1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Finally, the GOAT is settled!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by phantoman, Mar 28, 2019.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say. Ok the 1986 Celtics were great according to you, so what? They beat rookie MJ so that really doesn't disprove what's point.

MJ played in the weakest era of basketball, he was rolling around with Pippen whereas the rest of his opponents were 1 star teams. Individually guys like Clyde, Robinson or Hakeem may be pretty good but their supporting cast sucks thats a big reason why MJ dominated his era so much.

Compare that to the competition today and it isnt even close, teams with 2 stars are the norm and of course you have GSW with 5 freaking stars on their team.

I always roll my eyes on people who keep acting like MJ is a god clad in human flesh the standard today is so much higher than the era he played in.

Jontro likes this.
  2. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

Of the 3 people mentioned in that video

MJ has 6 rings
    Kobe has 5 rings and 1 Oscar
    Lebron has 3 rings

I dunno, I think it's a tie between Jordan and Kobe.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Watched all three play their entire careers.

My ranking:

MJ > Kobe > Lebron

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Kobe is certainly a legendary player, but not even in the conversation for GOAT, IMO. LBJ and MJ are.

Clips/Roxfan, nemac and FrontRunner like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lebron is more versatile but didn't have that killer instinct or that instinct was weaker than with Mike and Kobe, he wasn't a chucker.

He preferred kicking it out to shooters to make the final play.

He would be Co-Goat with Mike or worse than Mike bc of his versatility.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

1 Oscar for Animated Short isn't the same as 1 Oscar for Best Film or Best Director

Surely shouldn't be put on the same pedestal as that Bball world championship.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Good answer, Kobe.

8. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Rest in Peace, Kobe.

But sorry, you're wrong.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

how many rings Robert Horry have? Basketball is a team sport. Judging based on 6/5 vs 3 is crazy

sushimaster likes this.
  10. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

And that's where u are wrong Mike may be superior but Lebron Hell No

11. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

I was waiting for someone to bring this point up. One could make an argument that Horry is the GOAT, because he got the most rings with the least amount of effort. In that sense, he was the most efficient at getting rings.

Anyways, I wasn't being serious. I thought the Oscar part was kinda funny. Have you guys seen the video? It was nice seeing Kobe smile and laugh holding up the beef tongue. I still can't believe he's gone.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Lebron is clearly the superior player. It’s really not even close.

nemac likes this.
  13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

LeBron is so much better than Kobe that it is not even a conversation.

Chef Curry > Kobe.
    KD > Kobe
    Malone > Kobe

Etc.

Clips/Roxfan likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Kobe played in the tougher conference and between him and Duncan won 5 championships between each other.

They didn’t hide into the East to get their chips so that’s one up on Bron.

15. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

I'll let u believe that if u want to lol but if u ask the player I'm sure they all will say Kobe and this was before Kobe's death so I believe I'll take their opinion before I take yours lol

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You think all the players would rank Kobe ahead of Lebron? Neat. That’s ridiculous of course and even if you could get every single player to say Kobe was better, they’d just be flat out wrong.

This is not a slight on Kobe who is one of the greatest basketball players of all time, landing comfortably in the top 20 people to ever play the game. But Lebron does almost every single thing better on the basketball court. He’s a drastically superior defender and passer and his efficiency level on offense is markedly greater. Kobe is a better free throw shooter so we can give him that. It’s a silly comparison.

#36 BigM, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

I've always heard this argument a lot but Jordan 15 years and only has 6 rings, if he took all the rings where did the other 9 go? These other guys didnt win a ring cuz their teams all suck and they weren't transcendental players, if it wasn't MJ beating them it was Hakeem, Celts, Lakers or the bad boy Pistons beating them. MJ's batch of opponents were either too weak or like Hakeem were stuck with horrible teams thats why MJ looked so strong in comparison.

I honestly think the only reason Jordan is the Goat is cuz the current crop of bball audience are the ones who idolized him growing up. That's why all the standards and goal posts keep getting moved around to favor Jordan. Like when other people point out that Russell has way more rings than MJ everyone always says his era was weak. But now when Barkley, Stockton/Malone etc are considered weak it's not that they're weak, MJ just took all the rings lol. So by that logic Russell took all the rings in his generation for like a decade. Players started and ended their careers without seeing any other winner other than Russell so obv they would be seen as super weak by comparison.

Not only that the competition seems to increase exponentially till Jordan's era and just stopped there. Like players before Jordan were inferior due to lesser training and knowledge but somehow the players after Jordan are still inferior even if training, knowledge and technology didnt stop progressing since the 1980s.

#37 roslolian, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Easy likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not to mention the influx of all the great international players in the last two decades. In MJ's time Tony Kukoc was considered one of the best Euros in the world. Now lots of foreign players who are as good or better than Kukoc have been playing in the NBA for years.

Patience and roslolian like this.
  19. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

tl;dr I don't assume u are bringing up any arguments that haven't been brought up countless times in these debates over the years before and honestly me neither. It's a new decade and I don't feel like arguing about this sh't anymore. People can bla bla bla all day nobody is going to convince nobody. I'm out.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes but 1 Oscar on first try just two years into retirement is as big a feat vs a director of 20+ years winning best film in a category.

It is a major feat.

#40 Mathloom, Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    roslolian and daywalker02 like this.