1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I can't comment on that.

Ive just gotten wind of the QB conversation a few times.

Team has been pro Savage since beginning of this season. Savage has just been better.

Bobs comment in the past about being a relatively new coach(in regards to saying things that lead to a fine) was telling overall.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's ridiculous. I don't think McNair has what it takes to build a great front office.

3. tmacfor35

I have no knowledge on this, but an assumption is that the McNair/Smith combo realized a few weeks ago they may have made a mistake.

In regards to La Canfora, he's been known to be very much tied in to the team. His sources are going to be stronger than most.

Shoot, the only local guy that has any real sources seems to be Berman.

4. Mr. Clutch

I thought that was in reference to the referees.

I still go back to before the preseason though, OBrien was pretty happy with signing Brock based on his own scouting and watching the tape himself.

Now, maybe they brought Brock in and he realized Brock was terrible and wanted to bench him. But it's too late at that point. And maybe it was Rick and McNair who decided to pay him that much. OBrien may not have been involved in the dollar amounts, salary cap, etc.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Well your word of mouth contradicts the actual words and actions of the men involved lol

Bill O'Brien is nearing Daryl Morey status at his height on this board. No matter how decisions pan out, we're fighting to make him look good in the end. What we know about the coach is that he is not very good at recognizing QB talent and mismanages his QB room. He praised Osweiller just like he praised Hoyer last year. His best QB so far has been Fitzpatrick, who he benched for Ryan Mallett. He's talked high of Brock before and after his first game as a Texan. I don't fault him for starting that way. I still think signing Brock was the right decision. Where they messed up was the inability to coach more out of him and/or knowing when to give up and bench him. Yet somehow he comes out the hero after benching him in week 14. smh

6. Mr. Clutch

In any case, if Savage and Fuller and other picks turn out great, then it's all good. We can just cut Brock next year and move on.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

"His sources are going to be stronger than most" just means the team tells him what they want to masses to know/think

8. tmacfor35

That comment had a lot of weight to it. It reflects how much control he has overall. BOB is a puppet in my opinion.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Nick Martin to Kizer to Fuller. The Irish connection.

10. tmacfor35

Didn't Fitz and Hoyer have their best years in their careers under BOB? Yep.

Fitz even admitted how BOB was the best coach he had in so many words(this was after we didn't resign him).

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

And then Fitz went out and balled last year as a Jet. Hoyer played ok with the bears this year.but not as bad as he was in his last game as a Texan. Maybe the coach's problem is not being able to figure out who is the best man for the job.

12. Mr. Clutch

Statistically yes they did. Maybe BOB is overconfident in turning trash QBs good

13. tmacfor35

McNair and Smith are higher in the pecking order in Houston.

They had much more to do with Brock then BOB.

raining threes likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure, if only we could have a QB from a 4 win college team that can't complete 60% of his passes. That would be awesome.

-HardenTime

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yeah except that logic only seems to apply when it is a bad signing. Who drafted JJ Watt, Wade Phillips. Who gets credit for Hopkins, Kubiak. Who gets credit for Fitzpatrick, O'Brien. Who gets credit for Brock? Rick Smith and McNair. We saw from Hard Knocks that Rick talks to the coach about a lot of decisions. There is no way they would have signed Brock without first having a conversation with O'Brien and getting an okay from him. Again, I can't fault them for okaying the deal (I don't care about the money); Brock was believed to be the best available free agent QB by almost everybody paid to talk about football.

16. Mr. Clutch

To add to this, you can see that the personnel decisions have been different than under Kubiak. Previously we got guys that fit the Kubiak mold, now we're getting guys that are in the OBrien mold. IMO Rick is going out and getting the guys the coach wants.

Nimo likes this.
  17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Other posters have nothing to do with you saying that Clowney/Mack couldn't be compared because they weren't the same age and now saying that Brock/Teddy can be compared even though they aren't the same age.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Teddy won't even be in the league anymore when he's Osweiler's age, so I guess you just can't EVER compare them by that logic.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Not sure what that has anything to do with it. Teddy got hurt so he might be completely done (due to his injury).

The last two years people have tried to compare rookie/2nd season Clowney to rookie/2nd season Mack. You said that they couldn't be compared because Clowney is 2 years younger than Mack.

Now you are trying to compare a 22 year old rookie Teddy to a 26 year old "rookie" Brock.

The hypocrisy is easy to see. Just admit it, and move on.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, I didn't say that they couldn't be compared, I said that the younger player was better because of the development he could have by the time he was the same age. Pointing out that despite missing time, he was young enough to still have a higher ceiling than Mack.

Given that Teddy won't even make it to being Osweiler's age in the NFL due to him being a bust, if you want to whine about using his first season, it's okay, we'll just say that they can't be compared due to Teddy busting out of the league too soon.

I do have to say, that it's funny you'd want to bring up Clowney given that it was yet another time you were dead wrong when trying to argue against me. You were of the opinion that Clowney was an injury prone bust (and often suggesting the Mercilus was the superior player), and I called you an idiot for it while other people on the board were calling for trading Clowney for Blake Bortles.....you crazy kids never learn.

You consistently try to troll with inaccurate BS. I keep hoping that one day you'll learn enough about football in order to at least provide intelligent trolling but so far you've failed.