1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Baker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jeremy Williams, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Jeremy Williams

Didn’t see this thread. Much needed.

Baba Booey likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Today?

Joshfast likes this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yes Buck! Today! And then fire him tomorrow too if the Rockets lose tonight. Its all Dusty's fault.

4. Buck Turgidson

30 mins before the game?

leroy and dmoneybangbang like this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

I was thinking more during the stretch but I like the way you think

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

A rookie bullpen with a sprinkling of veterans that mostly suck. The rookie of the year stud is out, cy young winner out, 2019 saves leader out. Bregman, Altuve, Springer, Urquidy missing time. Cole to NY. How the hell is this team even within a game of .500? Oh and they lost out on 2 home games where they play well which became loses on the road.

#6 marks0223, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    IowaAstro, RayRay10, lw17 and 11 others like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not a fan of Baker's. Though, whether they fire him or not isn't going to make much of a difference.

awc713, RayRay10, RustyHarden and 4 others like this.
  8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

This mess isn’t all on Dusty Baker. He’s managing a so-so team and getting so-so results.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros team was a great team entering the season. They are still probably above average if they were given 162 games to sort this out.

RayRay10, jim1961, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

I'm not all that impressed with in-game stuff, we know nothing about behind the scenes/clubhouse/dugout/etc, but I don't see how any change would matter, or would have.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not too worried about regular season results this season. Astros either make it or they don't to playoffs. He may be better than he was, but I don't trust him with an injured and depleted pitching staff...especially one that is over-reliant on rookies.

12. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Delete.

No Worries and ASTR0nomical like this.
  13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Baker sounds lame duckish around here.

lw17 likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Wish that were the case. I expected Garcia and Bielak would have openers. Besides for not thinking Baker manages pitchers in such a way to get the most long term benefit, I also worry he's getting more power such that he will push back on some recommendations (I expect manager to push back a little at times), and possibly undermine some of Luhnow's hardwork at getting front office, manager, and players in sync.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I wasn't thinking that angle. I was thinking in terms of him being a manager that can greatly affect how far we go or not in terms of wins and getting deep into the playoffs. I suggested he may be lame in the sense that the factors controlling these things are not in Baker's control. They are things like covid, injuries, rookies, scandal fallout, certain vets with damaged psyche's, and so on.

But to your observation/opinion, he could very well affect the internal workings of the club and how the different parts relate. For me, I cant yet say whether that influence will help or hinder. But the potential to move the clubhouse away from things Luhnow and Hinch put into place is certainly there. But that would be the case with any previously well established manager. If they wanted a yes man to keep the status quo, they should have hired internally or chose someone green to the job.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think it is hard to find a smoking gun on why a manager should be canned. I f8nd game decisions are usually gray. And even when it is a clear mistake..it usually isn't that bad.

For Baker, it seems him and Click aren't on the same page. One will say so and so pitched on a mound while the other will say it was long toss. Hinch while he didn't always agree with Luhnow, it seemed the communication was better. Granted, this is 2020 so things are harder....though that should lean towards a different manager.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

You could say Baker isnt CLICKing? :D

Rock Block and Joe Joe like this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

My opinion of Baker hasn't really changed. I'm not thrilled with him as a manager (never was), but he's certainly not the reason we've struggled this season. If I had liked the hire I wouldn't be blaming the struggles on him, so I'm not gonna blame Baker because of my preconceived issues with him. The only real complaint I have is that he's shown too much faith in Josh James, but it isn't as if he's rich with reliable pitching options.

There's simply too much I don't know to have a strong opinion. I don't know how the players feel about him, and I don't know what is and isn't being communicated from the front office. Players performance is often completely independent of the manager.

#18 sealclubber1016, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    jim1961 likes this.
  19. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

Everything in the world is Baker’s fault, well nearly everything. Kenny Landreaux has to take some blame.

20. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Keep in mind out of the pool of choices Baker was considered the best equipped to deal with the scandal. Turns out the blowback of that, at least from the fans perspective will come next year. I didn’t want Baker but I suppose I know why they did it. I just didn’t see it as necessary.