1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Gundy II!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by R0ckets03, Dec 3, 2005.

1. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

Well, when i said this, no one believed me.

I told yall that if we were 0-8, then how much better is tmac going to make us. Yall were like, tmac, tmac, tmac.

This team is great, the coach sucks though.

Ever think that Francis and Mobley arent the only two people on Earth who hate JVG.

JVG flat out thinks we are the knicks but our defense sucks because-(except deke)
    -we have no hard core defender or anything close
    -we have no great rebounder
    -we have no great shotblocker
    -we have no great perimeter defender
    -we arent aggresive

A good coach would adapt and focus on offense. JVG wont though, if attention was on offense a bit more, we could be a great team.

2. Kenrui

Kenrui Contributing Member

Why he sits every rockets home game this season? Just for gathering info. for Lakers? I do not think so.

3. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

It's upto Les and CD i guess.

4. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

About who to replace him, when your team SUCKS, anyone can fill in. Get Paul Silas, get anyone, there isnt a worst coach in the nba right now.

5. mmesser

mmesser Contributing Member

I like Silas!! Great recommendation!!

6. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Always good to see Rudy. I miss seeing him at Griff's. But I'm very perplexed by JVG's sitting tonight - and it was from the start of the game. Either he was ill or he's already envisioned the train-wreck.

7. mmesser

mmesser Contributing Member

What about Nelly??
    Think Don Nelson would be willing to come to H-Town? :confused:

8. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Silas is another hardass. he is the another " my way or the highway type". another JVG type. Rudy T is a better choice.

9. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Candidates i like,

Hubie Brown
    Doug Collins
    Rudy T

10. edc

edc Contributing Member

(1) I genuinely believe Rudy T. is done with coaching for the immediate future.

(2) Given the way he was treated by Le$ at the end, why on earth would he want to work for him again?

(3) Should Mr. Van Gundy be shown the door, the Rockets should go with an interim head coach.

11. ACL1

ACL1 Member

After 20 years i have stopped watching games. I hate their brand of basketball. i much rather watch team that looks like they enjoy playing basketball,even if they loose. not a bunch of robots.

fire this r****d!

12. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I don't see how Rudy would be anything but a stop-gap measure and be anything but a PR stunt by Les. Still, if he'd be willing to take it on the chin again for Houston (or millions) - I wouldn't object at this point.

13. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Rudy -T resigning might be a Publicity stunt, but there is no hiding that he can coach. i'm still willing to give JVG TILL THE END OF THE SEASON. I just dont see how firing a coach in the middel of a season can bring any real positives.

14. scutmb

scutmb Contributing Member

Before T-mac back, Everyone wanted trade Yao, becasue he could not carry a team, and He was smits, After T-mac back, It's JVG's fault.

15. michellexiao

michellexiao Contributing Member

I did not watch the game, but read some post-comments in SINA. It says once again the game showed flash and brilliance of the PnR between Tmac and Yao. It also says the PnR beat memphis' fronting on Yao easily, however only Tmac could delivery the ball to Yao like breeze, other guards could not.

Just want to confirm that, I quit wondering why JVG refused to utilized this PnR in many games, because I personally think his days are numbered.

16. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

Last year, when we were struggling, I was definitely on the "Fire JVG" Bandwagon but eventually got off because we started to play better. My reasoning for firing him at the time still stand with me today. The only reason why I wasn't more vocal about it was because we did play better and he got us 51 wins. Well this season, even with "his picked" players, the problems are still clear as day:

1. Van Gundy has no creativity on offense whatsoever.

the reason why we were so successful last year is because of one man, and one man only: Tracy Mcgrady. Our offense last year as well as this year is relatively simple. We have at most 4-5 plays in our entire offensive playbook.

1. Post up Yao in on the left block
    2. Post up Tmac on the right block
    3. Pick and roll with Yao (but never ever throw to Yao rolling)
    4. Screen the shooter (Tmac, DA, Wesley)
    5. Let Tmac create

- and Van Gundy lived off of (5) the whole season. This is clearly shown early on this season when Tmac went down. Because thee was no Tmac and the fact that he could create his own shot as well as shots for others, our offense became very stagnant and boring. Teams would double Yao w/o the ball thus putting the pressure on our guards to create.

2. Van Gundy and the development of Yao.

In an age now where the game is geared towards the guards, it's very tough for centers to be successful now. Because of the zones now, Yao would always have someone fronting him and someone behind him before getting the ball. Because of this, Yao is put in a position where he can't dominate. I don't understand why Van Gundy doesn't run high screens with Yao and actually pass it to yao on the roll.

There's definitely more that I could talk about in regards to the problems with our coaching and Van Gundy but i'm tired of typing.

Where's the list so that I can sign...again :mad:

17. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Oh god not this crap again. I think we should fire fair weather fans like you. Or if you really want to blame someone you might start with the players who are making millions and can't seem to hit a jump shot or show any energy on the floor. I'd be willing to bet that JVG has forgotten more about basketball then most of us know about it it.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I love Rudy... but he had about THREE offensive sets in his final years in Houston... and none of them invovled any sort of movement.

And just in case we forgot, he took those same sets to LA.

Rudy was an expert motivator more than anything, and he had the players to respond to him. He also had a perrenial MVP candidate, and when said player started to falter, his teams were no longer considered elite.

The answer lies in the entire organizaiton... or T-mac's health. A 100% T-mac last year was good enough to compensate for the lack of a viable/consistent 3rd scorer, the lack of a true PG, the lack of a forward who rebounds, and the lack of a killer instinct.

An 85% T-mac needs help... and we don't have the players for it... no matter who the coach is. If T-mac isn't at full strength, forget about it.

19. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I highly doubt Jeff Van r****d has ever learned anything about offensive basketball.

I guess you can start out by firing most of the posters in this thread. :rolleyes:

20. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Buddy, you're having a long night too. :) But I do completely agree.

Perhaps what we should be most afraid of now is what deals we make in desperation. It's too soon to call the Alston/James deal a bust, and it's probably too early to give up on Stro, but watching him play is almost surreal.

Honestly, I'm not as down on JVG's weaknesses here as many. Similarly I'm not sure I want this team to continue to be molded with him as a primary influence.

I don't believe it's in JVG to ever give up on anything, but tonight's game was really strange from the get-go. He didn't look like himself, or comfortable sitting. I think something happened we don't know about and unfortunately we had to watch the result.

I really don't know if he got a no-confidence vote in the last 3 days, but he looked like it and acted like it to me.

I really do believe something's going on, but I hope we have some patience to not make matters worse. And it is possible that could happen. Blech.