1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Fire Baker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jeremy Williams, Sep 12, 2020.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

What makes you say that? The story from Chandler Rome shows there are many in the front office that don't like his lineups. In turn Dusty isn't happy that they are chirping. Dana Brown struggles to show support in his weekly radio segment. I think it'll be mutual that Dusty is ready to retire and the front office is ready to move on.

2. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That legendary Dusty stubbornness I'm afraid......

Wulaw Horn, The Beard and marks0223 like this.
  3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Dusty saw what happened on Kirby and realizes coaches can outlast general managers. We should be lucky the chaplain is not running the team.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't think Crane will bring him back unless the players really support him or we win a WS. It would be a PR nightmare if Crane doesn't at least try to bring him back after winning.

Stephen66 likes this.
  5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

The national media will rip Crane regardless if Dusty wants to come back and Crane wont let him

And Dusty knows it

Stephen66 likes this.
  6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

When Dusty took over this team, it was a veteran team coming off of its 2nd WS appearance in 2 years but embroiled in a scandal and in need of positive public image and press conferences.

7 of the 13 position players and 6 of the (expected) 13 pitchers were 30 or older.

Now this team has weathered that storm and has only 3 position players and 5 pitchers projected to make the 26 man roster next year that will be 30+.

Dusty no longer fits this team's needs.

They should offer Dusty a wonderful retirement celebration and a seat between Bagwell and Reggie Jackson for games.

everyday eddie, RussE and Stephen66 like this.
  7. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

What team are you talking about? Next year we will need to replace 1 manager, 1 first baseman, 1 bench catcher, & maybe 1 relief pitcher. The Astros will field what is likely the most in tact team in baseball.

8. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

I think he means from the 2017 season

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Try to focus on the positives. If he's back, it's because we likely won the World Series, you know, again. AND it gives so many something to complain about next season.

Personally, my hope is he wins one more and retires gracefully. Especially if we win again, he's done his job and it's time to move forward. I question a lot of his decisions but winning is still way more fun than not. Could it be more with a different manage? Possibly. Though, I doubt Detroit fans are having a blast even though they have AJ Hinch, who many want back.

Aren't the Texans on their 3rd head coach in 3 years?

10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Only after 3 GMs in 3 years.

11. RussE

RussE Member

Let Baker and Maldy ride off in the sunset with a bottle of wine.

Stephen66 and marks0223 like this.
  12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Dusty still has the team leading the AL West in good position for the Playoffs, and they'd be favored to make the ALCS yet again.

Results speak.

13. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

At this point, you almost can't blame Maldy... dude is just playing his position (at a sub-standard level, relatively speaking)... I'm no apologist, but you almost gotta know he goes out there and does his best-- however; at this point in his career... his best doesn't jive with a championship-defending & catcher-of-the-futre stud playing lights-out/years-ahead-of-him game. For all the nonsense he's been able to put together this season-- there have been a few/far between clutch hits, runs, plays...
    I look at it like this: he IS currently the backup catcher (with experience), but just allowing the other enough time to stay solid.... perspective, friends. I'm tired of being negative on people-- that dude is playing to his contract at the health/age he's allowed. Root for them both-- we need them both... as complicated as it sounds, we can't afford to lose either right now --> October.

All this falls back on Bill O'B... SH!!T, Dusty Baker.
    Every loss, every bad PH sub, every inning/batter SP left in to get rocked, every asinine insane and utterly r****ded fckng quote about "why" & "dont need help managing the ballclub" & "pissing on OUR hometown heroes (yeah, **** you for that Rodriguez comparison quote-- ignorant jack@ss) &"thank me later"... hey, really: **** YOU BUDDY-- I WILL BE THANKING YOU WHEN YOURE NO LONGER A PART OF THIS ORGANIZATION-- now, you wanna be a baller & really cement yourself in history: QUIT FCUKIN AROUND AND GET OUT OF YOUR STINKIN-THINKIN, WOE-IS-YOU, "I'M HERE FOR A REASON" BULLSHIT... maybe its time for YOU to get uncomfortable and get on some new SHi!T that potentially COULD elevate you to Rudy T status... its your choice-- Ostrich it or Own our once in a lifetime opportunity tie it off and keep this train a'rollin...

Stephen66 likes this.
  14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Dusty wasn't here then.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Sorry. I was referring to players age 30 or over and forgot to complete my thought.

13 out of 26 players were 30+ in 2020 when Dusty took over.

Only 8 next year.

This team needs a completely different type of manager.

Stephen66 and Qan like this.
  16. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

No question about needing a different manager.

Stephen66 likes this.
  17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Sure. The results are that he’s been enough of a boat anchor to almost singlehandedly make this race interesting. do
    You also believe eating ice cream results in more shark attacks. There’s a chart that shows those two things moving step by step in tandem with each other. Must mean one causes the other, right?

everyday eddie, Stephen66 and Tomstro like this.
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The only people that can measure how good or bad Dusty is doing at his job are the people in the Astros organization who see what is going on behind the scenes. All we see as fans are the results. Results wise we are doing well, so as fans we cannot conclude that he is dragging the team down. All we know is that he's achieving what we expected from this team.

19. Qan

Qan Member

I feel, results wise, we are lacking though. I feel they can win at least 5 or 6 games more than what they have so far that's directly due to Dusty's asinine lineup set.

InTheGroove, Stephen66 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

regular season wins? don't matter for a team like the Astros. Let's see what lineups Dusty plays in the Playoffs.