1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Finally Convinced that Size Matters ALOT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by skyline07, Jan 4, 2012.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

or Euro softs......
    ;) Dmo will be tougher

2. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Its pretty obvious but you nailed it. Whats worse is that we are not even the only size we have. Dalembert.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just a few minor quips...
    The height has always been listed WITH shoes.
    A few of those guys are absolutely 7 footers, and would have been listed as such back in the 80's.

Tyson Chandler, Marcin Gortat, Deandre Jordan, Roy Hibbert, Andrew Bynum, Tim Duncan, Javale McGee, Joakim Noah, Andrew Bogut, Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, Brendan Haywood, Spencer Hawes, Chris Kaman, Brook Lopez

Hell, Kevin Garnett is supposably like 7-1 but he requests to be listed as 6-11...

Yes, Tim Duncan plays center, not 6-6 Dejuan Blair. Duncan guards the opposing C, he jumps the tip to start the game, and he is slow as heck. You are what you guard. Tim Duncan plays the C... Dejuan Blair is the PF when he is in the game with Timmy...

(Andre Drummond is absolutely a footer...)

4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

knote32,

Those listings are from nba.com, which uses only sizes with shoes. NBA.com has never used the "without shoes" for their sizes. For example, Dwight Howard is 6'10 1/4" with shoes but only 6'9" without shoes.

http://www.nba.com/players/

Jordan and Gortat, etc are under 7' with shoes, per NBA.com. They are smaller than 7'fters like Shaq, Mutombo, Yao, Ewing.
    Kaman is 7' , but the listing was for actual starters only. That's why Thabeet wasn't included.

I was wrong about Chandler though.

Garnett is actually 7'. He requested a 6'11" listing, because he did not want to play center. I put Perkins for the Celtics, because he is listed as C.

#24 BetterThanEver, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  5. BetterThanEver

Where did you find that Drummond is 7 footer? I double checked ESPN and the UCONN site for his height.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/drummond_andre00.html

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/61194/andre-drummond

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/andre-drummond

Players usually measure shorter than their reported NCAA heights, too. Some players inflate their heights to increase their draft value. When they come to the draft combine, their stock drops due to missing their listed height(with shoes). It happens every year. No biggie(That's a pun). :)

#25 BetterThanEver, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  6. srrono

srrono Member

all i know is the rockets have been playing for ever without size, now we have SamD Hill PatPat thabeet so our coach is plays small ball for significant minutes not even as a move to match other teams small line up no he puts small ball against 2 7 footers. I dont get it.

7. VBG

VBG Member

I dunno who can compete with Bynum and Gasol. Bynum has been destroying everyone (including Nene).

8. srrono

srrono Member

i understand that but with that logic when hou played Shaq in finals hou should sit Hakeem and put Bullard on Shaq and hope for the best. I mean we arent even leaving a center in we run small ball with 4 G-SF and Scola a soft PF on def.

9. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

I'm sure your wifey would agree..

10. BetterThanEver

McHale is a small ball fail. Thabeet and Dalembert riding pine. Hll at C, instead of his natural position at PF.

At least Adelman played Yao, when he was available. He only went to Hayes, due to injuries.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

because everyone is so size orientated

12. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

We need a bulldog guarding the rim with a big IQ to match.

Here you go
    [​IMG]

13. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Don't worry your pretty little head about it. No one on our current roster will still be on this team in five years.

Oh yeah, tell your wife to quit peeking through my window. It makes my wife feel sorry for her.

14. flipmode

flipmode Member

is this a CarlHerrera thread?

ok.. so...

"it took an encounter with the Black Mamba to figure out that size matters"

15. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Bynum killed us on the boards but I actually think our perimeter defense is a bigger weakness. McHale waited too long to double team Kobe. He was obviously having a great night and after Lee went down we had no answer to slow him down.

16. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

Height doesn't matter…. Dennis Rodman was 6'9 Charles Barkley was 6'6(MAYBE) and those are 2 of the best rebounders of all time.. Rebounding is a art, u have to know how to block out and read the shot and see if you can tell where it will go after it hits the rim, dennis rodman was the best at this, i remember watching a show and him say he can tell if the shot is long, short or to the right or left and thats how he was always able to grab offensive and defensive rebounds..

What we need is a rebounder, if all that matter was Height then Maunte Bol would have averaged 25 a game.. Yao was 7'6 and wasn't grabbing 20 in a game like Kevin Love.. Bynum is a good rebounder and a good center and a REAL asset which is why they will package him and gasol up and ship him to orlando for Howard.. we have crap for assets that NO ONE WANTS…

17. ILoveTheRockets

**face palm**

18. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

i said ideal size for a center in the nba. Not many teams have that luxury and not many 7 ft pan out either. But in the good old days, almost every team had a c/pf combo of players at least 6'10 and upwards.

I also mentioned there were exceptions to the rule like barkely etc, but the ideal c height is over 7 ft, the ideal pf height is 6'10.

19. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

cleverly disguised trade for greg oden thread

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure Morey realized this as well, which is why he had 2 skilled 7 footers in the bag until Stern and two-thirds of this forum said no.