1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bplld, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Who here thinks TMac is worth another 8 or 10 points a game?

hmmm......

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

At least and not limited to.

3. FadeAway_Dreams

Sure, when he's healthy he should be good for that but with the team we have he shouldn't need to score 30 points a game. I certainly wouldn't complain as long as it came within the offense though.

4. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Easily. Imagine Cleveland doing what they're doing without Lebron.

5. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

^With TMac, we are better than cleveland. Yet when they dont have lebron, i think they would still have a couple of wins. We have no wins without him, and its not like those games werent winnable.

6. edc

edc Contributing Member

Incorrect. The Rockets were NEVER six games under .500 last season. The low point was 6-11, after an overtime loss to the Dallas Mavericks on December 2.

McGrady's absence is a big part of the problem. However, it is far from the only issue. Mr. Van Gundy has done nothing to adjust. Remember, the Phoenix Suns were supposed to be a lottery team without Stoudamire, yet they manage to maintain around .500

With the exception of the rookie, Mr. Van Gundy's additions have underperformed. Yao Ming looks better, but still suffers from both wind issues, and "Patrick Ewing syndrome." The returning sidemen are not a year better, but a year older.

Things will certainly pick up, but those expecting to sniff a significant run in the playoffs may be quite disappointed.

7. bplld

^Thats right.

Great teams dont make excuses. How great of a team are we if without TMac we cant even pull out one win.

This team is underachieving miserably without tmac, how do you know they wont underachieve with tmac. Even if we make the playoffs, will it be as a title contender, can we get out of the first round?

8. lee

lee Member

around him for other magic Rockets

9. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

Yao was worse with Rudy T. You might say Yao was a rookie, but Luther is a rookie this year.

10. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

Have you been wathcing Luther Head that last couple of games. Would you rather have Francis back?

11. edc

edc Contributing Member

Nonsense. Yao's offensive play was better his rookie year than it has been since.

12. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

First, you "fans" need to learn the game of basketball. Watch the whole game. Don't listen to Charles Barkley or Stephen A. Smith. I think Stephen A. must be on the board with all of the whining. Second, Let's give the Rox a chance when T-Mac comes back. He does much more than score 20 pts in a quarter. Have you all watch McGrady play??? He also runs the floor and sets up the tone of the offense. The Rockets are 0-6 without T-Mac. Third, please jump off of the Hate Yao bandwagon. Yao is not the only reason we are losing. People who have knowledge on basketball know this. We are missing a floor leader. Sura being out really hurts us. You have to look past the fantasy stats. Sura brings toughness and intelligence in running the offense. After the December trades and Surra returning to the lineup, the Rox started clicking with each other. Forth, STOP the FIRE GUNDY boards just 11 games into the season. Would you whether pay Jackson over 10 Million and have a similiar record. Paul Silas was fired from Cleveland for a reason. Many of you loved Gundy when he lashed at Stern for bad calls on Yao.

13. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

I don't think so. You might forgot that Yao had a slow start in his first year.
    02-03 HOU 13.5 Pts. 49.8 FG% 81.1 FT% 2.11 TO - 82 Games
    03-04 HOU 17.5 Pts. 52.2 FG% 80.9 FT% 2.49 TO - 82 Games
    04-05 HOU 18.3 Pts. 55.2 FG% 78.3 FT% 2.45 TO - 80 Games
    05-06 HOU 18.3 Pts. 4833 FG% 79.1 FT% 2.50 TO - 12 Games

Stats from nba.com

14. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

05-06 HOU 18.3 Pts. 48.3 FG% 79.1 FT% 2.50 TO - 12 Games

15. edc

edc Contributing Member

Yao Ming showed more creativity, better footwork, and an overall "better" offensive game his rookie year than any season under Mister Van Gundy.

16. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

*hands edc a 6-pack of hatorade*

must be a canadian..

17. edc

edc Contributing Member

If the "savior" is a 30+ year old journeyman point guard, something is terribly wrong.

Incidentally, Sura is done. D-O-N-E. There's a pretty good chance he will be retiring.

18. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

I agree that Sura is done. However, I never said the Sura was the savior. I said the ROX started clicking after sura retuned and the December trades. I think you need to try phonics for yout reading disability. yes, Hooked on Phonics can work for you.

19. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JVG

[​IMG]

We're not trying hard enough. I know how to win, but I don't know if we want to win. Yao, go set that pick on the 3 point line for Alston. Then dive into the post for a bad pass. Then Run the other way! Run! Run! Why Don't you want to try!

[​IMG]

20. bplld

The point about Tmac is, this team is way too dependent on, which you yourself are admiting, duh. The offense cant survive without him and when i say he scores 20 points in a quarter i mean that he has to do win us games on his own.

I never jumped on the hate yao bandwagon, and there is a right to blame Yao. He has to step up as a leader for the rockets, be active in the second half, and make smarter decisions. Of course Yao isnt the only reason we are loosing, but he is the biggest. We loose games in the clutch, and he disapears in the clutch. See any correlation there? I agree that a lot of people are overeacting to Yao though.

Sura probably wont come back, and there are capable ball spreaders on this team, we should be able to move on without him.

This is one fire van gundy thread, why are you getting so excited. He makes a lot of money, and Jackson is a better coach than Gundy by far, he would not have us in this hole. Silas might no either, Cleveland was a bad team last year period. They are good now cause they added Damon Jones, Donyell Marshall, and Larry Hughes. Not a quiet offseason.