 20 points (and I don't think I need to point out that he doesn't average 20 PPG therefore I am being fair), he takes 5 to 6 boneheaded shots which gives the other team up to 12 points. So really his +/-, if you will, is around 10. JJ makes 37% of his shots so let's assume he takes the same number (20 shots) making 37% of them for 14.8 PPG on average. He average let's say 1 to 2 boneheaded shots a game for an opponents' 4 points. He therefore averages a +/- of (trumpets)... 10.8 PPG. So you tell me which one you would take.

I won't even go into how JJ hasn't cost us a game by shooting a stupid shot during crunch time, or how Cat doesn't average 50% over the season, or how JJ is a much better defender, or how he makes measely 1.5 mil (which is one of the key arguments Cat lovers like to throw around).

19. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Also, I specifically called out in one thread, how many years of boneheaded plays Cat lovers are willing to put up with. I asked for a timeline (because I hardly think it's unfair to ask). Yet somehow that went unanswered. So I ask again. How many more years of dumb play?

20. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I think you need to explain this fuzzy math you're talking about. What does a subjective measure like "boneheaded shots" have to do with the other team scoring? Do you mean Mobley is heaving up shots on the defensive end as well.....scoring for the other team? That makes no sense, but it's about the best I can make out of this drivel you just posted.