1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Baker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jeremy Williams, Sep 12, 2020.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

So Harper, Strausburg, Scherzer, Rendon all leaving in cost cutting moves had nothing to do with reduction in wins? And last I checked postseason success is how things are judged here unless you are a 114-win team.

Wulaw Horn and The Beard like this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

At some point the front office is gonna have to make a call and have a no BS talk with Dusty. No Verlander, LMJ,Garcia,and Brantley combined with injuries to Altuve,Chaz,Urquidy and now Yordan. I still think this team is plenty good enough to make the playoffs and win it all, but this is not a 106 win roster. We aren't gonna coast into October jogging like we have in recent seasons.

Not saying you max out every game to try and win never giving days off, but giving games away like Dusty frequently does by choosing not to play his best players and writing clearly lesser players into almost everyday roles has got to stop. We don't have the talent buffer to tolerate it.

3. Buck Turgidson

I don't want a further discussion, but all of this is just not true.

Nick likes this.
  4. raining threes

Of course you dont.

Dusty should've won a championship or 2 with the Giants. They got Dusty'ed. Are you saying that last years team didn't win inspite of Dusty?

You're 5.5 games behind the Rangers and Dusty runs out the lineup he did today. SMH

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Dusty is trying to play too many guys he needs to make his choices and let them gel.

DD

tehG l i d e likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And yet plenty want him to manage like he did back then… same lineups every game. Same bullpen pitchers every game, regardless of usage.

7. raining threes

Nope, I want him to give guys breaks. But if a guy has a 4 hit night and sits the next day. That's inexcusable IMHO. Bottom line is they're going to have to chase down the Rangers with Altuve playing 110 games at the most. That dhould require a change in the way Dusty manages, but it wont. I looked at today's lineup and chose to watch golf today. I see that I made a wise choice.

How many games in a season do you think MLB players should be in the lineup? Then we can have a discussion. Young guys dont need days off like Dusty manages them and I'm not saying they should never get a day off.

Stephen66 likes this.
  8. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

The paradox with Dusty is that the guys play so hard for him that in that sense he gets more out of most players than other managers might. On the flip side, while he is getting more out of them than most, he's also such a bad game day manager that any boost they got from the overal team culture he fosters is lost due to his complete lack of feel for managing a team and inability to make the right decisions at the right time.

everyday eddie likes this.
  9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Dusty giving starters the day off before and after actual days off... is ridiculous. Weekends are not necessary for a mental break.

Tomstro and raining threes like this.
  10. raining threes

I could actually see the merits in giving Altuve days off like this as he works his way back from injury. Pena not so much.

Tomstro likes this.
  11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I agree that the guys like Dusty a lot

But there have been multiple effort issues recently, and even more mental breakdowns on the field

Tomstro likes this.
  12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Was my thought exactly

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The off days are scheduled in advanced based on everything we’ve heard them say the last 3-5 years. They don’t do it on a whim or based on what a player does the day before. He actually wasn’t giving any of the main guys on off-day (Bregman, Alvarez, Tucker, Pena) till Altuve came back and they started working more of them in.

Sure, maybe they’ll be forced to change this pattern based on how the team in playing overall and where they are in the standings… but given that Dusty never used to managed like this, its easy to say that fans also likely don’t have much insight into the process as well.

I will say that players usually do go on a pretty nice run the games after their off day. Bregman/Pena the most recent examples of that. They’ve withstood injuries along with experimentation in the lineup and have maintained a 90+ win pace. One hot week (even after one bad week) gets them back to the 95-100 win pace.

They’re still likely to make moves based on Brantley, LMJ, and Garcia not being able to be full time players any time soon…. Regardless of who’s resting now or who’s playing in the lineup on a semi-regular basis.

raining threes likes this.
  14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Sorry but this says nothing. Stop trying to be the smart guy. Dusty’s lineup today was trash and we scored zero runs. Thats also happening a lot lately. If you have someone pre scheduled for a day off, but you need the win (which we do), and he’s off the next day anyway, you play his ass.

15. raining threes

16. raining threes

Dusty will never change regardless of circumstance.

Dusty also has shown the ability to turn a 100 win team into a 90-93 win team. This feels like a Dusty COVID year team.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Strange considering he didn’t used to manage like this… but whatever.

Given all the analytics we have, would be pretty easy to quantify how much a team truly underachieves… you can use Pythagorean as the most basic of metrics, but there are likely other more robust ones to truly gauge the impact of managerial decisions on wins/losses. I’d also take a covid year to game 7 of the ALCS if we’re truly using that bullshit season as a reference mark.

18. Frank_Duhon

Frank_Duhon Member

I didn't watch today's game, but wasn't Pena drilled in the leg yesterday? Did that perhaps weigh into Baker's decision?

crose likes this.
  19. raining threes

Dont know the answer to this.

20. King713

King713 Member

I figure Dusty is gonna retire after this year regardless of how it ends. He has had plenty of warts but the comments here would suggest a fence post could manage this team. If this team doesn’t repeat and whoever the new guy is can’t do better immediately, the energy needs to be the same.