1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Kubiak! Bring in Cowher.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TheMountainTop, Dec 10, 2012.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Kubiak would have to have multiple playoff letdowns for that to happen. So far he has none. Last seasons loss to Baltimore was expected.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Is the helmet that you wear all day uncomfortable? Just curious

1 person likes this.
  3. TheMountainTop

You guys can bash me all you want but the truth is in all his years as the head coach in Houston, Kubiak has a .500 record and only gone to the playoffs twice and its mostly because of Wade Phillips and his defense. I am venting not because we lost that game but in the fashion that we did. The inability of our coach to fire our players up or to make decent coaching decisions. What good is a record when you don't win a championship? Who remembers records? People remember Championships. If you can't compete on the big stage than how are you going to compete in the playoffs against these elite teams?

1 person likes this.
  4. Relentless

Relentless Member

He's actually 57-51 overall, which is slightly over .500

5. TheMountainTop

mediocre

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Wow...you call him a dumbass Aggie in the post that made me think...what a dumbass. Oh the irony.

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

You and 713 should hang out to share your vast football wisdom and your inability to get laid.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate calling people stupid....but...

9. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I haven't been pleased with Kubiak this season, and agree that Cowher, Gruden, etc. would be an upgrade. Houston lacks consistent killer instinct. But now is not the time to get rid of Kubiak or the special teams coach or anyone else. The Texans are 11-2, have won all of the games they're "supposed" to win so far, and still control their own destiny for the #1 seed in the AFC and a first round bye.

Barring a dramatic collapse, Kubiak will be back next season. It's likely he'll be back even if the Texans lose the rest of our regular season games and their first playoff game. OTOH, I think there's a good chance that the special teams coach will be shown the door this offseason.

10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Ask NY Giants about regular seasons and ask the Patriots on post-season. People have been calling for their head coach to get canned every year, yet he stands with 2 Super Bowls. Patriots have won 9 out of 10 divisions in the last 10 year, you would think they would have more than just 3 Super Bowls and all of them were tight finishes for the Pats. If Kube showed his hand too early, Patriots would be all over it. I didn't see them go 4 wide when they were behind by that many points in the first half like they did against Jags. If we don't win anymore games from this point on, then we should fire Kube, but so far it is too premature.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Kubiak inherited a 2-14 disaster. He had them at .500 in his second season, which is admirable. Unfortunately, Schaub couldn’t stay healthy and so the team spun its wheels for two years. They then underachieved in 2009 (9-7; players didn’t execute, Kubiak deserves blame for employing said players) and, of course, fell off a cliff in 2010 as Kubiak’s blind eye to the defense was finally exposed.

But since 2009, he’s 36-25 with a playoff victory (with TJ Yates), which I think is a much fairer representation of him as a coach. (It works out to 9-10 wins/season.). And right now, the team is still the favorite to be the4 conference’s top seed.

Phillips absolutely righted Kubiak’s greatest wrong. But it’s disingenuous to say they “only” went to the playoffs because of him, which is something said waaaaaaaaay too much. This offense has, more or less, been playoff-ready since 2008, and that’s all on Kubiak. The defense is *not* dragging a sub par offense to the postseason. The defense finally playing at a consistently competent level has allowed the offense to have a worthy partner.

They played like a team that got way too big for its britches. The opening series were indicative of a team that spent the week distracted and unfocused – trying on lettermen jackets, reading press clippings. An illegal procedure penalty on the first play from scrimmage, a dropped pass on third down, a needless defensive penalty wiping out a third down stop, an attempt to scoop and run a fumble recovery when pouncing on it was the proper course, and an impatient, fundamentally horrible pass to the end zone that more or less killed the night.

Those are ALL on the players. It goes on – I saw ample opportunities killed by a lack of execution. Go look at the play-by-play: the plays that hit, especially in the passing game. were all 15, 20-yard plays. But Schaub made bad throws (remember his overthrow of Jean?); guys dropped balls (Jean, Walter); the protection was terrible; and the run game could not get on track.

It didn’t look like the game plan was at fault at all. Hopefully, it was a wake-up to the players that they haven’t accomplished anything yet.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah, that Manning guy in Denver sucks.

13. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

The thing i worry about is Wade leaving to get another head coaching chance after this season....thus...leaving us with only Kubiak. Down hill again from there.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[bbs logic]

He wasn't elite that day, so it doesn't count.

[/bbs logic]

15. 34to11

34to11 Member

That's news to me. Tell me more about these "signs" and the Texans actually telling him "NO".

16. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Shared sentiments. What can we do as fans but hope Kubiak's strengths will pull thru and his apparent weaknesses don't bite us.
    I really like Gruden's energy and obvious command of game tactics, but as a senile man once said you go to war with what you have, not what you want..

17. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Lol,...too many kids that don't know better or knuckleheads that should...

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

LOL! Nice. :grin:

I keep hearing people say "but that was only his third game! " ... uhhhh... so if he would have beat us, people would have still been coming back with the "he's an elite QB" thing... :rolleyes:

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Marty really only had one letdown in the playoffs with the Chargers. Hard to knock him for losing to the Pats.

I'd fire Kubiak if he didn't go to the AFC championship game, and assuming I knew I could get Cowher or Gruden. I know it is hard to fathom cutting lose a guy after a good season, but I'm not sure I wouldn't take my chances with somebody more proven if they were available.

20. TheMountainTop

If not Cowher then Payton if he is available.