1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Just another excuse. Injuries are part of the game and Watson has played well even without being 100%. No defense for the offense being so bad overall through most of the year

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The offensive line was largely scrapped together. The communication issues have disappeared and they are playing better. Defenses also adjusted to Watson by showing coverage late. Those things created some struggle.

It has gotten better the last 5 weeks and this team has become a playoff contender.

3. Mr. Clutch

OBrien is the one who started Rankin (a rookie who missed training camp) at LT then moved Davenport (who practiced at LT all training camp) to RT.

Now that he has undone that stupid mistake, the OL looks competent. He is also giving Mancz more time.

But there's no question OBrien made a bad OL situation worse.

Watson has struggled at times but overall he's been very good considering the amount of pressure he's been under.

tmacfor35 likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Agreed.

I wanted OB gone after the Giants game.

I have moved off that take for now as he has brought the team back from the dead.

If he can grab a win in Denver, I think they would ultimately have the division wrapped up as I wouldn't expect anyone in the division to beat them at home.

If I recall he has been pretty good after the bye(ignoring last season where the team was decimated by injury).

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

My argument last year was based on Watson's development. If he was doing well with O'brien, you'd be an idiot to change that. Just look at the mess Cleveland now has with Baker's development in limbo.

The offense sucked to begin this season, no doubt. They weren't just running "New England plays", whatever that is. They were running RPO, play-action, long routes, short routes... nothing worked because of a conglomeration of factors (O-line sucking, Watson coming back from injury, bad play calls).

You have a tendency to put all the blame on him when things go bad which is idiotic simply because you would then therefore have to give him all the credit when things go good. Yes, last year's offensive production cannot be ignored. If this year's trend continues, it should also not be ignored.

Unlike you, I'm fluid with stances/hot takes and I'm willing to acknowledge improvement and credit all parties involved for both good things and bad things.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

OBrien by all accounts is a good leader of men. His team likes playing for him and doesn't quit.

I'd be happier with him if he had a good offensive coordinator/play caller, a better offensive line coach and a time management coach (lol). He can be the leader but he should delegate everything else.

I also don't like that he has a GM that's "harmonized."

Joshfast and Genesis like this.
  7. raining threes

Other than ACL surgery history not just of DW4 but most players that have had ACL surgeries. Obviously you're not a Dr. and neither am I but I lisen to DR.'s opinions and history I've seen of guys that have had ACL surgeries. You?

A crappy OL that while better is still way below avg.

8. raining threes

Have they won 5 in a row?

It seems to me that you would rather be right than see them win.

Did you see the Pats offense struggle against the Bills D last night?

9. Champs

Champs Member

Through next year at least. They paid a price for Watson, now lets see how he builds around him.

10. Mr. Clutch

I like the accusation that people who disagree with you have hot takes.

"Nothing worked because of a conglomeration of factors." Good summation of OBriens offense over 5 years. This year it was his OL shuffling causing most of the problems.

O'Brien early in the season clearly went away from what he did with Watson last year. "He tried a bunch of stuff and it didn't work" doesn't seem like a good defense. It's his job to make it work. He's out of excuses.

This year's trend = 24th in offensive by dvoa and one of the worst red zone offenses. Going to need to see a better trend than one game.

11. Mr. Clutch

Fair enough. To me, we've seen this before and he can never sustain offensive success.

12. Mr. Clutch

I agree Watson isn't 100% but he was playing well. I don't think we can blame him for the poor offensive start

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You don't think you have hot takes? You're in total hot take denial? I don't care who agrees or disagrees with me... I'm just speaking for everybody here that is tired of your myopic, one-sided, can't talk or analyze anything else, would rather the Texans LOSE with O'brien to try and prove your point views.

Are you kidding me? Did you not see failed RPO after play-action after RPO attempt vs New England? Did you not see them attempt to set up screens or the countless WR-outs they did last year?

