1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Finally, Respect from the other side: QFTOS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by raskol, Dec 31, 2012.

1. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

We're slowly starting to get respect from the other side. I've been going through the opponent's forums during most games and slowly, we're getting real respect, as in they're not surprised that they got their butts handed to them anymore. Previously, noone could believe how they lost games to us. Now, teams are worried about facing us and our fearsome offense.

Here are some quotes from the Hawks game:

--"Who is guarding these 3 point shooters? Nobody. They are too good to be left wide open!"
    "This is like reverse Clutch City right here. Instead of tossing it to Olajuwon, and kicking it out to shooters, the guards break everybody down and they kick it out to the shooters."
    source: http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2012/12/3...lineup/?cp=all

--"Jesus christ what in teh hell happened, I just came back after leaving after the first"
    "Harden and Lin penetrated. Layup and open three pointers everywhere"
    source: http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2012/1...s-game-thread#

--"Didn’t watch the game, but allowing 123 points? **** is wrong with us?"
    "Playing the #1 offense in the league. Don’t feel bad, the Rockets dropped 120+ almost every other game on good defensive teams like the Grizzlies, Chicago, and Knicks. Just be glad the Hawks are in the East and will never have to face the Rockets again, who are 12-2 against Eastern conference teams."
    source: http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2012/1...s-game-thread#

--"What happened to defense?"
    "The best offense in the league happened"
    source: http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2012/12/31/3823606/hawks-vs-rockets-final-score

--They did it to Memphis…they did it to Chicago…they did it to the Knicks, twice. This was almost expected, you either match Houston’s pace or completely take away their shooters which is impossible because Harden can’t be stopped.
    source: http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2012/12/31/game-thread-smith-back-in-lineup/?cp=all

If we're slowly getting the respect of even casual fans, you can bet that opposing team's coaching staff are definitely on notice. Let's not play down to low initial expectations and hope to falter somewhere barely making the playoffs, let's play like the fearsome team that we are and try to get home court and put the league on notice for the years to come. Our offense can be frighteningly fast to most teams in the league and our defense can be so much better than what we've shown considering the individual defensive abilities of our players, our bball IQ and our youth. We're gonna make noise this coming playoffs and it's gonna be a glorious postseason.. finally!!

#1 raskol, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    5 people like this.
  2. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

That's cool to see

3. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Yay! Nothing cements a victory like salty tears from the other side :)

4. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Agree with RR, that is cool to read. I hope the networks take notice and give us some more run as well.

5. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

First, Rockets need to prove they can beat the Clippers, OKC and Miami.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

they don't need to prove that this year. this year, just enjoy the fact that we aren't last year's team.

1 person likes this.
  7. Billionzz

Billionzz Member

Good thread, I liked reading it.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

What is this crap? No we don't. We're the youngest team in the league. Here are our official goals for the 2012-2013 season:

1. Play respectably enough to earn the attention and respect of casual NBA fans around the league. This will be done by making the playoffs and getting one (or two) guys in the All-Star game. Being an entertaining out in the playoffs, or even winning a series as an underdog, wouldn't hurt either.

2. Once the respect of casual fans is earned, other high-level NBA talent (*COUGH* KEVIN LOVE *COUGH*) will take notice and begin agitatin' to get on the Rockets Winbus. Stern will order the stormtroopers to start calling Rockets games more favorably. Harden's beard will have its own halo rule in the final two minutes of every game.

3. Raise the trade value of role playing vets like Tony Douglas and Carlos Delfino so that we can get something of value in return for them at the all-star break. I'm talking maybe late firsts, early second rounders. Championship contenders love them some shooters, and that's what we got on our bench now, almost for free, and all because Morey is a good talent evaluator.

4. Build up the confidence of young guys like Marcus Morris and Patrick Patterson, maybe even Greg Smith. AND THEN SHIP 'EM OUT TOO! Bam. That just happened. The difference between young and old role players is that you hold onto young ones a little bit longer, until some team who is folding on their season is ready to dump contracts and higher level talent for young guys on favorable contracts whose potential may yet be untapped. So basically Morris and Smith and Jones and Donuts and basically everyone on our team not named Harden, Asik, and maaaybe Parsons, is available in a trade if some team wants us to build up another package for their superstar. Yes, that means even one Jeremy Lin is tradeable if the right offer comes along. No one wants to admit it, but he's our biggest trade chip right now. Polite kid, good potential still, AND he's a gold mine. If a superstar comes a-knockin', you put him on the table. But not for anything short of one.

//

And those my friends are our Rockets' goals for the coming season. Not "WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP" because that's just unrealistic. But baby steps. We're getting there.

2 people like this.
  9. raskol

If they do, then they'd be World Champions. That's a tough standard to live up to for what is supposed to be a rebuilding year.

10. durvasa

durvasa Member

We had an even better offense a couple season's back and we were one of the highest scoring teams in the league, but it seems like people didn't notice as much back then. Having a prolific individual scorer like Harden seems to earn other teams' respect more than having a great team offense like what Rick Adelman had installed.

1 person likes this.
  11. raskol

But what we really need is a legit all-star caliber 4. If we do trade Lin, it would have to be for an all-star 1. But then, we'd still be short a star 4. If CP3, DWill, Rondo wants to come to H-Town, you'd do it, if not, unless you have one of those deals you can't refuse type of deals, I can't see it happening when our game right now is predicated on run n gun or penetrate n dish which Lin excels at.

12. raskol

True. But this team is special in that they are so young, so newly put together, and all are castaways in some regard trying to prove themselves in this league. I think we have something special here.

13. Come_Again?!

Come_Again?! Member

To think that our offense looked like **** earlier in the year (and last year) and now we are the #1 offense in the league? DAYUMMMM

14. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Coudl you do this from other forum quotes as well/? Tht would be kind of cool. Thanks. Was good to find out

15. AbrahamLincoln

I'm no LOF but I don't see us trading Lin. It could happen of course but I doubt it happens. His potential is through the roof. We are not in a win now mode. We are developing youth so in 3 years time we are heavyweights for a very long time. IMO the most likely trade candidates are Patterson,Morris,Aldrich,Douglas and one of the rookies to sweeten a deal. I can't see Asik,Lin, or Parsons going anywhere.

16. raskol

If Asik could learn to catch the ball and be more consistent on the offensive end.
    If Lin could learn to hit that 3 and be more consistent while avoiding those lazy TOs.
    If Parsons could continue to do what he does while being more consistent as he's in a shooting slump.
    If Harden stays Harden.

These are all good pieces and ones you'd preferrably not get rid of unless a superstar deal comes along. We're in a decent place with good players. Let's allow them to grow together for at least another year before we trade one of them. I hope Morey can land us another star without losing our main pieces.

17. raskol

That's what star power does, bring attention. Eyes gravitate toward star players naturally like movie stars.

18. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Well, if the wolves are handing to us Kevin Love, I would not hesitate to let Lin or Parsons go. And I'm a Lin fan.

19. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

Why woud the wolves want Lin when they have Rubio? If they want our players, the last one probably is Lin since they also already have very good and cheaper back-up PGs.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

what does QFTOS mean?