1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIRE GUNDY!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by R0ckets03, Dec 4, 2004.

1. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

I posted this elsewhere... but since I have gotten on the fire JVG bandwagon...

Our players are not so much the issue as the system you put them in. This was stated before and I don't remember who stated it: "the biggest difference between college coaches and pro coaches is that college coaches build systems that their current crop of players can succeed in while pro coaches demand that their players adapt to them."

The college coaches have it figured out.

Can we win with the players we have. YES, YES, YES.

Can we win with the current system we have? NO, NO, NO.

JVG is bringing in the same system he used in NY and it isn't working. The only reason it worked last year is because we had better players, more athletic players.

Rudy T at least was able to adapt his style of play to fit his players.

With TMac and Yao we should have the best 1-2 punch in the league outside of Wade and Shaq.

With MoTaylor we should have instant offense off of the bench (not starting!).

With Howard we should have a solid, all around PF. Not fancy but blue collar.

With JJ we have a consistant shooter and a good rebounder and a solid defender.

With Sura and Ward we have high energy, defensive minded points who can create and push the ball (Sura) or who play under control and can shoot (Ward).

In Boki and Padgett we have energy and solid shooting off of the bench.

In Bowen and Deke we have hustle and defense off of the bench.

WE HAVE A TEAM THAT CAN WIN GAMES.

We just need the coach who can find the system best suited to the solid players we have.

2. edc

edc Contributing Member

If you believe that, there are a number of places that would be glad to take your money. The current line is SA + 6.5 (meaning, if the Rockets win, or lose by less then 7 points, you are a winner).

3. ym11

ym11 Member

it's too early to fire GUNDY but we do need to replace CD.

4. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Thanks for the heads up. I have always liked you and continue to. :)

5. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Who: Phil Jackson
    Why: 9 Championships
    When: No one knows

Who: Donnie Nelson
    Why: Young, ambitous guy who knows the game
    When: Whenever we give him a call

Who: Del Harris
    Why: Knows Yao, knows the game, can run an offense
    When: Whenever we give him a call

7. edc

edc Contributing Member

Congratulations. I hope you bet the mortgage.

Having said that, the win was entirely due to McGrady. JVG's "system" was responsible for being down by 11 with three minutes to go.

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

JVG is responsible for this crappy offense. T-Mac told JVG: STFU and give me the ball. :D

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's true..we wouldn't have won had T-Mac not just taken matters into his own hands...that can't mean that T-Mac can/should do that every game, all the time, but I saw the ESPN recap Uprising posted...it was pretty amazing!

(Ok, not to nitpick, but does anyone think T-Mac shot the ball on that 4-point play AFTER he was fouled? :D)

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

It's also true that we wouldn't have won if we'd have allowed the Spurs to score their season average....:D ;) But who here appreciated defense? :)

11. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

This maybe the begining of the end for all of the JVG haters...

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Lets hope it is. I hate Van Dumpy more then anyone else. But if he is willing to change his style then I am willing to give him a chance.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why do you think that...what won us the game...JVG? :confused:

14. clove

clove Contributing Member

You'd be surprised GATER. Peep the "We got D" thread.

15. clove

He had a lot to do with it. Tmac wouldn't have had the opportunity to be superman if we didn't play crazy D all game.

16. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

JVGness kept us in the game and then almost lost it, our players won this one.

Fire GUNDY!

17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Where was it in JVG's playbook for T-Mac to hit those 3's? T-Mac had to break out of JVG's shell to hit those 3's. :mad:

18. clove

Props to you. Keep on booing them when they play like CNT. I feel you are a part of this turn around.lol

Maybe for the time being, drop the "fire gundy" chants, for say, 10 games or so. Personally I think it gets JVG going, it's like energy drink for him, but some people don't really understand that.

19. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Its funny because R0ckets03 actually had the chant going around the time the Rockets were down by 11. I was sitting on the bottom level and i could still hear him and some others. Maybe JVG or T-Mac heard it as well and got extra motivated (joking). ;)

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

So when they lose, blame JVG! When they win, JVG didn't do it! Sweet logic.

GATER nailed it. JVG had a great defensive scheme coming into this game and the Rockets did a great job playing D.

I wonder if Rudy was the coach, we would assume he gave Tmac a motivation speech and so Rudy won the game for us?