1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Finally might be able to legally tailgate at Toyota Center.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kam, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

http://www.khou.com/news/Houston-mayor-moves-to-legalize-tailgating-downtown-143415506.html

<script src="http://www.khou.com/templates/belo_embedWrapper.js?storyid=143415506&pos=top&swfw=470"></script><object id="bimvidplayer0" width="470" height="264" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"> <param value="true" name="allowfullscreen"/> <param value="always" name="allowscriptaccess"/> <param value="high" name="quality"/> <param value="true" name="cachebusting"/> <param value="#000000" name="bgcolor"/> <param name="movie" value="http://swfs.bimvid.com/bimvid_player-3_2_7.swf?x-bim-callletters=KHOU" /> <param value="config=http://www.khou.com/?j=143415506&ref=http://www.khou.com/news/Houston-mayor-moves-to-legalize-tailgating-downtown-143415506.html" name="flashvars"/> <embed src="http://swfs.bimvid.com/bimvid_player-3_2_7.swf?x-bim-callletters=KHOU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="470" height="264" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" cachebusting="true" flashvars="config=http://www.khou.com/?j=143415506&ref=http://www.khou.com/news/Houston-mayor-moves-to-legalize-tailgating-downtown-143415506.html" bgcolor="#000000" quality="true"> </embed>
    </object><script src="http://www.khou.com/templates/belo_embedWrapper.js?storyid=143415506&pos=bottom"></script>

Basically, it's a tradition for the Dynamo to tailgate before games. And they could because it was at Robertson Stadium on the campus of University of Houston. As of now, tailgating is illegal in downtown. But city council will take a look at this, and might overturn it. This also affects the Rockets and Astros.

Basically, we might be able to tailgate at Rockets games. I'll be so down to do this for a playoff game on the weekend.

by Doug Miller / KHOU 11 News

HOUSTON—Soccer and tailgating go together like, well, football and tailgating. Houston Dynamo fans crowd the parking lot of Robertson Stadium before every game, boozing up and chowing down in a pre-game tradition.
    But a little known wrinkle in Houston’s code of ordinances that has caught the eye of everyone from city bureaucrats to city council members stands in the way of that game-day ritual. Oddly enough, tailgating outside the new soccer stadium is illegal.
    “I understand it’s against city ordinances at this point,” said Brian Ching, the Dynamo forward who is the team’s star player. “So hopefully we can sort that out and our fans can get back to doing what they love.”
    That’s what the city’s political leaders expect to do this week. Houston’s mayor and city council will consider amending city ordinances to essentially allow tailgating outside downtown sports venues.
    The curious legal problem traces back to a broadly worded section of the city’s code of ordinances. With broad, but very specified exceptions, it basically bans public drinking in downtown Houston.
    “It shall be unlawful for any person to be in possession of an open container in the central business district,” according to the city’s code. “It shall be unlawful for any person to engage in the public consumption of any alcoholic beverage in the central business district.”
    The ordinance makes exceptions for drinking in homes, privately owned buildings, motor vehicles or any place licensed by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission. It does not, however, make an exception for sports fans drinking in a parking lot.
    The amendment going before city council would allow drinking at team-sponsored events outside downtown sports stadiums. Although city officials say it would apply not only to the Dynamo but also the Rockets and Astros, spokesmen for the baseball and basketball teams say they have no plans for any tailgating events.
    People who live and work around the new Dynamo stadium generally support the change. After all, it’s an area whose bars and nightclubs are part of its attraction to new residents.
    “I think it’ll be great for the city, great for this area, especially, because it’ll bring a lot more vibrancy to the old warehouse district,” said Jared Smith, who works in the neighborhood.

1 person likes this.
  2. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Tailgating at NBA games is not very popular where i currently reside. That is mostly an NFL and baseball thing. People tend to do it in the NBA when its playoffs.

3. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Wait, let me guess. She's up for re-election?

4. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

there isn't much demand for tailgating. texas is a football state; not basketball.

5. Pete the Cheat

would they have to shut down traffic on La Branch in front of the stadium to make that feasible?

regardless it's a good idea

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i can't see people tailgating before an NBA game...not widespread enough to shut down streets, anyway.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

These guys approve.

[​IMG]

8. Burko

Burko Member

The whole idea of driving a car somewhere and proceeding to get drunk is a bit strange for a non-American.

9. Red&BlackPudman

You should try it. It's fun.

10. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

who doesnt kill a couple of tall boys before walking into the toyota center??

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

So are we suppose to tailgate on the streets or in the parking garage? Great, now when rockets games start, there is going to be 6 instead of 10 people in their seats. Quick somebody Photoshop that rockets couple looking at tailgaters!

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

tailgaiting partay!!!

13. Pete the Cheat

that's why I had suggested it would make sense to shut down La Branch. the park across the street would be wonderful tailgating fare

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

15. Burko

Burko Member

I'm all for having a drink and a laugh, but surely if you drive then someone can't drink..?

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

I've always played down drinks in my truck then sprint to CityCentre to take a leak.

17. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

Rockets tailgate parties now legal

It's about time they made it official. Come on Red Nation, we can make this more fun than Texans tailgating especially if the Rockets make the playoffs. Any plans or ideas?

18. AggieRocketsFan

Just because it is authorized, do the Rockets still have to say that they allow the tailgating?

19. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Usually, me and whoever I'm with guzzle a 12-pack in the Toyota Center Garage before we head into the game.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

[​IMG]