1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIRE GUNDY!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by R0ckets03, Dec 4, 2004.

1. edc

edc Contributing Member

(1) It is called Yao and T-Mac.

(2) I believed last season that the *best* the Rockets could hope for (2003-2004 regular season) under JVG was basically a repeat of the previous season or one before that. My expectation was slightly below that.

(3) The fact they managed to get to the 44 win range was a slight surprise, but only very slight. The fact they backed into a playoff spot, and got summarily dismissed was not a sign of improvement.

2. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

And your point concerning the need to replace JVG is ???????

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I've always been happy with JVG and loved the Wesley trade. In fact, I've like all the trades this year, although we could have probably gotten a better deal for Taylor if we'd had traded him right away instead of after letting him sit on the IR for weeks. I had been begging for us to sign Mike James all summer long and now I must eat crow on the fact that owner Les actually used part of our TE to get him when I had consistently labelled him as CHEAP. All in all, this season is like a dream come true compared to the previous seasons' nightmares. Clutchcity is back.

4. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

he doesn't have a point

and other than his uncle Phil, he doesn't have a replacement

what he does have is a cabnet full of...[​IMG]

5. edc

edc Contributing Member

:eek:

Your little scribbles are not amusing.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

"they" is a relative term. because "they" have changed. "they" aren't "they" anymore. they're 32-14 in their last 46 games. before that they were limping. they made changes...they're a different team.

7. edc

edc Contributing Member

We shall see this offseason whether JVG "needs" to be replaced. Underachieve (as defined above), and it should be done. Accomplish the goals, and there probably is no "need," unless of course the winningest head coach active in the last decade wants to come on board....

8. edc

edc Contributing Member

Yep, the only constant is that "they" are old, and "they" have played almost as many games in Knick unis as Rocket unis ;)

9. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Good grief man.....nothing personal but "Shut the hell up"...lol
    I can speak pretty freely in saying I'm not the only one on this board who has grown very weary of your negativity....take it to another board please...

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why do you get to define what is underachieving?

The fact of the matter is, the team is playing very good basketball right now. We're on pace for 49 wins.

The West is tough. We may run into a Dallas team playing good basketball in round 1. If we lose as the 5 seed to the 4 seed in a good series, JVG will have no job worries.

Why do you care that the back of the bench is filled with former Knicks? How many Knicks are in the rotation? Mutombo, who was there after JVG and is the best backup 5 in the league. Baker and Moochie play there for 3/4 of a season. Ward was there for years, he's your one, and he hasn't played in months.

I'd imagine Lopez may be willing to retract his statement with regard to the current Rockets. But, if it makes you happy as it apparently does, continue to live in the glorious days of Tyronn Lue and Jim Jackson.

11. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Tracy was considered to be underacheiving in Orlando - Yao was considered soft.

A coach gets credit for inspiring their players, for developing them, and getting them to buy into the team concept.

That doesn't happen overnight, it takes a while...

12. edc

edc Contributing Member

I get to define underachieving *as I see it*. I'm not telling you to use the same criteria. If you are convinced 47 wins, 42 wins, 35 wins, or even 16 wins in the regular season is not "underachieving," then that is your right.

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

People are actually still posting in this thread???

When the majority of your veteran players, some journeymen who have played for numerous coaches, calls JVG the best coach they have ever played for...I would listen. Then again, I guess we know more than them...;)

14. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

apparently, we don't know more than the players.. only edc

;)

15. entaro

entaro Member

edc is having a ball man.. just ignore him for christ sake... let him rest in peace... and we will have peace around here ;)

16. edc

edc Contributing Member

don't have a cow, man.

17. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

The definition of :rolleyes:

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You are forgetting Lew Lloyd. The guy averaged 17 pts/game in about 30 mins/game from what I recall.

BTW, for an over-the-hill guy, Reid averaged about 38 mins/game in those playoffs and was our 3rd leading scorer.

The fact you had Olajuwon, Sampson, and the sparkplug Lloyd on that team is enough for me to say that starting crew at least was loaded. Not to mention during the season they had Lucas playing well. They were in the playoffs because they were stacked... the 50+ regular season wins were proof of that.

19. edc

edc Contributing Member

My point was that Fitch did a hell of a coaching job. Easily among the top 3-4 in Rockets history, easily (IMHO) above what has been accomplished to date by Van Gundy.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I see your point - I just refuted your seeming lack of ability to recognize that team was loaded with starting talent and had I believe one of the 5 best records in the NBA that season. They were an "underachieving" 51-win team, you know. ;)

This thread is so funny... I had to go back and read it, and I laughed out loud.

Especially the points where the Rockets win and you talk about the season collectively : "must win 51 games or they are underachieving". However when they lose one game you're there talking about that particular game and "*bump*"'ing the thread.

Silliness. :)