1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Finding Religion in your 40s

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, Sep 4, 2021.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

to be clear… I’m not interested in fairy tales. As noted, it’s more about spirituality, self improvement and idk… hope??

like I have no problem saying the universe was created from nothing. Because for people that strongly believe in god… well where did god come from? The answer is always nowhere because he/she/it is god. But if god can come from nowhere… why can’t the universe (or all the universes or the universes before this universes) have come from nothing?

but increasingly there is something spiritual about that to me. Not in a sense there is a “god” or I believe in fairy tales. But in the sense that at some point something came from nothing…

that’s only one aspect of it as I rethink my beliefs though.

for others who asked… there’s certainly a component of community, a need for prayer (but again not necessarily to a god and frankly not even necessarily prayer… could be - frankly more likely to be - meditation, etc.), and other aspects to it.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  2. JayZ750

i don’t know. Spent 30 minutes googling just here and it feels, well, very church like.

and I don’t think that’s necessarily something that makes me feel good.

I guess I’m looking for something in between church-like and hippie granola peace and love bro.

Probably some of the eastern religions than maybe make more sense but I’m not sure.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's exactly what my experience with Unitarian Universalist churches. I'm exactly the same as you. Grew up in a fully Jewish home. Had my Bar Mitzvah and that was it. Hung out for TOFTY events into high school but not for religious reasons. I've never had the inkling to come back. However, when I was married (to a Catholic), we were actually married by a Unitarian pastor and attended some services. We would even take the kids to the Christmas service at the one here in The Woodlands. It's about as crunchy as you can get. The one in Austin spent time of their service singing Beatles songs.

4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Cool now, hot later...

B-Bob likes this.
  5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think I can relate to some degree. As I've crossed that age, I find that the idea of religious experience has become more appealing to me. It's not that I'm yearning to believe in the supernatural or miracles. And I certainly don't think religion has better explanations for the natural universe than science. But I think "spiritual" faith, in its purest sense, can help people find inner peace, purpose, and direction.

BleedsRocketRed and JayZ750 like this.
  6. JayZ750

your experience is they are between church-like and granola?

Have you looked into any of the more meditative eastern religions?

my wife is also 100% anti-religious but we do “celebrate” Christmas and Easter - for the presents/candy lol. Just like Halloween or thanksgiving. No religious component involved at all. My kids got no clue what it’s about religion wise.

7. JayZ750

my man! This is what I’m looking for.

8. leroy

We do Hanukkah and Christmas. Ironically, my girlfriend/soon-to-be fiance is also Jewish. Her daughter is 1/2 as are my kids.

I have no interest in any of them. Not feeling the need for it at this time in my life and honestly never really have.

9. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Portia was certainly easy on the eyes. It's a damn shame she hasn't done more movies.

And yeah... awful trailer. His audiobooks, like Choosing Your Own Greatness, are where it's at, IMO.

I think the OP would find value in some of his stuff, but I'm sure most people would say the same about their religion and beliefs.

10. dmoneybangbang

I would suggest volunteering.

I grew up pretty Catholic but would consider myself "spiritual not religious". I'm in my mid 30s and volunteering (I've mostly done environmental stuff) really scratches that itch of "sense of community" and "purpose". I'm sure you can find that in a church, which is why many people are attracted to it. However, you can serve a "higher purpose" without the religious angle in my opinion.

Dream Sequence likes this.
  11. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Did either you or your girlfriend/soon-to-be fiance have being Jewish as a screen/filter on who was acceptable to date?

Maybe something that at least one of you picked up on in a subtle almost subconscious way?

I have a friend who has a sister that is a Nun. We were watching a basketball game at a private school and he got the vibe that one of the mothers used to be a Nun. He asked his brother and it was confirmed that the woman used to be a Nun.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I've always admired The Satanic Temple.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@durvasa 's comment made me think of Maslow's book on religion, seeing your response makes me think you'd likely enjoy it

Nook likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Theres always AA. Or Amway. Start at the top of the cults and work your way down!

15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Holy crap......I looked through every post to see if anyone mentioned AA......of course it's the very last mention.

16. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

closer you get to the end the more attractive afterlife insurance gets ...

17. TimDuncanDonaut

"When I die, I hope it’s peacefully in my sleep, like grandpa

Not screaming in terror, like his passengers."

Rashmon, B-Bob, ico4498 and 2 others like this.
  18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I grew up in an environment where I can choose whatever I want - lol for a kid making that type of decision. Been exposed to Baptist, Catholic, Buddhism, some weird traditions. Gone to bible school and went through reading many of these traditions myself as I got more interested in my late 30s. They all got something to teach me (except for the weird traditions that I won't get into).

If you are looking for spirituality and well-being without the tradition or rituals, consider looking into Easter "religion" like Buddhism. You can start with "talks" you can find on podcast/website/online. I like some of the practices. I respect but ignore the tradition and rituals.

20. leroy

Total coincidence. We met online. Also, neither of us are practicing at all. Though, it did turn out that we went to the same synagogue and Sunday school for a brief time when we were 5. So maybe there’s something to what you said.

Mango likes this.