1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. 1234567

1234567 Member

The time out calling fiasco really not a big thing. Should have done it immediately as they got to know there isn't enough time for anything else. But say they did and with 10 seconds and no time out what can they do?

Maybe a out route and try to catch and get out of bounds, which is the only play and the Pats will be ready for that.

They lost on challenge that would gain them nothing! It was 4th down regardless.

They needed the 2 timeouts at the end there for a reasonable chance.

But that's still on the coaching staff!

The mirror is awful busy these days for Bill.

Bright side. Watson is the future and he is learning and getting better every game.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Those who want BOB gone are not thinking intelligently right now.

Sure lets put our Franchise QB in a second offensive system in as many years after showing today that BOB's offense clearly will work with him.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Bad idea to fire the old chin now. You pretty much should lock him up for a while. I see him and Watson someday becoming the new Bell and Brady.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Almost beat the defending super bowl champs on the road with a rookie qb. Lets fire him.

5. conquistador#11

I liked the "package" he had for watson and he said it should get bigger. Now if we can kidnap miller on 3rd and 1 situations.

kaleidosky likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's a non answer.

I'd like to know what happened. Did he think we had none left? Did he want to spike it? Is Romeo supposed to tell him?

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not expecting much else around here.

The same people were criticizing him for even thinking about starting Watson in the first place... now, he's supposed to be beating elite teams on the road, regardless of context.

My biggest issues with BOB have been poor game plans to start games... that require too many halftime adjustments (which usually do improve things). Today, they seemed to have a decent game-plan from the start. Plenty of play-action, plenty of pocket movement, and utilizing Watson's running ability.

I'm still not impressed with this defense. They did get to Brady today... but it was inconsistent pressure. Watt was being consistently double-teamed, yet Clowney/Merciless really only capitalized once each, and neither got consistent pressure beyond those plays.

The O-line, while garbage, does have a tendency to get better simply with repetition. They had a much better game today... but granted, the Pats front 7 isn't the best.

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Bill O'Brien is still making inexperience decisions in year 4 is unacceptable.

Terrible game management.
    Predictable play calling in clutch situations.
    Not knowing what your personal brings to the table. ( Miller is not good running up the gut for an example)

He could've been bailed out if Moore doesn't drop that interception. Not only that, where is your footbal IQ. Push the receiver out of bounds for crying out loud.

But it shouldn't have come down to that if Bill O'Brien shows he has a pair. Run Foreman or Watson on a bootleg on 4th down.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Look, you either can take it home when the game is on the line or you can't....O'Brien is firmly in the can't category.

He seems to make too many mental mistakes...that cost the team, it builds up, the little things matter.

DD

ghettocheeze and conquistador#11 like this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. conquistador#11

Dhop came off the field yelling "that's unacceptable."

(play conspiracy xfiles music)

marks0223 likes this.
  12. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The Texans offensive explosion today had little to with BOB's genius play-calling.

How many big plays did the Texans have where Watson was dead to rights in the backfield, but somehow escaped multiple tackles to make the play?

Again, look at Watson's full highlights.

The throw to Ervin on 3rd and 10 in the 2nd quarter?
    The throw to Griffin on 2nd and 22 in the 3rd?
    The throw to Foreman on 1st and 20 in the 4th?
    The throw to Hopkins at the end of the game?

All of these involved Watson freelancing on a broken play and escaping the pocket to make something out of nothing.

Please don't tell me BOB designed these plays as such.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That's what I thought too. Watson was creating a lot but I wouldn't credit the play design.

What was up with faking the reverse like 5 times? Anyone notice that?

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought the same thing. Funny thing is, Miller is actually getting more yards per carry than Foreman. That should have been a Watson run.

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't want BOB fired during the season. But, when a coach can't figure out when to make challenges or how to manage the clock, it doesn't instill much confidence in the minds of the fans. I'm not sure BOB is a good multitasker.

justtxyank likes this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Honestly I feel like OBrien fired himself when he made himself his own OC this year.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Well he was for sure fired if he kept Godsey around

ghettocheeze likes this.
  18. t s p n

t s p n Member

Two things that let's me know BOB is not the guy to lead this team.

1. On that 3rd and 1, no one is going to object running the ball. Problem is why run up the middle in a 3 receiver, one back set? The box was stacked. Just further proves to me his playing calling won't get the Texans far.

2. Is it me or did BOB run quarterback draw several times. Who does that in today's game where franchises live and die based on their qb? Kinda reminds me of how Shanahan ran RG3 into the ground and was never the same.

Hopefully the owner see what most people see and moves on before BOB ruins this qb.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ironic post since plenty of people complaining about the Miller run were suggesting that Watson run it up the middle (or perform a QB draw).

The draw was effective today... but that will be all over advanced scouting reports as more film gets out on Watson, and will be rendered ineffective in short order.

Again, too much is being made of that 3rd and 1 and 4th and inches FG. The odds of the Texans running out the clock there (by gaining at least 2 more first downs), or somehow scoring a TD, were still less than the odds of them stopping a 3rd and 18, gathering that sack-fumble, and Moore coming down with that interception that was cradled in his hands till the point he hit the ground.

kaleidosky and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Well, if the timeout were called, the Texans would be on their own 46 with about 10 to 12 seconds left.
    The Eagles had 7 seconds left with 0 timeouts on their own 38 yard line and threw a 19 yard out that ended up in a 61 yard winner. A 19 yard out for the Texans would have left them with a 52 yard attempt for the tie.

And if this tweet is true, then it's beyond aggravating to be stuck with a coach who is so terrible at clock management.