1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Espada

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Mr.Scarface, Mar 10, 2024.

1. raining threes

Nope I just realize that Luhnow built a dynasty and Hinch stained the legacy by letting the players cheat

jim1961 likes this.
  2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Luhnow is the GOAT, any astros “fan” who hs anything bad to say about him can go F themselves. Has nothing to do with what you asked, even if you wanna be this dishonest and disingenuous about them “cheating”

everyday eddie, RKREBORN and Radricky like this.
  3. raining threes

Maybe we're not understanding each other. I don't care how Luhnow treated the media. Putting a great team on the field is all that matters to me. BTW, I could care less about the last sentence in your post.

4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

When did i say anything about luhnow? Only you brought him up. You asked why people like hinch, that’s what i responded to

5. raining threes

I thought you were referring to Luhnow.

My point about Hinch not being willing to control his clubhouse and the cheating stands

6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The cheating stuff is obviously irrelevant nonsense, you gotta be really ignorant of baseball at the time to believe that was a real thing. Among our recent managers he was by far the best, so it makes sense people miss him

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

The choice of a baseball manager is usually fairly simple compared to a football coach or basketball coach - especially with the Astros where so many decisions are made before game, and there is nothing to prevent the GM really from contacting the clubhouse in an emergency.

On the other hand, I think everyone under-estimated it with the Astros because Espada has been a holdover going back to Hinch. That can cause issues, because while there were strong relationships between bench coach Espada and the players, it is different when it is manager Espada.

I think that Espada is fine when it comes to choosing line ups, he has clearly improved since the season started and - honestly - some of the more questionable moves he has made with the line up have worked. Yes - there will always be fans that will complain, but Espada is fine there.

When it comes to making pitching changes - Espada has really struggled for a variety of reasons. One, he seems to have a poor feel for the game when it comes to pulling starters. He has left young pitchers out there too long, and turned what would have been confidence building starts into starts where they were left there too long and gave up crooked numbers.

I think when it comes to deciding which relievers to go to - he is getting better at that. He still makes mistakes, but I see improvement for sure. I am also told that he has gone to each reliever separately after having each of them speak to Miller and has got a feel for what they want and expect, and they are mostly happy.

Where I see problems though - is that Espada is slow to act when the game deviates from what he expects. He has blown chances for challenges, which shows he and his staff do not know the rules as sharply as they should. He also lets things mushroom out of control - the Valdez 5th inning is a perfect example. He knew something was wrong with Valdez and Diaz and then he watched Valdez give up a 3 run homer. At that point a good manager at least goes out there, if doesn't straight pull Valdez. You go to your pen earlier, but you are still up 6-4. Instead Espada NEVER acted, he literally let Valdez blow a 5 run lead and gave up 7 runs in one inning. He also has not been great at using base running either.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Hinch has been dishonest about 2017 and has protected people in the game.

The idea that Hinch was afraid to stop it, makes zero sense.

Hinch's bench coach was heavily involved in the scandal (Cora).

Hinch claims that he didn't have the courage to make them stop - yet he also supposedly destroyed the screen involved.

It makes zero sense that the bench coach would be so deeply involved if Hinch didn't accept what he was doing.

Also - If Hinch was so convinced it was the players in the dugout handling all of this, he could have gone to Luhnow or someone else in the front office.

Why would he not do that?

Also - Hinch, Cora and Luhnow constantly met and discussed all decisions on the field and off.

I was told that the front office knew exactly what was going on, and participated in it - as did Hinch, and didn't speak up against it.

You draw your own conclusions.

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Having your finger on the pulse of a team...in conjunction with in game strategy.
    All facets...
    A necessity for any contender...
    And, we don't have it...
    Dusty's "player's manager" will get you only so far most of the time.
    Espada being cast in this role so cavalierly smacks of hubris. "He'll learn on the job"...Damn.
    How freaking hard is it to understand you need a veteran guy with us being a perennial contender!?!

Even Hinch spit the bit and cost us a WS in that regard.

You'd think Big Jim would have prioritized someone that could handle the strategic side..learned from his mistakes, but....

We're really missing Luhnow.

Go Astros!

10. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Yep. It was a bad look for Altuve to go out there and accept responsibility but not his manager.

11. Qan

Qan Member

We back to firing Espada? Not yet? Next time then.

12. raining threes

Yet he's got as many rings as Dusty, although he had more talent to work with and I'm not a Dusty guy fan.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Espada is in over his head. I'm just hope he figures it out soon before it's too late, because we aren't finding a great manager in the middle of the season.

jim1961 likes this.
  14. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

If he is going to keep burning his pitchers out he needs to be fired

15. Buck Turgidson

It's baffling to try and describe just how disappointed I am with Espada and his moves and machinations on the field and in the pen

raining threes, jim1961 and Rvo384 like this.
  16. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

No, Altuve is a leader same as Correa and Springer were

17. Buck Turgidson

What pitchers has he "burned out"?

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Why TF is Bregman batting cleanup

raining threes likes this.
  19. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

He should be but how much longer are you going to hold water for Dummy?

IBTL likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

That question's been asked about 87 times today and absolutely nobody can come up with an even slightly plausible answer.