1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire at TN Mosque site: Islamophobia still not a problem according to some idiots

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Oski2005, Aug 29, 2010.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What are you even trying to say? Your post sounds confused.

2. s land balla

s land balla Member

It's sad when the same thing happens 1,000 years later (USA), isn't it?

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you. But in this case, the poster I was responding to isn't exactly saying that. He says he hates practices and beliefs that the "belief system" follows. Shockingly enough, the adherents to that belief system are the ones who are following those things. Does that not make them one and the same?

I understand that you get the difference. That's why I was responding to him :grin:
    <br>
    But my point is this, saying that a belief is a threat, but then claiming that you don't have a problem with the followers is a tad bit contradicting.

(again, addressed at tallanvor or whatevzzz)

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

I want to live in whatever society gives me the freedoms I currently have here in America (or am suppose to have). Do I believe a Christian society would give me such freedoms? Close to it.

I am still not sure I am answering your question.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

I do not hate all Islamic beliefs, but I through them all under one umbrella because all the beliefs come from a singular source (the Qur'an).

No, you can't define a person simply by their religion or any other belief. People are more complicated then that.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

To be fair, for more than half of those 500 years, Muslims treated non-Muslims in Andalusia like ****.

For example, there are accounts of Muslims making non-Muslims wear humiliating clothing just so that they could recognize non-Muslims in a crowd. That's where the word "dhimmi" transformed into "slave".

Rape was unusually more common and corruption in the government was incredible.

It was a terrible time for Islam.

Still, the word Cordoba is not a symbol of enslavement or anything. It's merely what they decided to name the mosque in Spain, and that point in time happens to coincide with the height of the Islamic empire. Therefore it's a very common term. For example, Al Cordoba Bookstore near my house are not here to force Sharia upon my neighbourhood. It's just a name which has become a common symbol of how vast the Islamic empire was. It's a symbol of success, and is not even vaguely meant to symbolize oppression, enslavement, or anything of the sort.

In the same way, Columbus day is not meant to symbolize the beginning of the end of the native Americans. It's merely a reference to a success story. No one is saying America should go out and murder indigenous people again to attain that success.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I must correct you.

The Islam you know does not come from a singular source. It comes from multiple sources - the Quran, the Hadith (Prophet's alleged bio), subsequent Tafseers (commentary), and Ijtihad (the legislative process of Sharia for matters which are not adequately covered in any of the other sources).

Many of the beliefs you hold are not from the Quran. It is important that you make this distinction because Shiites, Sunnis, and all other sects agree ONLY on the Quran with each sect then having it's own secondary sources. Their Islam does not come from one singular source. They only share one source.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

I did not know that (Ed McMahon voice). Thank you

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks for being so fair and intellectually honest to point this out.

"Success" = Conquest. Cordoba in this context stands for conquest. Height of the Islamic empire. That says a lot about the true intentions of those who want to build that mosque near Ground Zero.

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    The former statement is what I figured you were saying
    <br>
    In regards to the latter:

It's true that people are more complex than that. Yet I have to ask you, based on what values do you define a person? And, to what extent do those definitions weigh in on your perception of the given person?

Furthermore, don't those views on that certain person flip around to help define your stance on their belief system?

11. nickb492

nickb492 Member

I think it was funny watching the thread go from the initial news of a mosque in Tennessee being vandalized, to being a discussion about the Islamic Center in NYC and Islam being the boogyman to Christian Americans........It's like watching FOX.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

rocketsjudoka was actually the one who changed the subject to being about the Cordoba House. It was not about that before that.

13. Steve_Francis_rules

So you admit that you "disagree" with Hakeem Olajuwon's personal beliefs about a subject you've never heard him discuss?

14. Steve_Francis_rules

All of the USA was forcefully conquered. Does that mean that Americans can no longer list the accomplishments of their nation or that they have to mention the atrocities committed every time they do so?

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

I know he is Muslim. Islam has beliefs about individual rights. So I know some of Hakeem's views on individual rights without him directly discussing it.

16. Steve_Francis_rules

I liked Mathloom's analogy with Columbus and the Americas. Do you think an organization in the USA erecting a statue of Christopher Columbus would be indicative of intentions to annihilate the Native American population?

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, it does not mean that. But choosing a name for that Ground Zero mosque project carries a symbolism to it. And the name they originally chose certainly stands for conquest. There is a reason why they chose to change it for PR reasons. But their true intentions were shown with what they originally chose.

18. Steve_Francis_rules

Except for the fact that, as Mathloom pointed out above, many of the beliefs held by individual Muslims do not come from the Qur'an and are dependent on which sect they belong to.

Do you know for certain Hakeem Olajuwon's beliefs about any individual rights issues?

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, but there is plenty of discussion of whether Columbus day should be celebrated or not.

See for example here: http://www.naplesnews.com/blogs/social-critic/2009/oct/15/peaceful/

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    You say that...

but then:
    <br>
    Your posts sound contradictory?