1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Gundy II!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by R0ckets03, Dec 3, 2005.

1. terse

terse Member

We did turn it around, but only when a mini-rebellion by the veteran players (T-Mac and probably Sura) forced JVG to loosen up the offence. Because the resulting chemistry was so outstanding, JVG thought his "genius" credentials were proven, and decided to re-impose his stagnant offence. So we are starting the year with another robo team, but T-Mac isn't healthy enough this time to challenge JVG, and Sura is in the hospital.

Several times last year, JVG commented that his dream was to force the Rockets to play the same way game after game, regardless of the adjustments the other teams made. Remember those remarks? I'm beginning to think he wasn't joking about turning the Rockets into a team of robots.

2. terse

terse Member

So do I! :D

He went nuts chanting "Fire Gundy!" right behind JVG's bench, if I remember correctly. I'm beginning to think he was right. :(

3. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

4. Downtown

Downtown Contributing Member

For the last 3 weeks I have been posting my rsponses to various threads, consistently citing within them that the core issue of the Rockets problems is Van Gundy`s personality and commensurate style of coaching that goes along with it. That theme has become a reoccuring chorus being echoed by more and more posters, including this one. I believe Eddie Johnson`s thread from several days before has become the galvanizing voice that will continue to gain monentum and open up the eyes of even the most loyal and blind JVGer`s. Granted, last year when the Rockets were in a hole, JVG made the appeal to the players to stay with him and he would take them out of their demise... and he did...But, let`s face the facts - JVG has lost this team and for whatever reason he can not and will not get it back...and quite honestly, I think he knows it!!!!! There are no appeals and there is no FIRE from him. There is none of that fire that McGrady had last year and though Yao`s play is more aggressive and his numbers are up, he, too, is lacking some of that focused sense of team cohesion. Sorry friends, but this runs deeper than new players, chemistry, rotation, injuries...JVG has lost this team, and with it, its confidence, its hopes and he can not get it back!...Les has no choice but to dump him...

5. mokulen

mokulen Contributing Member

I don't think they'll fire JVG but if they do, how about about PJ Carlesimo? No, seriously. He's been with the Spurs for 2 of their Championship runs and Spurs players reportedly love him (seriously, hes mellowed out). Even if he wasn't the greatest X's and O's coach beforehand (?), you figure he's picked up a few helpful things riding that bench. Seems like he wants to get back in badly but no one will hire him (duh). It would only take McGrady's approval. And if the season gets even worse (ie there's no improvement and the coach is fired!), McGrady may be willing to give him a chance.

But I don't think JVG will be fired. All the injured players, new players, ageing players are good excuses and Les will probably look to see how he works in the new people they get via the upcoming trade(s) ...

6. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

FIRE VAN GUNDY NOW

7. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

If we hire PJ, make sure we also sign Spree.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You know I love you, R0ckets03, but saying this is like saying, "Well, I read a couple of books about brain surgery, so I should be able to handle cutting that guy's head open."

:D

9. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Carlesimo is a good candidate. he has been schooled by POP, so he might not a be candidate. my first choices still are hubie brown or doug collins.

10. bulk

bulk Member

Attitue reflects leadership, captain.

11. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

Whoever thinks that the zone defense will solve our problems obviously does not know what it is. Although he does not know what offense is, there is nothing wrong with JVG's defensive scheme as we have seen throughout his career.

If the guys we have are so r****ded that they cant switch on a simple pnr, we will get killed in the zone. Also, if you think that a zone defense would have prevented the 3point barrage put up by Memphis, you are wrong again. That is the weakness in a zone, the 3 pter.

I think our team sucks right now, but not because we do not know how to play defense. It is because defense is all about effort, but if you are not scoring and cant get a rhythm going, you will not put in any effort. So, I say Les needs to step in and hire an offensive minded assistant coach. Not necessarily replace Gundy, but get someone to help. Also, for the love of god fire Ewing.

12. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Fire Gundy. Make Calvin Murphy the interim head coach and see how he does. The man is a great basketball mind and a great motivator. I think he would be a great coach.

I can't tell you how many times on his broadcasts he could describe very astutely what the Rockets were doing wrong and what adjustments they needed to make. But neither the players or the coaching staff at that time saw what needed to be done.

13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

How bout a trade w/ the Lakers... Jackson for Van Gundy. Kobe needs a hard-ass disciplinarian and the Rockets need a creative offensive mind that has coached championship teams.

In all serioussness... it was fun last year (fire JVG pleas) and warranted. But right now I dunno...this team hasn't shot well nor shown consistent intensity all year. And right now I blame the players for that more than the coaches. But if this ship can't be righted, then clearly the coaches are not doing their job of making the necessary adjustments. Let's see if he can make said adjustments and get this team back on track. If he can't Les can fire him at the end of the season, where potential candidates will be more plentiful, and you know they'll be a number of coaches itching to get their hands on McGrady and Yao in their primes

14. cpan

cpan Member

so can we make a trade with Faker? :D JV for PJ wow!

15. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I was completely against hiring VG in the first place. I wanted Silas or Carlyle.
    I does not matter now about then.

I never gave JVG any credit for our improved offense last year. I still think he turned the reins of the offense over to TMac- who with the help of Sura as Fire dog leader - they produced wins for us. Van Gundy deserves none of the credit for the offensive turn a round last year.

I will always like the dogged defense that JVG teams can produce. Defense will win playoff games.

I never jumped on the Fire Van Gundy bandwagon.

I still do not want to fire him. With trades and a healthy TMac - we improve. Wish we had Sura, but he is done-too bad.

I think the playoffs are a long shot, but do not fire the guy now. Too many other problems.

The way Rudy has been villified by many here (Pat, Nick, David S)-2 wrongs do not make a right. It's not the best course to fire him now. I do not think the team improves rapidly enough to help us get in the playoffs anyway.

Ride it out with Van Gundy for the season and make an educated, informed decision then if we want to fire him and get a new coach.

16. ACL1

ACL1 Member

Give Mario a Chance. Didn't he apply for position or voiced his interest? this season is gone anyways...................

17. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

To get his man out of the post so he can eventullly slip back into the post in a better position...it's just that sometimes he doesn't get the ball back.

18. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Same ole peace of crapola by the same ole set of useless vultures.

This is getting old. Wake me up in January :rolleyes:

19. eugeneli

eugeneli Contributing Member

Fire Van Gundy and rescue the Rockets!!!!

20. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fire JVG. Do it now! Don't wait for the season to grind to an end. That is only destroying your franchise players. He is evil.

You don't need a replacement coach. Tmac is the coach. Give him the ball and get out of the way.

Hire some scout or assistant to fill the interim coach job. So long as he knows who the real boss is. Then let Tmac choose.

It's his world.

Tmac/Yao is like Magic Johnson/Kareem. Coaches need to adjust to their games, not the other way around. Remember, Magic kicked both Westphal and Riley to the curb, when their heads got too big. Now, it's JVG's turn. He is in the way.