At some point, you'll come to the realization that its not as simple as "this play worked, its a good play call", or "this play didn't work, its a bad play call". Execution within the play is paramount to any sort of consistent success. There's also something about the opposing defense having something to do with it... but yes, lets stick your narrative that whenever something good happens with the offense, its due to almost every factor 'other' than the coach... but vice versa, its all on the coach for negative results.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Put all the blame on him, no. Throwing red zone interceptions and holding on to the ball at times... is he not a part of that decision making pattern, or does he only get the credit when things are good?

15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Honestly, I think the crazy success Watson had his first year kind of hurt him. His deep ball success was unsustainable. But it led to him this year holding on to the ball too long looking for the deep shot. This is why I believe he has the most interceptions thrown IN the endzone. But of course, our crappy red zone percentage is ONLY Obriens fault.

Im not on Obrien's side for everything. I think he needs an OC really bad. That way he could focus more on the time management. I also hate how he acts to reporters after a loss. Like quit being mean after you coached poorly. HOWEVER, I'm sick of some people on here just blaming EVERYTHING on him and hoping we do worse so he gets fired and at the same time not giving him credit for anything positive. It's so tiresome: "Offense struggles, barely win = BOB is terrible" "Offense goes off, wins handedly = Watson shaking off rust" Like come on, it's so narrative-pushing...

pugsly8422 and hieuytran like this.
  16. Mr. Clutch

Just gonna skip over the stuff that's about me because I don't have time to waste on nonsense. You have written about a full page about my posts to distract that OBrien still sucks

You didn't watch the early games. Stop saying RPO, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about misdirection, play action, and getting away from iso routes. OBrien absolutely did not do this. He was widely trashed for going away from what worked last year. If you don't know that then you didn't watch or read.

Also saying "obrien tried rpo and it didn't work." How is that a defense? Its his job to make it work. If it didn't work then maybe he sucks.

17. Mr. Clutch

Sure you can blame the players too. But the PFF grades and most analysis have Watson playing well this year.

Yet the offense is bottom 10. Again.

His handling of the OL was indefensible. Or are you gonna blame the players for that too? Well he picked the players. But you probably don't even know what's been happening with the OL

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're the only one claiming that they completely abandoned what worked last year. And even then, you sound like a fool when you think play-action and misdirection automatically works, when you're not running the ball well or pass-blocking well. And even then, they tried all of that their first 3 games... of which none of it works if your offensive line can't maintain the edge for less than a second.

Its not rocket science that when you start winning the trenches, you can diversify the offense much better. If you want to blame him for not putting the right players in the right position on the O-line, fine. The O-line was terrible. But, are you trying to give him credit for attempting to fix it? They looked pretty damn stout against a very good defense in Jacksonville, and then dominated the line against a weaker defense in Miami.

And I'm sorry to have to highlight the myopic nature of your posts... but on behalf of the entire forum, I'll let you know you don't need to constantly waste your time saying the same things over and over and over again. We get it... and you'll unfortunately never enjoy another win in this era as it doesn't fit your hot takes.

#3058 Nick, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  19. Mr. Clutch

Me: they went away from all the misdirection and play action that worked so well last year

You: O'Brien tried that and failed. Also the running game sucked. Therefore, O'Brien is still a brilliant offensive mind.

Me: wtf?T That'syour defense of O'Brien?

At least we agree OBrien mangled the OL so badly. Sure I'll give him credit for having the OL ready to play HALFWAY THROUGH THE SEASON AFTER THE FRANCHISE QB GOT A BRUISED LUNG!

O'Brien being a bad offensive coach is something of a consensus now.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You tendency to start quoting people with statements that were never said is baffling when you’re being called out on your bullshit.

There were a host of reasons why last years gameplan failed. You accused them of not even running it. They needed to make adjustments, let’s hope they have. At no point have I ever used the word Brilliant for anybody.

I also didn’t see anybody making the suggested O line changes prior to them starting the season. Anybody who thinks so is just pure hindsight revisionism.

In the end, they’ve made adjustments for the better.... something that is as big a part of this game as anything. All teams have to adjust as the season goes on, some adjust within the games itself. Some fans can aknowledge that and move on. While other hot take experts will complain that they should have fixed everything already... and even if it’s fixed, it will break again... and simply just loud noises over and over.