1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Baker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jeremy Williams, Sep 12, 2020.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I quite agree. As such, his strategy is going to backfire, at least occasionally. Just not today please.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is weird considering for the most part this postseason he's managed more like the numbers than someone that puts faith in his players outside of leaving Greinke in and leaving James in. He's been all about putting his best pitchers at the moment in when needed. Granted, talking with players to know their status is part of the numbers.

#103 Joe Joe, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Exactly...fire Baker to fix all that!

5. elrond

elrond Member

So what's the final consensus on Dusty? Didn't watch much during the regular season, but thought he handled everything well during the playoffs. Felt like he's found a good balance between doing what he wants and listening to his players. I think the announcers today mentioned that he was willing to let Greinke convince him to stay in the game, while today with McCullers he had already made up his mind.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I though Dusty was neither good nor bad in the regular season. The team struggled so I can't exactly praise him, but a ton of s**t went wrong that was largely beyond his control.

I give him a solid A for the postseason. The pitching staff was absurdly distressed, yet all in all he did a pretty damn good job managing them. Him and Click really seemed to be on the same page, and when Dusty had to make a choice I thought most of them were good, and the bad ones were defensible.

My only true issue with him was excessive faith in Josh James, who he frequently trusted with higher leverage situations than he has earned. Hopefully he can have a Framber like offseason and be worthy of that faith next season.

arkoe, jim1961 and Major like this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm fine with Baker, but next year is not the time for feel good hugs. He has to right this ship and hold the bottom of the lineup accountable. The pity party is over.

8. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

Have we fired him yet?

9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Nope and we aren’t going too either. Walk on.

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

how exactly do you do that? Reddick will certainly be gone an replaced everyday by Tucker. Yuli's history tells you he'll likely return to the Yuli of old more so than remain a <.200 hitter. Maldonado will always be Maldonado.

I never wanted to fire AJ but Dusty took a team missing the defending Cy Young winner, the CYA runner up, the defending ROTY, one of the best closers, and some of his most experienced bullpen arms within two head-scratching Altuve errors away from the WS. That's insane.

He's earned that extension.

11. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

Have we fired him yet?

12. PhiSlammaJamma

If Baker dies in a fire, it's a little too ironic, don't ya think.

13. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

It’s time.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

15. Screaming Fist

I loath Baker but I don't know what the right move was last night except for having Pressly go two innings in the slim hope that you somehow score against Chapman. Losing the lead with the massive pen advantage NYY has was a dagger.

16. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

You forgot to bump when the Astros went 8-2. This was going to be one their toughest 2 city road trips of the year. If they win today, I'll take a 3-3 roadtrip.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

What if I told you that I never liked Baker and wanted him gone before the year started.

18. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From today's Chronicle
    I'm sure the anti-Dusty guys will love that! Does he shift because he's falling in-line with the analytics team or does he just not have any say and serves as a proverbial figurehead?

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If were going to fire somebody, I would rather see it be Rob Manfred.

lnchan and raining threes like this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've heard him say a few things that makes me think he has little to do with defensive positioning. I don't see him as a figurehead. If anything, his view on the shift may be detrimental as the biggest problem with shifting is when the pitcher walks guys not believing in the defense.

raining threes likes this.