1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Financial Market Crisis, Where's Bush

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Sep 18, 2008.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't know if this deserves its own thread or not, but I was watching Hardball with Chris Matthews last night, and he said that this reminds him of Katrina. Where is the president? Are the republicans trying to hide the last days of his term. Are they that afraid of being associated with him.

This was also mentioned during the Convention, they don't have the guy there, he has a non prime time speech (at least before the three networks pick up the convention) and the republicans don't even mention his name or that they are the incumbent party. Amazing.

And John Mccain has a real shot of winning with more of the same.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He is about to speak here in a minute.

DD

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

great timing :eek:

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bush is waiting for John McCain to form a commission to figure out what went wrong.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

A lot things have already been done. Not much bush can do now. He needs to stay away. Everything he touches turns bad.

6. deepblue

deepblue Member

Just let Paulson and Bernanke do their jobs, that should be Bush's number one priority.

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

What crisis? This is just a market "adjustment."

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And let Chris Cox be totally asleep at the wheel, like he has been since he started.

Oh but those short sellers! He's gonna get em! Investment banks are endangered species, corporate books are piles of sh-t, but Chris Cox is going to nail them there short sellers! YEa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. deepblue

deepblue Member

So you saying Cox should have seen this mess coming?

10. SamFisher

Well let's see - you look at AIG's disclosure language for the last 3 quarters.

You tell me who those are filed with.

11. deepblue

deepblue Member

I am guessing AIG would be OK if the overall credit market didn't just seize up and you can't borrow anything anymore.

12. SamFisher

Which they assured us in their 8-k's had zero chance of happening.

If you think the SEC has been doing a great job presiding over the erasure of a trillion dollars of market value due in large part to a complete lack of transparency by issuers I simply don't know what to say.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think George has been working out. Doing a lot of running. Looked in shape! How else could he race through his soundbite any quicker, or run away after his little "announcement" any faster, to avoid a question from the media? The dude was movin'!

14. deepblue

deepblue Member

Great job? probably not. To foresee the market meltdown? Don't know if anyone saw this coming. AIG is just one company in the massive credit web.

And what do you mean by lack of transparency? Don't think that's the problem, complexity is the problem.

15. SamFisher

LOL you think this is transparent? From AIG's February 8-K

16. deepblue

deepblue Member

I think that proves those CDO related credit default swaps are very complex, even for the counter parties to understand. Its not like AIG were hiding the fact they own CDS, sounds like they were having trouble developing their pricing model for these things. Remember its AIG's internal methodologies, you can fault SEC on a lot of things, this is hardly the one that stands out.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

or better, correction.

shhhh...people don't want to hear your rationality. That want to have their hands hand, bottoms poweder and feel the warmth of a hug. All the while pointing the finger at a someone, thinking that when they are gone, things will be perfect.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

dude what is your deal, tell people retiring who have invested in private 401k who your type argue for more than social security that this is just a correction.

oski was being sarcastic

19. SamFisher

You don't seem to realize what the Exchange act says if you think that kind of statement passes as an 8-K.

20. deepblue

deepblue Member

That statement seems pretty clear to me, then again I work with these products everyday, and you are looking at it as a lawyer, different perspectives. I guess we just have to agree to disagree.